Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Trump v Walden is a poor standard this morning anyway. Has to improve you would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

zuutroy wrote: »
    Pretty disastrous for snooker. The champ and the biggest draw gone early. Two of the future generation 8-0 down to old boys. Judd being Judd, and a 42 year old with a cloud hanging over his past as the favourite.

Lisowski is 50-1 to beat higgins, wonder did John ring Ladbrokes this morning? Might be worth a tenner given his past, he's bound to have checked the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hendry must have to bite his tongue 3/4 times every frame and not say what he really wants to. The quality must be driving him nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Judd wins that session 4-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What's the story with the pockets here? Walden knocked a red in close to the bottom cushion, it hit the cushion at the near jaw at least 2 inches out and still dropped. Surely that can't be right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

What's the story with the pockets here? Walden knocked a red in close to the bottom cushion, it hit the cushion at the near jaw at least 2 inches out and still dropped. Surely that can't be right?

Been happening all week the corner pockets are like buckets, and the standard is still dreadful.

With very fine cut clothes the balls slide in easier off the jaws. Plus it’s strongly suspected that the fall of the slate at the entry to pockets is steeper now so gravity inevitably takes its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

I don’t see it as a disaster or anything near. You can’t always have sport the way you want it. We could have Allen v Higgins and Ding v Williams and they are still interesting matches. And Ding not a certainty to get past Hawkins imo.

Would think the game does need some new blood to come through though, like any sport. Probably come from China way things are looking.
    Once Ronnie retires snooker will lose most of it's british and Irish audience overnight. Should be another 5 years yet thankfully

eric hoone wrote: »
    Once Ronnie retires snooker will lose most of it's british and Irish audience overnight. Should be another 5 years yet thankfully

Irish snooker is in the doldrums sadly. Down south anyway. So few clubs around compared to when I grew up and how many kids these days are willing to put in the practice and dedication required to be top class at snooker? Outlook isn’t positive from what I can see anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Trump's over rated, BBC will rely on him winning this match to start the silly naughty snooker talk to get viewers, his cueball control is abysmal, Higgins will win this event, only thing that might stop him is his waistline, and runs out of steam cause too many burgers consumed.

Looking at dings form and start to this tournament is have him slightly ahead of Higgins to win it. Be a great final. Higgins has the know how but ding must think this year is his biggest chance. Playing very confidently.

• Advertisement

Irish snooker is in the doldrums sadly. Down south anyway. So few clubs around compared to when I grew up and how many kids these days are willing to put in the practice and dedication required to be top class at snooker? Outlook isn’t positive from what I can see anyway.

If the money stays good in the pro game hopefully the interest might grow again, it'd be great to have another Ken Doherty to follow

eric hoone wrote: »
    If the money stays good in the pro game hopefully the interest might grow again, it'd be great to have another Ken Doherty to follow

Yeah desperately needed to sustain the interest. Thought Davy Morris had a chance but it’s tough and he had all the guys coming from the Far East to contend with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

It's the same in the uk. Unfortunately it's very hard to make snooker a commercial business these days given the cost of actually running a business. @ 10euro per hour for a table how can you expect to survive. The game is thriving in the middle East and in China, even parts of mainland Europe. It's sad to see that interested has dropped over here. It's hard to get kids interested. They don't have the patience

It's the same in the uk. Unfortunately it's very hard to make snooker a commercial business these days given the cost of actually running a business. @ 10euro per hour for a table how can you expect to survive. The game is thriving in the middle East and in China, even parts of mainland Europe. It's sad to see that interested has dropped over here. It's hard to get kids interested. They don't have the patience

Very true. I’d give Hearn some credit in that the global spread can only be good for the game but I believe they need to do something more to stop the decline in the UK which remains the heartland of the game. Not that I am brimming with answers admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,012 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Seemed like the friggin blue kicked:( huge difference 10-11 to 9-12, disastrous, Ronnie would of won 13-11 but for that darn blue, he was getting into his zone. Won't watch rest of event now, just bits and pieces. Turned into one of the worst championships I seen. Young lyu is a decent player pity he didn't beat Hawkins, another dull sluggish player like Carter who would help you doze off in front of the TV.

Thanks for the laugh at such crap, Buzz Killington.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_Y63B-5CWRU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

BBC have given up now the Williams - Milkins match and have switched to Higgins and Lisowski. Hard blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Good to see Lisowski finally get a frame on the board.
    The WIlliams Milkin game is one for the purist!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Peter File wrote: »
    Good to see Lisowski finally get a frame on the board.
    The WIlliams Milkin game is one for the purist!!!
    Pace has picked up a bit, 6-5 Williams. What do you file away for a living Peter? I would say that is an interesting job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

BBC have given up now the Williams - Milkins match and have switched to Higgins and Lisowski. Hard blame them.

Another miss by Williams there. Abysmal stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mad hatter that Milkins, very loose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Higgins has a chance here...

EDIT: and it’s gone. :( 146 still on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Higgins with a rare 146 break. So close to a maximum, just left the cue ball a bit short on one shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Amazing that 146 is Higgins highest at Crucible. Only 4 146 made there.

Lisowski with another wild one. Lucky hs got the one frame to avoid the complete drubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Amazing that 146 is Higgins highest at Crucible. Only 4 146 made there.

Lisowski with another wild one. Lucky hs got the one frame to avoid the complete drubbing.

Its a complete drubbing regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Higgins is a class act, delighted for him. Allen, Ding, or Higgins to lift the trophy I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jesus Alan lose the cravat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Very true. I’d give Hearn some credit in that the global spread can only be good for the game but I believe they need to do something more to stop the decline in the UK which remains the heartland of the game. Not that I am brimming with answers admittedly.

The problem is that no money feeds back down from world snooker to grassroot clubs. Unlike fai, gaa, irfu, etc. That's a big big problem in my view

The problem is that no money feeds back down from world snooker to grassroot clubs. Unlike fai, gaa, irfu, etc. That's a big big problem in my view

And what parent would want their kid couped up in a snooker hall as opposed to outside playing team sports, remember the old joke about being good at snooker is a sign of a misspent youth!

Yes that’s the case. It’ll always be a minority sport though and hard for kids to access so it’s a tough one. I shudder to think too what happens when gambling sponsorship is outlawed which must surely be a matter of when not if. Without it Hearn would be totally goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Repack lads already this is just boring

Advertisement