Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to plant fruit trees?

Options
  • 19-04-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

So we were given a present of 3 fruit trees (2 apple, 1 plum) in pots a few weeks ago, but I've been so busy and the weather so cr@p that I didn't get a chance to plant them in the ground. They're sprouting leaves now, so I reckon it's too late to get them planted out? Anyone know is it ok to leave them in the pots til winter and plant them then? They're currently about 4-5 feet tall saplings. If it is ok, is it also ok to start gently training the branches? They're pretty vertical at the moment and I'd prefer to get them started "branching out", if you'll pardon the pun...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if they're potted, they're fine to go into the ground.

usually when people talk about 'too late to plant' with trees, they're talking about bare root.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

if they're potted, they're fine to go into the ground.

usually when people talk about 'too late to plant' with trees, they're talking about bare root.

Brilliant. I'm off tomorrow, will get the job done then. Cheers!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've not done so. it's worth reading up on how best to stake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

if you've not done so. it's worth reading up on how best to stake them.
    Low and at an angle, for potted ones?

that's the way i did it; and pay attention to the prevailing wind so the tree won't rub against the stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

that's the way i did it; and pay attention to the prevailing wind so the tree won't rub against the stake.

Angled into the prevailing wind and upwind of the tree?

so if the tree bends in the wind, it bends away from the stake - i.e. it should pull on the rubber tie rather than pushing into the stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just check to ensure the trees have a decent root system. Sometimes trees may only have been in posts for a short time and may not be much better than bareroot in terms of root development...

if that is the case, they're as good in the ground as they are in the pot anyway (in terms of watering).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

if that is the case, they're as good in the ground as they are in the pot anyway (in terms of watering).

They require different aftercare

See:

http://www.evanspinesnursery.com/whypotted.html

Safest give a quick check eitherway ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement