Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Access for Dummies

• 18-04-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I find myself tasked with setting up, and administering, a Linux-based satellite box for someone.

I'd appreciate some advice on being able to do this remotely.

I can connect to the box, and use Putty, Filezilla and the webif interface where necessary, but the bit I need help on is the connection.

- I presume I need to set up port forwarding on his router?

- As they've no static ip that I'm aware of, is there a free solution for this - dynamic dns is what I need here I think, but my router seems to only give two options - DynDns.com and TZO - are these not paid services, and is there a workaround I could use?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

no-ip.com ......... and surely it is his router that needs to have the ddns installed, not yours?
    ... maybe I misunderstand ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

no-ip.com ......... and surely it is his router that needs to have the ddns installed, not yours?
    ... maybe I misunderstand ....

^ Thanks - will investigate..

Sorry, re: router, I could have been clearer - he's with the same broadband service as me..

no-ip.com

Thanks for your help Johnboy.

Seems I've run into a bit of a problem - there's a piece of software that needs to be installed to track the ip changes, where a router doesn't have the ability (as above, the only options on the router are dyndns and TZO): Dynamic Update Client

Trouble is, this fella has no computer to install this on.

The satellite box he's running is linux-based, so I'll have to see if there's a plugin that will work with no-ip - on first look I can see one for dyndns,,

What is the router make and model?

What Linux STB is in use?

Thoughts:

If an old used router which has a no-ip option for DDNS was available then maybe it could be used to update the no-ip account automatically.

Maybe the Dynamic Update Linux app would run on the STB.

Alternatively a R-Pi or such running Linux with the DUC installed could be used.

Thanks Johnboy - will have to verify router make and model - I'm 99% sure he's with vodafone (hg658C), but need to confirm..

The box is the Tiviair Alpha Plus running OpenAtv

• Advertisement

see my edit to previous post in case you missed it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remote Access for Dummies

Don't.

If you need a 50 point guide how to do it you've a great chance of opening yourself wide to attack.

ED E wrote: »
    Don't.

If you need a 50 point guide how to do it you've a great chance of opening yourself wide to attack.

I'm not sure I need a 50 point guide to do it Ed E - in fairness, I thought I was asking fairly pertinent questions, that demonstrated at least a basic idea of what's required.

I'm aware that any port opened on a router needs to be secured with proper passwords.
    It's a Linux-based TV box.
    There are no other computers on the network.

Tons of people have ports open to their home security systems etc.

Do you really reckon it's beyond a non-techy person to set up securely, and I should abandon the idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you want to be secure, give it a static local IP and assign it to the Linux box and open the port only for that device/ip.

DNS duck is good. Dunno if it's pc only based.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UsedToWait wrote: »
    It's a Linux-based TV box.

Ehmmmmm. Look at Mirai and its successors. Compromised embedded linux systems just like that. It may not be your doing at all but most of these boxes never get a single patch and run old exposed as all hell Busybox installs etc.

If its isolated then nothing to lose really, just become a net nuisance if pwnd.

Not skimming - you're probably fine - it was more the premise of the title I was responding to.

• Advertisement

^ You certainly made me more conscious of the security issue, so it's appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

No-IP should work with the Vodafone router to update a free DNS domain. You need to confirm your account every 30 days. They also have a Linux client which I have used for times when using an eir router that didn't have No-IP listed.

Lucifer wrote: »
    No-IP should work with the Vodafone router to update a free DNS domain. You need to confirm your account every 30 days. They also have a Linux client which I have used for times when using an eir router that didn't have No-IP listed.

I use no-ip on a Linux PC, and receive an email notifying me when I need to renew the account ...... think they went to every 28 days, but unsure.
    I run the client software every boot to ensure no-ip always has the correct IP Address.

@UsedToWait
    There might be a simple solution, once the port forwarding is set up, for continuing administration.
    I expect the user will have access to a browser (through phone or tablet if not PC), so a visit to
    https://whatismyipaddress.com/
    by the user will get their IP address which could be passed to you when they request assistance.
    I guess it all depends on the access requirements ..... which I would expect to be minimal after initial set up.

I use no-ip on a Linux PC, and receive an email notifying me when I need to renew the account ...... think they went to every 28 days, but unsure.
    I run the client software every boot to ensure no-ip always has the correct IP Address.

@UsedToWait
    There might be a simple solution, once the port forwarding is set up, for continuing administration.
    I expect the user will have access to a browser (through phone or tablet if not PC), so a visit to
    https://whatismyipaddress.com/
    by the user will get their IP address which could be passed to you when they request assistance.
    I guess it all depends on the access requirements ..... which I would expect to be minimal after initial set up.
    ^ Good idea, and I hope you're right that access requirements will be minimal!

Thanks to all for help.

Will update thread for anyone seeking similar advice in the future when I get it sorted.

At the moment, I have it set up at my place to configure, and to learn the ropes a bit before giving to him..

Advertisement