Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your cycling record (distance wise)? What were you cycling?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

230km. Did Dublin to Galway solo on a giant scr about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

279km. Liege Bastogne Liege in 2014 on a Trek Madone 4.5 Great event.

Mallorca 312 next week :-) Bike unknown until I get there. Unfortunately not my own Bianchi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

WMP wrote: »

You did it the same year as me, fantastic weather. It's still one of the hardest days I've done on the bike. I rode with 39x27 as my lowest gear and I'd have sold my first born for a triple!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭wijam

170km - Gran Fondo NI last year on a Giant Defy - https://www.strava.com/activities/1022423966

Aiming for the Wicklow 200 in June of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Did an audax whilst cycling to/from the event, ended up with about 240Km. Would love to progress further up the audax distance charts once the offspring are a little older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Wicklow 200 with maybe 2.5 ew there and back. Giant Defy 1.

wijam wrote: »
    170km - Gran Fondo NI last year on a Giant Defy - https://www.strava.com/activities/1022423966

Aiming for the Wicklow 200 in June of this year

My only KOM on strava is the 36km odd section for those that missed the cut-off after the food stop. I was in the first half dozen to miss it.

Mallorca 312 next week :-) Bike unknown until I get there. Unfortunately not my own Bianchi.

Best of luck.
    I'd signed up but with the amount of training I've done I'd be lucky to do the 12 of the 312!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

279km. Liege Bastogne Liege in 2014 on a Trek Madone 4.5 Great event...
    You did it the same year as me, fantastic weather. It's still one of the hardest days I've done on the bike. I rode with 39x27 as my lowest gear and I'd have sold my first born for a triple!
    I did it in 2015 when it rained almost all day. I was daunted by what lay ahead of me and ended up over-pacing myself early on so I had a lot left in the tank towards the end. (Probably in my top 5 toughest rides though).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

Yes we were really lucky with the weather. One of my hardest days also although I had a 34x27. Was new to road cycling back then so would love to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

101km on the cycle for inspiration last week. Orwell randonee coming up which will top that... if i make it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

204k.... do I win a prize? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Doc07

308km on a lovely summers day 2016. Entry level Cube

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    230km. Did Dublin to Galway solo on a giant scr about 5 years ago.

is that not implied, I assume everyone elses distance were solo too?;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've never done a very long distance in a single day, but I did a fairly long distance loaded one day late last year.

Morning:
    Cycle to school, two kids in bakfiets: 7.5km
    Home again, without kids in bakfiets: 7.5km
    Afternoon:
    Repeat for home time: 7.5km x 2
    Evening:
    D16 to Finglas with empty trailer: ~16km
    Finglas to D16 with microwave in trailer: ~16km

Total: ~65km

I did wonder whether I should head up to the Dublin hills before midnight so I could get a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

237.7, Eyre Square to St.Stephen's green and home. 13hours including a couple of food stops.
    Done on a Scott Speedster 40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

252km last year with a saddle that tore my h#le apart😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,660 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

125km around West Clare some tears ago on Scott CycloX.
    With brother and set out intending to do about 80km. He was doing directions and next thing we were in Kilkee having to get back to Ennis.

He had to go into a shop in Lissycasey and get a can of coke and Mars bar without money to get me home. :)
    He called later and paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

daragh_ wrote: »
    Thread Closed!

The Wild Atlantic Way Audaxers of 2016 would beg to differ ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Mizen to Malin, solo and unsupported last year

Point to point 595km in just over 29hrs but as I had to cycle to the start point and when I got to Malin I had to turn around and get back to Derry so all in all it was 634k in 32hrs straight through (no sleep)

Felt Z4 2012

It was awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭positron

Euro Fred wrote: »
    634k in 32hrs straight through (no sleep)

:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd need a handlebar mounted Nespresso machine to pull that one off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ED E wrote: »
    I'd need a handlebar mounted Nespresso machine to pull that one off.

You'd be surprised, once you keep hr up sleep can stay away for over 24hrs for lots of people.

There is a rare animal like, Paul O'Donoghue, Jim Fitzpartick, Mr Joe Daly Cycles, @Enduro, etc who can function at a high level for 3/4 days with tiny amounts of sleep.

I chose sleep at the 390km mark on the National 600 and finished in 33hrs rather than the 28hrs of the few lads that went on. I was stopped for 7hrs having a poor sleep so might have made wrong choice. Or I could have fell into a ditch up around Carlow and still be there..

There should be some rules with thread, once you sleep (other than Jim Fitzpatrick style with your head on saddle and similar madness) clock resets maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

other than Jim Fitzpatrick style with your head on saddle and similar madness

Tell us more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Alek wrote: »
    Tell us more :)

A micro sleep; your head falling off saddle is your alarm clock! Actually it might be POD not JF. (you can ask him on MB200)

It makes a sh1tty sleep on a long haul flight sound like a 5 star experience

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On my older bike helmet, it had a ridge so you could lie in a siding and use the helmet like a pillow, when you fell off the helmet, you had enough sleep.

This said, in hindsight, I always found sleeping torturous on an Audax, and if I went back to it, I would try and just push through rather than rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

ford2600 wrote: »
    There should be some rules with thread, once you sleep (other than Jim Fitzpatrick style with your head on saddle and similar madness) clock resets maybe

I suggested that before on a different thread and i was shot down over it. It went along the lines of, if you don't go home its the same spin, even if you sleep.

I would think anything more than 3-5 hours sleep constitutes a new spin considering that's roughly how much sleep i have been getting each night for the last 5 years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The longest I have done without sleep (but stopping for food and tea) is probably about 450km. Including sleep, north of 1200km although the sleep was on a hard floor, very uncomfortabe and about 3hours tops.

The Audax Ireland 24hr TT is coming up soon, that might be a day for new records.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    The longest I have done without sleep (but stopping for food and tea) is probably about 450km. Including sleep, north of 1200km although the sleep was on a hard floor, very uncomfortabe and about 3hours tops.

The Audax Ireland 24hr TT is coming up soon, that might be a day for new records.

I think I got about 3 hours sleep in the Race Around Ireland last year. It's amazing how little sleep you can get away with and still ride a bike. Paid for it after though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Euro Fred wrote: »
    Mizen to Malin, solo and unsupported last year

Point to point 595km in just over 29hrs but as I had to cycle to the start point and when I got to Malin I had to turn around and get back to Derry so all in all it was 634k in 32hrs straight through (no sleep)

Felt Z4 2012

It was awesome

That's pretty epic. Would love to give it a go.

Advertisement