Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn feed

Options
  • 19-04-2018 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend where to get lawn feed/ weed killer in bulk. Got a box last year from one of the DIY places but looking to see if better value to be had in a bulk bag somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What amount are you looking to buy?
    What would you call 'bulk'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

ITs only for domestic use but would most likely pass it around family. At the moment using this 10KG job.

10kg is quite a small bag.
    You can often pick bigger bags from the usual suspects like Homebase, Woodies, or B&Q.

Or try your local co-op too if you have one handy. They often have stuff priced decently. I got this for €17.99 at my local one:
    http://www.inishowencoop.ie/garden-outdoors/lawn-garden/plant-lawn-care/lawn-feed-weed-killer/hygeia/greenforce/lawn-feed-weed-moss-killer

They also stock 20kg bags of MoBactor for €30, and its priced at £30 in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Try Neudorff

No need to rake, or so they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Try Whites Agricultural Suppliers just past blakes cross on the old Belfast Road. They sell 25 kg bags of Sulphate of Ammonia , much better value than the normal DIY shops

• Advertisement

ravima wrote: »
    Try Neudorff

No need to rake, or so they say!

I just read about their CleanLawn product, and it sounds very like MoBactor.

Both products mention bacteria and feeding your lawn for 100 days.

I think the bacteria eat the moss?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I got a bag of 10-10-20 from Whites late year and used it couple of times last year and a week ago. Grass is certainly growing. How to kill these weeds ? I was thinking to go back to Whites, if you can advise what to pick please ?

2qs43up.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

bbari wrote: »
    I got a bag of 10-10-20 from Whites late year and used it couple of times last year and a week ago. Grass is certainly growing. How to kill these weeds ? I was thinking to go back to Whites, if you can advise what to pick please ?

Ammonium sulphate in a few weeks when the effects of your latest fertiliser treatment have worn off.

Lumen wrote: »
    Ammonium sulphate in a few weeks when the effects of your latest fertiliser treatment have worn off.

Thanks.

I see on gardenshop.ie, its €33 for 25kg bag which covers 70 M2.

I also have a bag of gran. lime, can that help to get rid off these weeds ? Last time I used was in Oct/Nov.

Thanks.

I see on gardenshop.ie, its €33 for 25kg bag which covers 70 M2.

I also have a bag of gran. lime, can that help to get rid off these weeds ? Last time I used was in Oct/Nov.

No, lime is what you use when you want to grow clover, not get rid of it!

Did you use it on your lawn?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    No, lime is what you use when you want to grow clover, not get rid of it!

Did you use it on your lawn?

Oh No! Yes I bought lime last year and spread it in Oct/Nov last year. It was recommended here in one of the other threads. I guess this explains why I'm getting clover (if that is clover what I've) ?

I guess this explains why I'm getting clover (if that is clover what I've) ?
    It is clover (clover a.k.a. trefoil = three + leaf).

Moss prefers acidic soil, clover prefers alkali soil, so if you're trying to curb moss by adding lime (are you?) there's a risk you encourage the clover.

TBH I don't think it's a good idea to be messing with soil pH unless you're really careful and methodical about it (i.e. are measuring pH before and after the intervention).

No, I wasn't trying to kill moss by lime. It was recommended to add nutrition, thats all. Only used it once last year. Didn't know I was messing with the pH, didn't intend to.
    Do you still think I should buy that Sulphate of Ammonium to kill these clovers ?

No, I wasn't trying to kill moss by lime. It was recommended to add nutrition, thats all. Only used it once last year. Didn't know I was messing with the pH, didn't intend to.
    Do you still think I should buy that Sulphate of Ammonium to kill these clovers ?
    The point of lime is to deacidify the soil, i.e. raise the pH. It's not a nutrient AFAIK. Farmers use it for various reasons but I don't see the point on a lawn.

The sulphate of ammonium should restore the acidity and provide nitrogen for the grass if you apply it precisely, but TBH I'm only guessing based on what you've posted and it's probably best to err on the side of caution with the application.

edit: probably more than you need to know about lime (PDF):

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/soil-and-soil-fertility/Soil-pH-&-Lime-Tech.-Bulletin-No.-2-FAI--Teagasc.pdf

tldr: lime is partly a solution to a problem caused by nitrogen fertiliser use, which itself is used to push the productivity of agricultural land. So not really applicable to lawn maintenance unless you're trying to address a specific problem with very acid soil.

Would you worry that much about the clover?

From any sort of distance it just looks like grass. Its nice and green and people will say you have a great looking lawn!!

And re: moss, I always thought moss was more a symptom of drainage issues rather than an acidity issue?

NIMAN wrote: »
    And re: moss, I always thought moss was more a symptom of drainage issues rather than an acidity issue?
    I have some lovely mossy rocks that are well drained and pH neutral.

I think moss just needs shade and lack of competition from strong grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

Hi Guys,

Sorry for jumping your thread.. I am looking for advice on planting lawn seed, I've been told its too wet and cold at the minute to do so, is that true? people out cutting grass the weekend and my front garden is shocking thanks to my adorable football loving son :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement