Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transition from bike to run

Options
  • 19-04-2018 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

After a good while I made a return to outdoor triathlon activities yesterday evening, have been training pretty consistently during the winter and spring in the spring.

So cycled my 20k in 36min 30s and hearrate in the 150ties. Arrived back home and jumped off the bike to go do the 5k run, was anything but tired and had plenty left in my lungs.

A dizziness and disorientation appeared, the dizziness got so bad I had to stop, the blustery wind which seemed to be around yesterday evening might have had something to do with it.

A lower back pain also appeared might having something to do with legacy back problems……….
    Any ideas on how to minimize the dizziness and disorientation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

This horrible weather... Give us back snow and wind.... More seriously I have nothing useful to add just try again as it was likely a once off
    aidanki wrote: »
    After a good while I made a return to outdoor triathlon activities yesterday evening, have been training pretty consistently during the winter and spring in the spring.

So cycled my 20k in 36min 30s and hearrate in the 150ties. Arrived back home and jumped off the bike to go do the 5k run, was anything but tired and had plenty left in my lungs.

A dizziness and disorientation appeared, the dizziness got so bad I had to stop, the blustery wind which seemed to be around yesterday evening might have had something to do with it.

A lower back pain also appeared might having something to do with legacy back problems……….

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Providing you have no underlying health issues of course, the dizziness is due to fluctuations in blood pressure and changes in blood circulation when changing from one discipline to the next.

You're changing posture from a seated position to a standing position and making different requirements of different muscles which can cause dizziness in some. There is also the possibility that your blood sugar levels had dropped by the time you had started running. Dehydration may have been a factor also.

It has been particularly windy which would cause you to overexert yourself placing strain on your cardiovascular system as well as your back. If you have been stuck on the turbo trainer indoors in recent months your core stabilising muscles would be weaker too, and this places extra strain on the lower lumbar vertebrae.

I'd suggest trying further brick sessions but at a lower level of intensity till your body acclimatises to the new demands you are placing on it which it does by forming new neuromuscular pathways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭aidanki

TriFirst wrote: »
    Providing you have no underlying health issues of course, the dizziness is due to fluctuations in blood pressure and changes in blood circulation when changing from one discipline to the next.

You're changing posture from a seated position to a standing position and making different requirements of different muscles which can cause dizziness in some. There is also the possibility that your blood sugar levels had dropped by the time you had started running. Dehydration may have been a factor also.

It has been particularly windy which would cause you to overexert yourself placing strain on your cardiovascular system as well as your back. If you have been stuck on the turbo trainer indoors in recent months your core stabilising muscles would be weaker too, and this places extra strain on the lower lumbar vertebrae.

I'd suggest trying further brick sessions but at a lower level of intensity till your body acclimatises to the new demands you are placing on it which it does by forming new neuromuscular pathways.

whats a brick session

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

whats a brick session

A brick is when you run straight off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

whats a brick session

Bike/Run

You should be working in regular sessions with a run off the bike. Even in winter months its often handy to be bale to jump off the bike into runners and off you go. Even if its 5-10 minutes after each bike session to get used to the feeling of running after the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Don’t know if it helps OP but I always find that when I start running off the bike that I find myself going way too fast. I think it is to do with the perception of speed ( your mind is used to going 30 odd kph and then all of a sudden you are going considerably slower, so you subconsciously run faster). Anyway, I pretty much always find I have to force myself to slow down to my usual pace when I start running (using my watch as a guide). If I didn’t do that, I might end up way over exerting myself. Could it be that the dizziness is because you’re going too fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

^^^ same as this

I usually think I'm running at snail pace at the start (slower than my usual snail pace ) but when I check the times afterwards invariably I've run at faster speed than my normal pace. There's probably a setting on my watch I need to figure out to warn me of pace.

Advertisement