Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SANDYFORD CYCLE ROUTE ( KILGOBBIN / DRUMMARTIN LINK ROAD)

Options
  • 19-04-2018 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

I just noticed this today on the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council website. Please see the below link:

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/transportation/sandyford-cycle-route-kilgobbin-drummartin-link-ro/

Overall, it looks good. Generally, excessive surplus space is being narrowed to make way for a two-way cycle track on both sides of the road.

I say excessive because some of the lane widths are currently over 4 meters wide which is essentially wide enough to fit 2 cars side-by-side albeit tightly.

The only issue I have is that Hillcrest Road is set to loose 2 slip-lanes in favor of near 90 degree angle turns. Now, I don't know if buses use these at present. However, if they don't, it shouldn't be such a problem. On the other hand, if they do, they may have to widen the junction radii to accommodate left turns. Otherwise, the front of the bus would nearly be colliding with the central median of the adjacent Killgobbin Road. That also goes for the left turn from Killgobbin Road onto Hillcrest Road from the west.

Other than that, I think this scheme is a massive improvement for pedestrians and cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I wonder if the narrowing of the vehicle lanes is to encourage them to drive more slowly (and not treat the entire thing like a really long slip road onto a motorway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

happy with a set of lights being put in their, the traffic flys down that road, speeding big issue might slow it down a little

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the roundabout make no sense to me, what cyclist in their right mind is going to wait at the lights*, cross to the inside, travel past the exit they want, cross at another set of lights and then end up on the wrong side of the road, invariably having to wait at yet more lights at the next junction over simply staying in a road lane...???

*- especially given how long any pedestrian or non traffic lane lights tend to take in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Not a major fan of the shared spaces on the corners, but the cycle track itself looks quite good. Box turns seem like a good addition, a bit skeptical about the cycle lane between the straight-lane and the left turn lane though.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Overall, it looks good. Generally, excessive surplus space is being narrowed to make way for a two-way cycle track on both sides of the road.

Its only one side of the road, no?
    The only issue I have is that Hillcrest Road is set to loose 2 slip-lanes in favor of near 90 degree angle turns. Now, I don't know if buses use these at present. However, if they don't, it shouldn't be such a problem. On the other hand, if they do, they may have to widen the junction radii to accommodate left turns. Otherwise, the front of the bus would nearly be colliding with the central median of the adjacent Killgobbin Road. That also goes for the left turn from Killgobbin Road onto Hillcrest Road from the west.

I don't think buses will have a problem with that. The lack of a filter, in my opinion will cause congestion northbound on Kilgobbin Road in the mornings.

Are the cyclelanes the wrong way round in the plan - i.e. it looks like cycling is on the right hand side of the two way cycle lanes. :eek:

Hopefully, when the Bracken Road junction is signalised, they will keep with the plan - i.e. holding the left turn from the link road while straight through traffic is green - its a massive bug bear with me on certain cycle routes, which meet red lights when straight through motorised traffic is green.

I'll hold my thoughts on the roundabout until I see it in action - but I've significant reservations as to how it will work in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Am I right in thinking that a cyclist will need to go through four signalised crossings to get through the roundabout?

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The roundabout is bizarre.

The removal of the sliproad on the hillcrest road down toward the M50 is surely going to cause problems, isn't that the quickest way to the m50 for anyone from Stepaside direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

awec wrote: »
    The removal of the sliproad on the hillcrest road down toward the M50 is surely going to cause problems, isn't that the quickest way to the m50 for anyone from Stepaside direction?

Do you mean the sliproad onto the green route? That's still there.

Or do you mean at Kilgobbin Road/Hillcrest Road?

Advertisement