Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi-Fi abroad/Spain

• 19-04-2018 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I'm looking into setting up some sort of Wi-Fi in spain for holidays. It's from my brother with special needs so trying to explain how to set up hotspots to my parents isn't really going to work.
    Last year we rented a single for almost 100euro for 2 weeks
    So this time I was looking at some of the mobile hotspots and thinking of buying one of the Huawei ones

So Its an unlocked one and my question is. Can any sim go in them if I got a SIM for a phone and it had 8gb plan can I just put it into this machine. Going by three I can but only on a bill pay sim. Also I've seen some things that imply it's illegal?!!?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm out of my comfort zone here. But thinking of saving money in the long run and the internet is needed for the 2 weeks.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

I was just talking about this in another thread. I recently bought an unlocked 4G hotspot. Despite being a vodafone bill pay customer when in Ireland I now mostly use my hotspot with a 3 sim card in it. I got fed up of huge(Ginormous in fact) bills from Vodafone for roaming or at home data charges.

I was in Morocco in February and on the first day, bought a pay as you go SIM card with 5 gigs of data on it which cost about 15 euros and it worked fine in the hotspot. We got rained out for 3 of the days so we watched movies off my Amazon fire stick, streamed over the hotspot for most of the time, and I had about a gig of data left over by the end of the week.

My hotspot is also a huawei one. It is 3 branded but is unlocked. I bought it from a small electronics vendor in a shopping centre in Dublin 18. It cost 65 euro, though you'll get a second hand one in CEX for about 25. The battery life isn't great so I just keep it plugged in in work, but its very light.

If I was you I would research spanish providers with the best data plans, and get one when you get over there, and if you run out of data credit, instead of topping up, just buy another SIM. Many of them give 5 free gigs if you buy a SIM for a tenner or so.

Advertisement