Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

C__MC wrote: »
    Carter will no doubt fluff in the quarter final

Wonder will he watch his opponent in qtr finals? Don't think he watched 1 ball potted by Ronnie, seemed disrespectful. Pity dott blew the 6-3 lead against him, at least dott has manners.

How can you rattle in so many long ones and miss so many sitters? Don’t think I can watch any more of Milkins, it’s just too frustrating.

Think Ding will be too good for McGill and hoping against hope for a composed and authoritative display from Trump.

Wakelin should of beat trump, dunno how he won that match was all over the place at the end, Higgins will be hard to beat now think the only thing that might beat him is his waistline:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Wonder will he watch his opponent in qtr finals? Don't think he watched 1 ball potted by Ronnie, seemed disrespectful. Pity dott blew the 6-3 lead against him, at least dott has manners.

Dott did the same in the Players Championship.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/snooker/players-championship/2017-2018/ronnie-o-sullivan-blitzes-graeme-dott-neil-robertson-sees-off-luca-brecel_sto6684353/story.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'd give Williams a chance but definitely not milkins.
    Higgins is a cert to win with a session to spare

• Advertisement

Peter File wrote: »
    I'd give Williams a chance but definitely not milkins.
    Higgins is a cert to win with a session to spare

Lisowski must be a big price, if he wins 6-2 tomoro he could topple higgins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Lisowski must be a big price, if he wins 6-2 tomoro he could topple higgins

Yes and pigs will be flying. Higgins wont lose 6 out of 8 hes too dogged too experienced too tight.

The big lead will give him the confidence to turn the screw. More like 6 2 to Higgins.

I tip Allen to Win it. See him beating Wilson and has the game to beat Higgins too

Allen to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Seemed like the friggin blue kicked:( huge difference 10-11 to 9-12, disastrous, Ronnie would of won 13-11 but for that darn blue, he was getting into his zone. Won't watch rest of event now, just bits and pieces. Turned into one of the worst championships I seen. Young lyu is a decent player pity he didn't beat Hawkins, another dull sluggish player like Carter who would help you doze off in front of the TV.

What absolute tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

One thing though, the assertion that the standard is better now than 20 years ago is debatable imo. I know the bbc would have us believe that’s there’s more strength in depth now than ever but I’m just not sure that’s true.

I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that the overall standard is higher now than in Davis and Hendry's time. Way higher. That's not to take away from those two who were great players.

Hendry in particular is probably the best all-round player ever in terms of ability, temperament, consistency, domination and basically having pretty much no weaknesses.

But Ronnie at his absolute best is on a different level to anyone who has ever picked up a snooker cue in terms of sheer brilliance. If he had Hendry's temperament and professionalism he could have dominated the sport in the way that Phil Taylor dominated darts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that the overall standard is higher now than in Davis and Hendry's time. Way higher. That's not to take away from those two who were great players.

Hendry in particular is probably the best all-round player ever in terms of ability, temperament, consistency, domination and basically having pretty much no weaknesses.

But Ronnie at his absolute best is on a different level to anyone who has ever picked up a snooker cue in terms of sheer brilliance. If he had Hendry's temperament and professionalism he could have dominated the sport in the way that Phil Taylor dominated darts.

Maybe but I certainly don’t believe it’s clear cut. It’s debatable and the issue I have with the guys on the bbc is they won’t debate it.

If I’ve got it right, the thinking seems to be that because these players now can pot from everywhere and rattle in loads of tons that means the standard is off the charts compared to the 90s and before. I think there’s a lot of angles you can look at this but just consider this question: because he can probably score more tons in a season than Steve Davis in his entire career, does that make Marco Fu a better player than Davis?

I’d guess that’s what Davis was getting at when he made that top 64 comment alluded to above. It’s a laughable assertion to me anyway but it depends how you go about comparing different eras.

aidan24326 wrote: »

Jimmy would of wiped the floor with most these players left in event if it was 1992, faster tables bigger pockets now, hungover or not, he would of been hard to handle. And no empty seats. There will be plenty next week with Ronnie gone. Awful chship this year. Carter ruined it. Numpty.

