Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor quality road repairs

Options
  • 18-04-2018 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the terrible repairs to roads that are consistently being carried out in Dublin?

I regularly see either potholes or service trenches being repaired very poorly. The council must just lump a volume of tarmac into the hole and hope it's the right amount and self levels over time. The majority of repairs have either large dips or big lumps protruding out of it.

It's more noticeable when cycling, but even in a car you tend to try and avoid these for fear of damaging your wheels. Surely by now the council should be able fill a hole and level it out! Boggles the mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's called delayed set macadam, it's totally useless and DCC don't give two hoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

VonLuck wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the terrible repairs to roads that are consistently being carried out in Dublin?

I regularly see either potholes or service trenches being repaired very poorly. The council must just lump a volume of tarmac into the hole and hope it's the right amount and self levels over time. The majority of repairs have either large dips or big lumps protruding out of it.

It's more noticeable when cycling, but even in a car you tend to try and avoid these for fear of damaging your wheels. Surely by now the council should be able fill a hole and level it out! Boggles the mind.

Its cold and heat. On a hot summers day, tar melts (and has caused deaths) and a bus will "mold" the tar everytime one pulls into a stop.

Pothole filling is done as a temporary fix. All it takes is the water/gas/esb to come along and ruin a good, new surface.

Its not all DDC's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It's not the cold and heat that's causing the problem, it's the way that the majority of holes are repaired. I've seen a number of high quality repairs whereby they have a rectangular/square section of tarmac, perfectly level and it has a seam of tar around the perimeter, similar to this.

I'm not sure what the name of this type of repair is, but it stands up to any weather and rarely have I seen it turn into a pothole again. I don't know why they can't do this for all repairs as they are only prolonging a problem which ends up costing more in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've lodged a ticket today with dublin city co to get a pothole in a cycle lane fixed. Let's see how long it takes. I'll post details tomorrow

It's not the cold and heat that's causing the problem, it's the way that the majority of holes are repaired. I've seen a number of high quality repairs whereby they have a rectangular/square section of tarmac, perfectly level and it has a seam of tar around the perimeter, similar to this.

I'm not sure what the name of this type of repair is, but it stands up to any weather and rarely have I seen it turn into a pothole again. I don't know why they can't do this for all repairs as they are only prolonging a problem which ends up costing more in the end.

What you show is a patch after water/gas/ESB work. Potholes are caused by heat melting the tar or water getting under the tar and freezing causing the road surface to crumble.

A repair will be temporary if the road surface is due for replacement.

Please note the temporary bit. There will be thousands of potholes after the cold snap we had.

As I said the only long term fix is to resurface the whole road.

• Advertisement

Request Number 2320402 Status Inspection Required
    Problem Summary Manhole in cycle lane has sunk
    Assigned Service Representative Roads Maintenance
    Status Inspection Required Request Type Manhole
    Reported On 19-APR-2018 09:41:03

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

prinzeugen wrote: »
    What you show is a patch after water/gas/ESB work. Potholes are caused by heat melting the tar or water getting under the tar and freezing causing the road surface to crumble.

A repair will be temporary if the road surface is due for replacement.

Please note the temporary bit. There will be thousands of potholes after the cold snap we had.

As I said the only long term fix is to resurface the whole road.

The majority of road surfaces are due for replacement eventually. I don't see how a pothole can't be repaired in the same way as ESB or drainage works.

Seen it all yesterday. The Raheny road by the train station Is crumbling away with potholes.

I was driving along it when I see the corpo lads with buckets of hot tar just stepping out in the road and lobbing into various holes, they weren’t even bothering to stop traffic or put cones down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

George's St, Camden St areas are in Sh1te.

On the bend outside bus aras has craters.

Westland roe is in sh1te.

Fairview into the city all along even outside Connolly and before at newcomen bridge the road has collapsed and pot holes everywhere.

So many more places.

The majority of road surfaces are due for replacement eventually. I don't see how a pothole can't be repaired in the same way as ESB or drainage works.

Because it requires a road closure order, the area around the pothole to be removed to a certain depth and the tarmac replaced.

It costs €€€€ and lots of it.

Now if a pothole appears on a recently resurfaced bit of road, the contractor should be going back to repair it under warranty.

When the ESB etc do work, they must leave the surface in good order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

N11 directly across from rte heading north is in Sh1te and was crumbling away not long after the resurface job done on it.

It's worse in the middle Lane .

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

cisk wrote: »
    Seen it all yesterday. The Raheny road by the train station Is crumbling away with potholes.

I was driving along it when I see the corpo lads with buckets of hot tar just stepping out in the road and lobbing into various holes, they weren’t even bothering to stop traffic or put cones down.

Saw the same at St patricks cathedral a couple of weeks ago-guy running out with shovel of tar between moving traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Parkgate St has been in sh1te for several years now, Westland Row is another one.
    On tarmac melting at bus stops- outside the Dart station at Dun Laoighire is a nightmare on a motorbike as there is massive grooves in the road from the weight of the buses. Its pretty dangerous if you dont know about it.

I think the roads in Dublin are generally pretty good but you do have these 200-300m stretches here and there that never seem to get much attention.

Request Number 2320402 Status Inspection Required
    Problem Summary Manhole in cycle lane has sunk
    Assigned Service Representative Roads Maintenance
    Status Inspection Required Request Type Manhole
    Reported On 19-APR-2018 09:41:03

Update on the problem

"Status Referred to Utility - Resolved"

Resolved, must mean, 'not our job'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not their financial responsibility. Will be making the company that owns the duct/manhole pay for it.

Advertisement