Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Date pushed out again

Options
  • 19-04-2018 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

It looks like the closing date for our purchase is being pushed out a second time and we have only been told the day before again. Our solicitor has already drawn down our mortgage. Y question is, is there anything to stop the seller dragging this on another 2/3 months? Very frustrated at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What where the reasons given, have you signed contracts? Is there any specific performance data you can seek to enforece?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

What where the reasons given, have you signed contracts? Is there any specific performance data you can seek to enforece?

Yes we have signed contracts. The seller seems to be in the middle of buying a new place. This seems to be a new development as when we signed contracts we were under the impression that they were just selling - no other purchase involved. Now they’ve changed their mind and this is causing the delays.

We’ve already drawn down our mortgage and given notice on rented accommodation so feeling really disheartened by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

hold them to the date on the contract. contracts are signed and should be honoured

2-3 months is too excessive to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

In the midst of this nightmare myself. Closing date changed 3 times. Get your solicitor to serve a 28 day notice to close asap. They will have to close before the 28 days or risk losing deposit and or being sued by yourself.
    Very little else you can do but it's better than nothing. There is also an option to persue interest accrued after you close. Talk to your solicitor pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

elle.en wrote: »
    Yes we have signed contracts. The seller seems to be in the middle of buying a new place. This seems to be a new development as when we signed contracts we were under the impression that they were just selling - no other purchase involved. Now they’ve changed their mind and this is causing the delays.

We’ve already drawn down our mortgage and given notice on rented accommodation so feeling really disheartened by this.

I suspect the seller has not yet? In which case you cannot serve a 28 day notice AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

When did you sign the contract. And has the seller signed?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

mloc123 wrote: »
    I suspect the seller has not yet? In which case you cannot serve a 28 day notice AFAIK

Their mortgage has been drawn down, of course seller has signed, mortgage draw down only happens just before close. Really bad form on sellers part, I think solicitor can return money to bank until your ready for it, I'd be insisting on it closing within a week or two, to only tell you the day before is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thestones wrote: »
    Their mortgage has been drawn down, of course seller has signed, mortgage draw down only happens just before close. Really bad form on sellers part, I think solicitor can return money to bank until your ready for it, I'd be insisting on it closing within a week or two, to only tell you the day before is disgraceful.

Yes you would hope the buyer’s solicitor/bank wouldn’t allow a drawdown unless the contract is signed buy the seller, but doesn’t hurt to double-check.

Assuming the contract is signed by all parties, it should include heavy daily penalties for not meeting the closure date on the contract (at least mine did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Very very messy to return funds to bank. Could delay re-drawing when needed.

OP I would be landing the sellers a bill for the interest you're accruing while youve no access to the property, that might move them along

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

28 Day notice but the costs of enforcement are prohibitive - at least that was the advice I was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Can't persue the interest until sale is closed or 28 day notice is up. It's a bit of a joke really how little you can do in this situation. We were advised it's very costly to persue the interest but definitely serve the notice and you'll know your closing within a month at least.

368100 wrote: »
    Very very messy to return funds to bank. Could delay re-drawing when needed.

OP I would be landing the sellers a bill for the interest you're accruing while youve no access to the property, that might move them along

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well... draw down can take place before the seller signs, ours did (both the people buying our house and on the house we bought). We were working on a very tight timeline, but it is something that happens.

Advertisement