Great work by whoever chooses camera shot to show the crowd with the ‘ton up’ signs rather than the shot to get position on the last red there from Trump on his first century break.

Who makes those decisions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Maybe but I certainly don’t believe it’s clear cut. It’s debatable and the issue I have with the guys on the bbc is they won’t debate it.

If I’ve got it right, the thinking seems to be that because these players now can pot from everywhere and rattle in loads of tons that means the standard is off the charts compared to the 90s and before. I think there’s a lot of angles you can look at this but just consider this question: because he can probably score more tons in a season than Steve Davis in his entire career, does that make Marco Fu a better player than Davis?

I’d guess that’s what Davis was getting at when he made that top 64 comment alluded to above. It’s a laughable assertion to me anyway but it depends how you go about comparing different eras.

The conditions have changed too with the superfine cloths today the players are able to play much more aggressively, splitting the reds with one touch etc

eric hoone wrote: »
    The conditions have changed too with the superfine cloths today the players are able to play much more aggressively, splitting the reds with one touch etc

Absolutely, very radical changes. The former players could not play the game that is played today because it was simply not possible to do so.

The pockets too have got to a generous proportion that is frankly getting ridiculous. Again the bbc won’t acknowledge that apart from Hendry who, along with joe Johnson on Eurosport, are repeatedly going ballistic with some of the shots that drop on these tables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Yeah I'm not sure I buy that excuse to be honest. It's one that seems to be used all the time to explain Ronnie's sometimes weak mental state. What about Mark Selby?? Mother walked out on him when he was a child. His dad dies when he's around 12 years of age. He then has to be raised by family friends. He's had all of that to deal with and yet he's arguably the toughest player mentally.

• Advertisement

Watching Trump is a grind these days. Walden doesn’t fill me with great confidence either but he will have so many chances he’ll likely only have himself to blame if he doesn’t get over the line here.

Watching Trump is a grind these days. Walden doesn’t fill me with great confidence either but he will have so many chances he’ll likely only have himself to blame if he doesn’t get over the line here.

Trump is very low in confidence but Walden will give him enough chances hopefully,

Trump is very low in confidence but Walden will give him enough chances hopefully,

Yeah I couldn’t see Ricky sustaining any great level over a number of frames. But it’s still very difficult to see Judd becoming a serious contender going forward on the evidence of what we’re witnessing. Would love to be proved wrong on that!

Trump's over rated, BBC will rely on him winning this match to start the silly naughty snooker talk to get viewers, his cueball control is abysmal, Higgins will win this event, only thing that might stop him is his waistline, and runs out of steam cause too many burgers consumed.

Trump's over rated, BBC will rely on him winning this match to start the silly naughty snooker talk to get viewers, his cueball control is abysmal, Higgins will win this event, only thing that might stop him is his waistline, and runs out of steam cause too many burgers consumed.
    Ronnie's only gone a day and my attention is drifting big time. The BBC will have a hard time making this bunch of players interesting to the public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ding destroying McGill 8-0 on the other table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Pretty disastrous for snooker. The champ and the biggest draw gone early. Two of the future generation 8-0 down to old boys. Judd being Judd, and a 42 year old with a cloud hanging over his past as the favourite.

Ding is hardening all the time as tournament favorite. I like what I’m seeing from him, both on and off the table, but this is a new position for him and will bring its own pressure. Will be interesting to see how he deals with it.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Pretty disastrous for snooker. The champ and the biggest draw gone early. Two of the future generation 8-0 down to old boys. Judd being Judd, and a 42 year old with a cloud hanging over his past as the favourite.

Yea dreadful event I'm looking forward to the start of the new season than watching the rest of this crap now, with Ronnie gone, be plenty of bumless seats next week, my tv will get a break also. Carters been through tough times and all, but no need to be angry all the time, loved it when Jimmy beat him 6-2 in uk qualifier this season, loved it. Pity dott blew the lead against him, would still be watching the event today then. Disastrous.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »

I don’t see it as a disaster or anything near. You can’t always have sport the way you want it. We could have Allen v Higgins and Ding v Williams and they are still interesting matches. And Ding not a certainty to get past Hawkins imo.

Would think the game does need some new blood to come through though, like any sport. Probably come from China way things are looking.

Advertisement