Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

sligeach wrote: »
    I meant overhype and he's not the greatest ever player. Second best... probably.

Both Hendry and Davis disagree with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yep. From the two most disliked players on the circuit . . . .

I can understand why Ronnie has his detractors, is Carter not liked on the circuit? I never really warmed to him myself, but I'd be interested to hear why others on the circuit don't like him
    Peter File wrote: »
    The journeyman beats Ronnie. What a hateful man he is

Which one? :)

With Ronnie & Selby gone, I've an eye on Mark Allen for the title. Although I'd love to see either Ding or Higgins take it this year, and for an outside, Kyren Wilson is someone I'd like to see step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Barry Hearn is a numptie,just like his son.Pity Ronnie is gone but history tells us not many players past 40 win the worlds

Have been loads actually though not so much in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Inviere wrote: »
    I can understand why Ronnie has his detractors, is Carter not liked on the circuit? I never really warmed to him myself, but I'd be interested to hear why others on the circuit don't like him

Which one? :)

With Ronnie & Selby gone, I've an eye on Mark Allen for the title. Although I'd love to see either Ding or Higgins take it this year, and for an outside, Kyren Wilson is someone I'd like to see step up.

I'd be happiest seeing Ding, Allen or Williams winning. I've always had an irrational dislike of Ali Carter and Anthony McGill so hoping they don't go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

I meant overhype and he's not the greatest ever player. Second best... probably.

Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, Doherty, Trump, Ding, Hawkins, Selby, Bingham, etc. etc. have all said that Ronnie is the best player ever. But you know best.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »

Not sure he’s among the most disliked, there’s a chap by name of Matt Selt who would be well ahead of him, but he does have a tendency of getting in verbal scraps with opponents. Maybe a bit of the Ian Poulters about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

BBC put Hendry on the spot and I believe he doesn't believe O'Sullivan is the greatest. What do you expect him to say? "No, I'm the greatest"? I find it really irritating how they gush and almost lick O'Sullivan's @r$€;. He's English, so of course he's the greatest. I remember the same $h1t with Jimmy White when he would play Hendry. Completely biased. Hendry in his pomp was far better than O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd like to see Allen, Trump win or Carter, given all he's been through. The tournament will be much more enjoyable now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

BBC put Hendry on the spot and I believe he doesn't believe O'Sullivan is the greatest. What do you expect him to say? "No, I'm the greatest"? I find it really irritating how they gush and almost lick O'Sullivan's @r$€;. He's English, so of course he's the greatest. I remember the same $h1t with Jimmy White when he would play Hendry. Completely biased. Hendry in his pomp was far better than O'Sullivan.
    It's completely fair to have the opinion that Hendry was better than O'Sullivan but you have an obvious dislike for Ronnie which comes across very clearly in your posts. You don't seem willing to give Ronnie any credit. You're well within your rights to think Hendry is the all time number one but you have to give O'Sullivan at least some credit. The guy is one of the best in the history of the game to pick up a cue and is poetry in motion when he's on form. A joy to watch. You can say something positive about him without having to change your opinion that Hendry is the GOAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Brae100 wrote: »
    Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, Doherty, Trump, Ding, Hawkins, Selby, Bingham, etc. etc. have all said that Ronnie is the best player ever. But you know best.

I think it's pretty clear Hendry is the best.

The fact he still to this day holds the ranking titles record is insane considering there are so many more tournaments now. He has two more world titles than Ronnie which is the main benchmark.

The only thing Ronnie has over him is longevity really.

Ronnie v Davis for second best is a closer argument imo.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »

The fact he still to this day holds the ranking titles record is insane considering there are so many more tournaments now. He has two more world titles than Ronnie which is the main benchmark.

The only thing Ronnie has over him is longevity really.

Ronnie v Davis for second best is a closer argument imo.

With John Higgins a close 4th and in the equation for 2nd if he wins the WC this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

mdwexford wrote: »

The fact he still to this day holds the ranking titles record is insane considering there are so many more tournaments now.

Ronnie has played 10 less ranking tournaments than Hendry. 199 vs 189.

Also with a slight bit of bias, he played the likes of Dene O'Kane, Darren Morgan, and Nigel Bond a lot on his routes to the semis of the WC...Just saying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

zuutroy wrote: »

Also with a slight bit of bias, he played the likes of Dene O'Kane, Darren Morgan, and Nigel Bond a lot on his routes to the semis of the WC...Just saying!

And Ronnie faced the likes of Andy Hicks, Dave Harold, Liu Chuang, Marcus Campbell.

Im a huge fan of both players, Hendry was always my favourite, but its impossible to say whos best really. Just glad Ive been able to watch both of their careers from start to finish almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

zuutroy wrote: »

Really, wow that is shocking to me!!
    Very interesting though, always assumed Ronnie would have played far more than Hendry.

Still Worlds is where it's at and Ronnie is two behind.

If he won one more Worlds and got the ranking event record then it's a close argument I think. At the moment I can't have it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well you could argue that hendry can hardly say himself and they need to hype up the sport as much as possible and bigging up Ronnie stands to get more people watching.

During the 90s and early 00s I loved snooker. I remember Ken Doherty winning it and what a buzz it was back then.

From what I remember Hendry was a machine. A professionally ruthless and efficient machine. I don’t think O’Sullivans explosive style would unsettle hendry in his pomp and Hendry wouldn’t fold under pressure.

