Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House renovation

Options
  • 19-04-2018 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hello,
    my husband and me are thinking of buying a new house, which needs some renovation work. Before we place an offer, we would like to have an idea of:
    1) what works need to be done - if we are missing something structural etc
    2) a ballpark number for the total cost

We know that we need to bring someone to have a look so that they can give us the above information, but we are not sure if we need an engineer, architect, builder etc. Can anyone help?

Also, from peoples' experience on their renovation projects, do you suggest companies that can handle all types of renovation works in one project or separate tradesmen? What would come out cheaper? If possible, can you please PM me with specific suggestions?

Renovation works we will need:
    - Tearing down old floors/carpets and installing new floors/ tiles
    - New bathrooms
    - New kitchen
    - Wardrobes
    - Knocking down walls and putting up one
    - Possibly underfloor heating
    - HRV
    - Air tightnesss
    - Painting inside/out

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sinker wrote: »
    Hello,
    my husband and me are thinking of buying a new house, which needs some renovation work. Before we place an offer, we would like to have an idea of:
    1) what works need to be done - if we are missing something structural etc
    2) a ballpark number for the total cost

We know that we need to bring someone to have a look so that they can give us the above information, but we are not sure if we need an engineer, architect, builder etc. Can anyone help?

Also, from peoples' experience on their renovation projects, do you suggest companies that can handle all types of renovation works in one project or separate tradesmen? What would come out cheaper? If possible, can you please PM me with specific suggestions?

Renovation works we will need:
    - Tearing down old floors/carpets and installing new floors/ tiles
    - New bathrooms
    - New kitchen
    - Wardrobes
    - Knocking down walls and putting up one
    - Possibly underfloor heating
    - HRV
    - Air tightnesss
    - Painting inside/out

Thank you

How long is a piece of string? Depends on quality of finishes and materials etc..

I think I saw 100e/sqft mentioned before as a good estimate for renovation costs

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sinker

mloc123 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string? Depends on quality of finishes and materials etc..

I think I saw 100e/sqft mentioned before as a good estimate for renovation costs

I don't think I am asking for a total cost in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sinker

Just to be clear, I am stating what we need to know (including a ballpark estimate), so that someone can suggest who can help us assess the house and the works that need to take place. I am not asking anyone in here to give me any estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

But his point is you haven't even said how big the house is, how many rooms, where its located in the country will be a factor too etc

e.g. "new bathrooms" - Is that 2 bathrooms or ten?
    Then for a small bathroom you could spend between 2k and 50k replacing it, depending on the finish you are going for.
    So even for a ballpark price, its hard, with the information you have provided, to give an answer.

Re the final price, the builder is the only person who can give you this - but he will need to know what you want to "build". The architect/engineer, if you need/want one, will facilitate you in telling the builder "what" you want to build. A good architect may have some experience of what individual things have cost in other projects he has worked on, but every project is different, so i wouldnt hang my hat on it.

Advertisement