Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother has to go into care

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

The fair deal is a good deal for most. The cost of healthcare for older people is high. There's more treatments and people are getting older. Funding via the fair deal only contributes a small portion of the high cost of patient care.

Family and person have a choice of Nursing Home (though many are very oversubscribed).

Part of ongoing hospital bed 'crisis' is in part because when elderly patients are admitted to hospital with acute medical issues it becomes clear that they haven't been able to cope at home and are often isolated and neglected. The relatives of elderly patients refuse or delay filling in forms, meeting with social workers, giving information or visiting nursing homes as there is a belief that their relatives money is theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Family and person have a choice of Nursing Home (though many are very oversubscribed).

Part of ongoing hospital bed 'crisis' is in part because when elderly patients are admitted to hospital with acute medical issues it becomes clear that they haven't been able to cope at home and are often isolated and neglected. The relatives of elderly patients refuse or delay filling in forms, meeting with social workers, giving information or visiting nursing homes as there is a belief that their relatives money is theirs.

The hospital planners can be very aggressive and threaten families they will start billing them if they refuse a home.

For patients with specific needs, this can be a real challenge due to shortage of suitable places.

Not sure about the rest of the country but this is a real issue in Dublin. Families are often waiting in a patient to die to free up a bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i've been through the process and its not fair to everyone in the same way. i'in reaility:
    if you have a nice home, the value goes against you.
    if you have worked your life and have a nice pension, it goes against you
    if you have savings and saved your life, it goes against you.

and the person in the bed beside you in the same nursing home gets the same care as you do.
    if you spent all your money, if you didn't work or bother to save for a pension, or sell your home to your kids....... they get the same care as you do.

its not fair to those that did all the right things, and those that didn't do the right things, end up getting the same care.....

i'm telling you now, after what i've seen my dad lose when mam went into a home...... we are getting rid of his money so that in 5 years time, we have something that he can have. he worked his life, went abroad and got a second pension, and saved. this amounted to an extra 120 euro a week big deal! all gone when mam went into a nursing home. both her pensions, a chunk of savings and more besides. my mam lived for 12 years in a nursing home.
    and my neighbour, who never worked much in his life, drank his money away and all the rest...... ended up the room beside her.
    what is fair about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

i've been through the process and its not fair to everyone in the same way. i'in reaility:
    if you have a nice home, the value goes against you.
    if you have worked your life and have a nice pension, it goes against you
    if you have savings and saved your life, it goes against you.

and the person in the bed beside you in the same nursing home gets the same care as you do.
    if you spent all your money, if you didn't work or bother to save for a pension, or sell your home to your kids....... they get the same care as you do.

its not fair to those that did all the right things, and those that didn't do the right things, end up getting the same care.....

i'm telling you now, after what i've seen my dad lose when mam went into a home...... we are getting rid of his money so that in 5 years time, we have something that he can have. he worked his life, went abroad and got a second pension, and saved. this amounted to an extra 120 euro a week big deal! all gone when mam went into a nursing home. both her pensions, a chunk of savings and more besides. my mam lived for 12 years in a nursing home.
    and my neighbour, who never worked much in his life, drank his money away and all the rest...... ended up the room beside her.
    what is fair about that?

I think this country as a whole has issues with accepting responsibility for your own situation and supporting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While there is some of that. A lot of it, is there is no where else to go. Almost no support at home or in the community home care, public nurses and gp completely overwhelmed. Waiting lists in nursing homes. The only place to go is hospital.

But I'm sure that people who drive themselves into the ground and debt looking after elderly parents and other relatives with no kids love to hear that those years of dedication they are only in it for the money. When that money goes into the fair deal scheme anyway and then what's left is taxed.

I'm sure most would say let the state take it all if they thought their loved ones would get better care and quality of life .

• Advertisement
Advertisement