But what is probably fair to say is that O Sullivan looks to be the most naturally gifted player in the game. When he gets going he is awesome. His temperament is probably not as strong as Hendrys (or at least that’s what I always thought of him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

1000 centuries and more ranking tournaments and triple crowns and I'd give it to Ronnie, but as you say those who disagree will always be able to play the WC card.

With his talent he should've won 10 though, and probably would have if he wasn't a basket case for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ah that other great arguement, who was the greatest.

For me it's Ronnie. At his very best 04/08/12/13 he would take down Hendry at his best 90-96. I also still believe Hendry was a little bit lucky to win his 7 titles. Jimmy should have won two of them, but I'm a Jimmy fan. 92 and 94. You could say he made his own luck. But Hendry was a bit jammy in my view.

I don't think Ronnie was 'lucky' to win any of his 5 world titles. Nobody could touch him when he was like that. Obviously everyone had a bit of luck good or bad along the way.

Have no strong opinion either way, probably Hendrys 7 titles swings it but they were both special in their own way. Hendry greatest, Ronnie greatest talent would sound ok to me.

Interestingly though, not sure of stats off top of my head but if you consider the years when their careers overlapped, and before Hendry entered that rather sharp nosedive, Ronnie more or less held sway over him. They played one final in which I think Hendry had 8 or 9 centuries, possibly including a max iirc, which is probably the greatest snooker match ever held. That was around the golden age of snooker right there.

Have no strong opinion either way, probably Hendrys 7 titles swings it but they were both special in their own way. Hendry greatest, Ronnie greatest talent would sound ok to me.

Interestingly though, not sure of stats off top of my head but if you consider the years when their careers overlapped, and before Hendry entered that rather sharp nosedive, Ronnie more or less held sway over him. They played one final in which I think Hendry had 8 or 9 centuries, possibly including a max iirc, which is probably the greatest snooker match ever held. That was around the golden age of snooker right there.

I can't find that match on cue tracker, the 99 final and the 02 semi final are the nearest thing to it and but the standard of both were astronomical.

The semi final between Ding and Selby last year was probably the highest standard of snooker in a world championship I can recall in recent years especially with the quality of the safety while Allen and Higgins last year was ridiculous from an attacking point of view.

edit: 1997 charity challenge final is the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

I'm starting to think Ronnie might have a problem winning another world championship, ever since he missed the pink to the middle against Selby the end of the first days play of the 2014 final, he hasn't come close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Williams should steamroll Milkins this evening and Wilson should ease to victory tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Jmmy should have won two of them, but I'm a Jimmy fan. 92 and 94. You could say he made his own luck. But Hendry was a bit jammy in my view..

I still occasionally shudder and twitch when the memory of Jimmy missing that black off the spot in 94 enters my head at random times. Childhood trauma.

Love Jimmy but it has to be said, he bottled it. On more than one occassion.

The crack habit didnt help I spose.

I can't find that match on cue tracker, the 99 final and the 02 semi final are the nearest thing to it and but the standard of both were astronomical.

The semi final between Ding and Selby last year was probably the highest standard of snooker in a world championship I can recall in recent years especially with the quality of the safety while Allen and Higgins last year was ridiculous from an attacking point of view.

edit: 1997 charity challenge final is the one.

Yes that’s the game. Think Ronnie makes a huge comeback until Hendry settles it with a 147.

One of the world champ matches was spellbinding stuff too, think it was the sf where Hendry came from behind to pull away to victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

eric hoone wrote: »
    I'm starting to think Ronnie might have a problem winning another world championship, ever since he missed the pink to the middle against Selby the end of the first days play of the 2014 final, he hasn't come close

Although he's sure to win at least one more with very few top young players coming through, apart from china

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

O'Sullivan won't win another Worlds, I believe. He can still dominate the shorter format tournaments and knock up many more centuries and maximums. He's talked about the increasing distractions away from snooker and he probably has a work/life balance which favours shorter matches instead of the slog of the Worlds.

As for the best/greatest debate. He is the most talented snooker player of all time but Hendry remains the most dominant and therefore arguably the best player ever. O'Sullivan never had a run of nearly a decade of almost complete dominance like Hendry.

The greatest/best debate in sport can be an odd thing. Ali is considered the greatest boxer and greatest sports person of all time but he is hardly the best boxer ever. There are many names that boxing pundits would put clearly ahead of Ali in that debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Have been loads actually though not so much in recent years.

Define loads ? And when exactly? 30 years ago when a century was an abnormality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I seriously doubt Higgins or Williams can go all the way here either. New name on the trophy this year. Really it should be Ding all the way now. But as the man once said it's a funny old game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I seriously doubt Higgins or Williams can go all the way here either. New name on the trophy this year. Really it should be Ding all the way now. But as the man once said it's a funny old game.

Ding v Allen final for me. Now watch as both go out in next round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Define loads ? And when exactly? 30 years ago when a century was an abnormality?

It was just an observation, nothing more. You have to go back to Reardon, Spencer, Pulman, the Davis’s and others. I didn’t say it was recent. Though Stuart Bingham was on the verge of 40 when he won in 2015.

Anyway age is an interesting question because after a couple of decades in which a younger generation dominated, the average age of the elite top 16 has been creeping steadily upwards. John Higgins might not win this year but I don’t think it is age that will stop him.

Advertisement