Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night meter change

Options
  • 19-04-2018 7:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have day n night meters installed in our apartment.
    I hear a click on the MCB circuit board around 7.05 AM and 12 midnight every day. I was told morning time will switch at 8 am.

Can i change the switch time to 8 AM myself? I don't have access to meters as they are located outside the building and locked.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have day n night meters installed in our apartment. I hear a click on the MCB circuit board around 7.05 AM and 12 midnight every day. I was told morning time will switch at 8 am.

I know nothing about these meters but I did read on the electric vehicle forum that the hours for the night rate are different in summer and winter. I think in winter it's 11pm to 8am & summer is midnight to 9am.

I'd imagine you can't tamper with the meter. Ring your provider for more information.

We are all getting smart meters in the next 3 or 4 years. You won't hear these click

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I have day n night meters installed in our apartment. I hear a click on the MCB circuit board around 7.05 AM and 12 midnight every day. I was told morning time will switch at 8 am.

I know nothing about these meters but I did read on the electric vehicle forum that the hours for the night rate are different in summer and winter. I think in winter it's 11pm to 8am & summer is midnight to 9am.

I'd imagine you can't tamper with the meter. Ring your provider for more information.

We are all getting smart meters in the next 3 or 4 years. You won't hear these click
    If there's a relay/contactor inside the consumer unit making noise, which is activated by the meter, changing meter won't make any change to the contactor / relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Dardania wrote:
    If there's a relay/contactor inside the consumer unit making noise, which is activated by the meter, changing meter won't make any change to the contactor / relay.

AFAIK the new smart meter will be digital. It can take several readings per hour. It's possible in the future that we'll might have 4 order 5 different rates depending on the time of day. Well pay more between 5 and 9pm or whatever the peak time is & possibly cheaper earliest afternoon as they will get a lot of green energy then from pv solar.

Exciting times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dardania wrote:

AFAIK the new smart meter will be digital. It can take several readings per hour. It's possible in the future that we'll might have 4 order 5 different rates depending on the time of day. Well pay more between 5 and 9pm or whatever the peak time is & possibly cheaper earliest afternoon as they will get a lot of green energy then from pv solar.

Exciting times ahead :)
    Exciting indeed (I'm looking forward to see how people's demand change sin response to different costs...), but remember that a lot of people have heating systems activated by the meter. This occurs through a relay/contactor in their consumer unit. So OP's clicking will still occur based on what the meter tells it to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This.

The meter itself doesn't actually change at all, the clock does!

If your day meter is clicking in at 7am, then it's been configured incorrectly. ESB Networks or your provider will need to come out and fix it, even electricians aren't allowed mess with the meter.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi,

I have day n night meters installed in our apartment.
    I hear a click on the MCB circuit board around 7.05 AM and 12 midnight every day. I was told morning time will switch at 8 am.

Can i change the switch time to 8 AM myself? I don't have access to meters as they are located outside the building and locked.

Any help appreciated

It is not permitted to change the clock. The idea is that the clock serves two purposes:
    1) It switches the per unit cost to the cheaper off peak tariff.
    2) It send a signal to the connected distribution board as to when the off peak tariff applies (using a contactor). This can be used to switch on electrical loads that many people only want to use when off peak rates apply (such as storage heaters). However it is possible to make modifications to the distribution board that will permit any electrical load to be switched on or off at any time. Needless to say this may result in a larger electricaty bill.

+1 seamus, you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok, thanks to you all!!

Advertisement