Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druids Glen or Carton House?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

That's too easy an out AhHoor. The likes of Sandy Hills, RCD, and Enniscrone I'd suggest are tougher courses than the Heath, and the latter two also have their share of unusual/twisted/cruel holes. But they're still all very enjoyable to play, even when they completely destroy you. There's something unrelenting about the Heath, and it's not just the layout. The ingredients seem fine, but it produces a nasty cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Russman wrote: »
    At what point does "tough" become "stupid" ?
    Yes, Heath is very tough and there are a number of very good holes on it, but there are also quite a few that, despite being marketed as unique or challenging etc., are just plain silly IMHO.
    I'd agree if you're suggesting that most people play it off the wrong tees for their ability, but no matter what tees you play it off, its hardly ever an enjoyable track, again purely IMO.

Answering your question in the Heath, I think White tees are tough, and Blue and beyond are stupid.

What holes are silly? Im genuinely asking, because I only think the 15th is silly (if even) but that's only because it's a rare Par 5 in terms of tightness rather than distance off the Green tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

AhHaor wrote: »
    Answering your question in the Heath, I think White tees are tough, and Blue and beyond are stupid.

What holes are silly? Im genuinely asking, because I only think the 15th is silly (if even) but that's only because it's a rare Par 5 in terms of tightness rather than distance off the Green tees.

Honestly I think the 12th and 13th are just ridiculous holes. I know they're different and unlike any other, but, meh, for me they're stupid.

There's a couple on the front nine, its a few years since I played it so not 100% sure of the numbers, possibly around 6 & 7, ok in fairness maybe silly is a bit strong, but the elevated greens make them very difficult for Joe Club Golfer (granted Joe might be off the wrong tees).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

There are a number of alternate options, that would be similar in standard, with both the hotel and golf courses. Powerscourt could be one of them, nice hotel with a nice bar, its not your standard hotel bar, its like a local pub (if that makes any sense) with 2 very good courses and you can also walk down to the village itself for a few aprés golf pints.- would imagine the price would be similar to Druids / Carton. 
    The K Club - although a little away bit away from a town (Clane 10minutes / Maynooth 15 minutes) - again nice hotel with 2 nice courses. 
    Druids Glen - Exceptional Course, I actually like the Heath, if you play it on a nice day the views can really add to the experience - can lack a bit of atmosphere in the hotel bar though. 
    Carton House - 2 excellent course, both very different styles, location to Maynooth village is a bonus, loads of bars and restaurants to choose from for a bit of grub. 
    also if you wanted something different, you could book into somewhere like clontarf castle or similar and play a bit of links golf along the coast, with proximity to Dublin as well you could be an option! 
    Either way - you wont be playing a Sh!thole! 
    Enjoy !

Advertisement