Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardener North Dublin

Options
  • 18-04-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Have a garden 10x15 meters that is currently soil finish with no grass on top. Its been scraped clean about 18 months ago when site was cleared. Needs to be rotavated and about 10 tonne of topsoil that can be got over side wall via grab truck. Small 1×5 meter area at front of drive needs to be rotavated and planted with hedge and or nice colourfull shrubs. Have had 4 gardener landscapers look at it. Some give a price but never follow through to do work. Others never call back. They quote 4 to 5k. Its 4 days work approx. Thoughts on a good gardener? Why so hard to get someone do this work? I want no frills really job. A labourer would do. How much should this actually cost. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

4-5k for that! Maybe they're so busy they don't need the work.

I got at least 500sqm relandscaped last year in north Wicklow for about 4k. It started out cheaper but once they started it turned into a bigger job.

This was the original quote:

Material costs
    €320 - 14t graded and screened, topsoil, 2 loads on 7t truck
    €130 - waste removal on 7t truck (per load)
    €100 - peat moss
    €95 - grass seed no. 2
    €150 - hire grass seeder
    €750 - hire 1.5t dumper + 3t digger for 5 days
    ----
    €1545 materials (call it €1550) incl. 1 load of waste removal

Labour costs
    €1250 - 2 guys for 2.5 days

Total: €2800 incl. VAT.
    ---

..and then the extra at the end:

----
    Dump charges 300-170 = 130 (there was some discount applied, can't remember)
    Wood chipper hire 325
    Extra topsoil 240
    Labour 400
    Subtotal 1095
    ----

Only caveat is that they were starting on an established site, they didn't have to start from subsoil. On the other hand, it's much less effort to add material than to take it down and away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Would you consider tackling it yourself or with a buddy? or if there's a local manshed group in your area they might get stuck in for a small cost/donation.

10 x 1 tonne bags of decent topsoil incl delivery (dropped over the wall) in Dublin area €600 from http://www.baggotopsoil.com

150mq rolled turf grass €550 from https://www.howbertandmays.ie.
    I've used the rolled grass in my own place & my sons & I'd never go back to using seed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 franknottaken

Thanks both....that gives me a good idea of costing. Its not a big job...but hard find time myself to do it! Appreciate the advice!

Advertisement