Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbarron Road, Kilmore, Dublin 5

Options
  • 19-04-2018 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Lads I'm in a pickle. We've unofficially (as in haven't put pen to paper) gone sale agreed on a house on Kilbarron Road, Dublin 5. We've still got time to pull out but I'm completely unfamiliar with the area. I've a few close friends who grew up near by say that it's actually not that bad, used to be terrible years ago but it's really settled down but I've no context for this. Could someone be brutally honest with me?? The fella loves the house and its all coming down to me and what decision I make. I've actually had a bit of a melt down over the decision.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would agree with your friends. It was a different place twenty or thirty years ago. Areas change. Little feckers become parents and most of them cop themselves on. Houses change hands.

It would be busy enough with traffic and ambulances accessing Beaumont, but nicely located schools and shops wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 shinshine

spurious wrote: »
    I would agree with your friends. It was a different place twenty or thirty years ago. Areas change. Little feckers become parents and most of them cop themselves on. Houses change hands.

It would be busy enough with traffic and ambulances accessing Beaumont, but nicely located schools and shops wise.

Thanks so much. I've been in dublin 14 years and never lived that far out. We've got a chance to buy a lovely home with money left over to do what we want after 2 long years of living in a ****e bedsit in order to save. I just want to make sure that this is the right spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ye can't go wrong. Airport, motorways, hospital schools, beaches city centre all within half an hours max drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kilbarron is grand.

If I was to live in the area I'd be looking at Kilbarron too, its convenient for just about everything.

Thanks a millon for the feed back I really appreciate it. This is a massive decision for us and scary as ****. You've reassured me massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

shinshine wrote: »
    Thanks a millon for the feed back I really appreciate it. This is a massive decision for us and scary as ****. You've reassured me massively.

Actually, Kilbarron Road? :eek:

Kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get yourselves up there at various times during the day and night and make sure you're happy with the area. Have a wander around during the day and have a chat to the local shop keepers/security staff. Go and have a pint in the local. It's a massive investment and worth a bit of time and planning.

There are some good bars in the area, the Kilmardinny is within walking distance. The Cock and Bull in Coolock village is lovely and comfortable midweek, I've never drank there on the weekend and The Beaumont House is a short taxi ride (although personally I hate the place).

Kilbarrack and Northside shopping centers are a small walk too, if you're driving you're right on the M1 and M50.

Ben Dunnes gym in Northwood is a few minutes away too.

There's a few shams around, but hey you're going to get that everywhere.

Best of luck if you make the move, I hope you and your BF are very happy there.

(Nope, I'm not from Coolock but I'm very familiar with the area)

Again thanks everyone, your feed back has been invaluable. We've had the hardest two years of our lives saving for this mortgage and with the market going the way it is, dodgy estate agents, living with black mold in a freezing bedsit and being outbid by cash buyers and investment funds regularly its been a hard journey and this place at the price it is seemed too good to be true. We've spend the weekend just gone, the first half of this week out there and visited late at night so I think we'll have a good sense of the area as we're ever going to get before we move in or make a commitment to the sale. You have all been responsible for changing someones life today :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

If it's lacking one thing it's probably a pub but like Mak said they're a short taxi ride away. The A1 is probably nearest one I'd go into personally.

Have you got a car Shinshine?

• Advertisement

Yip. The areas so good cos my job is on the south side but its moving to portrane in a couple of years so the location is perfect to commute between the two in the sense that it'll be equal travel time essentially

Perfect then. A car is needed in that area to get about and enjoy what the Northside has to offer.
    I'd feel a bit stranded on days off if I lived there without a car as public transport wouldn't be too amazing as it's not on a feeder road to other towns (Malahide Rd, Airport Rd. Etc.)

humberklog wrote: »
    If it's lacking one thing it's probably a pub but like Mak said they're a short taxi ride away. The A1 is probably nearest one I'd go into personally.

Have you got a car Shinshine?

I'd have thought The Killer' (Kilmardinny :) ) would be within fairly easy walking distance?.

I'd have thought The Killer' (Kilmardinny :) ) would be within fairly easy walking distance?.

Fairly boring pub though Mak as far as I remember. Last time I was there I had a game of bingo, think it was a tuesday night about 10 year ago (didn't win).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

The Killer has come on leaps and bounds since then I think, but it's in no way a "young person's" pub at all.

The only downside to that area at the moment is the amount of on-street parking you are seeing from the hospital staff, patients and visitors.

Depending on which end of Kilbarron Rd they are on, I'd say the Cock n Bull would be closer to the Kilmore Road end, and the Killer closer to the Castletimon Rd end.

I don't like the A1 at all!

The best thing about the area is the ease of access to places like Howth, Portmarnock on the coast, and parks like St Annes, Newbridge House etc

I'm originally from the area, albeit closer to the village, and would love to move back over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Killbarron is grant area now to live in,we were/will be (hopefully get passed on mortgage) looking at those areas too, as previous poster said, it can be busy with the hospital etc but you will get use to that. It’s central to shops and schools you can’t go wrong. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

Originally from Cromcastle, just off Kilbarron road and still visit my mothers every second day, its a good place to live.
    At my age, the killer is the pub to go and younger people, go to the cock and bull in Coolock Village.

You would have bus stops to the city on your doorstep and the hospital, shops, schools and swimming pool within walking distance.
    I moved out some years ago but wouldn't hesitate to return and like another poster pointed out, there are some undesirable elements but that would be prevalent in any area of Dublin you choose to reside.

Oh! and another plus, absolutely solid built house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Relatives of mine have lived just off Kilbarron Road for over 40 years. As said, it's a settled enough area these days.

Advertisement