Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School dilemma

• 18-04-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

So it looks as if we have the choice between a local school within walking distance, religious and small or a fifteen minute drive away that is a large Gaelscoil and multi denominational. The Gaelscoil has a bus that runs near our house too and our creche cover it for after school. But I feel like it's awful getting our young child to commute! Plus it will dramatically change our routine as dh will need to start driving instead of taking public transport. But it's an amazing school. Help !! Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

suilegorma wrote: »
    So it looks as if we have the choice between a local school within walking distance, religious and small or a fifteen minute drive away that is a large Gaelscoil and multi denominational. The Gaelscoil has a bus that runs near our house too and our creche cover it for after school. But I feel like it's awful getting our young child to commute! Plus it will dramatically change our routine as dh will need to start driving instead of taking public transport. But it's an amazing school. Help !! Any thoughts ?

Are either higher up on enrollment policy for your preferred secondary school?
    Do you have a preference to single sex or mixed?
    Which has a smaller class size?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭suilegorma

Similar class size and I think I prefer the secondary for the local school. I'm afraid my DC might feel isolated from her school community because of distance and her local one because she's not in the local school too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I had a similar dilemma- our local school is a three minute drive, bus passes the end of our road, but it doesn’t start until 9.20, and kids can’t be dropped before that. I work in a town about 15 miles from home, just beside that towns gaelscoil, and I start work at 9am. The gaelscoil opens the gates at 8.45.
    I was worried about the kids being commuters, and also about them being a bit isolated from the local community.
    I sent them to the school that’s a good distance from home, for a multitude of reasons, and I have no regrets.
    It’s a total pain on Saturdays when I have to drive them into little johnnies birthday party etc, but overall not an issue. I’ve been making sure my eldest lad goes to football/hurling/cul camp etc to get him a bit more involved locally, and I go to mother and toddler group etc when I can

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would go with the Gaelscoil and as it is the local gaelscoil other kids from the area will be going to it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Actually, re-reading your original post, if you prefer the secondary school options for your local school, and if your life will be easier by sending child to the local school, I’d look at that over the GS, unless local school is a bad choice academically or something

• Advertisement
Advertisement