Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Couldn't care less about Willie being dropped. He kept saying 'leaving yourself options' a thousand times over and that was just in one frame. I don't understand why they let Clive Everton go, he was good. Not as insightful as a player who actually did it would be but I liked him as a commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MuddyFields.

I'm thinking there could be more to it with Thorne than new blood

Surprised they're keeping Taylor them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

AllForIt wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about Willie being dropped. He kept saying 'leaving yourself options' a thousand times over and that was just in one frame. I don't understand why they let Clive Everton go, he was good. Not as insightful as a player who actually did it would be but I liked him as a commentator.

I hate hearing Clive doing that shootout rubbish on sky because I think it’s a gross insult to his greatness as a commentator. Must be pushing 80 now but still sharp as a tack.

Could be. With Virgo stood down from the UK, it would seem to suggestTaylor is the de facto No.1 and all but untouchable. He’ll be breathing down the snooker airwaves for a fair few years to come I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

To be fair Willie's CV didn't stack up with the other commentators but I liked him better than most. Don't think the gambling problems he had helped his cause...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Willie was caught twice saying the F word live. That's the main reason.

Brae100 wrote: »
    Willie was caught twice saying the F word live. That's the main reason.

JV obviously did himself no favours in that department too

JV obviously did himself no favours in that department too

PC gone mad, as they say. In the meantime, on Eurosport we had Mike Hallet and Phil Studd (worst snooker commentator ever), missing Walden going for that blue that we talked about earlier cos they were too busy talking ****e.

There have been some beauts on BBC though.
    Denis: So why do you think they call it the swans neck Peter?
    Ebdon: I think it's because it looks like a swan.

Another one was Parrott today saying to that Milkins must have a hot date tonight the way he is getting the balls out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sligeach wrote: »
    BBC put Hendry on the spot and I believe he doesn't believe O'Sullivan is the greatest. What do you expect him to say? "No, I'm the greatest"? I find it really irritating how they gush and almost lick O'Sullivan's @r$€;. He's English, so of course he's the greatest. I remember the same $h1t with Jimmy White when he would play Hendry. Completely biased. Hendry in his pomp was far better than O'Sullivan.

One thing I really like about Hendry on the BBC is that he is so honest. There's no way he would answer a question because it's the right thing to say.

He's the most straight forward, honest analyst on the BBC.

Trump was dire again last night. Find him very irritating to watch.. he makes daft decisions at times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

I thought Willie was an excellent commentator. Better than Taylor and ebdon anyway. Can't believe they let him go. Typical BBC. They keep paedo's on but let good guys go. I know Willie had some gambling issues but I thought they were behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I thought Willie was an excellent commentator. Better than Taylor and ebdon anyway. Can't believe they let him go. Typical BBC. They keep paedo's on but let good guys go. I know Willie had some gambling issues but I thought they were behind him.

I think Everton was let go because he was very critical of World Snooker a few years back. I think they influenced BBC's decision.

Wait. What? I missed that in the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That was terrible that they dropped Willie fair play to Hendry for sticking up for him! They should bring back Willie and drop Ebdon!

Clive is very bitter about his axing from the bbc which he covers extensively in his book which is a really good read for any fan.

Can’t remember if this is in the book or I read it somewhere else but Clive tells the story of when Hearn banned him from the crucible press room for something he wrote in the paper. But as Clive was on the bbc team at the time he was allowed to be in the press room with his bbc hat on but had to leave when he was on Guardian duty. Lot of farcical and petty stuff went on in those days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Wait. What? I missed that in the news

Yeah it happened a few years back apparently. My brother told me. Never looked into it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Yeah it happened a few years back apparently. My brother told me. Never looked into it myself.

Might be worth looking in to it before spurting it out on a public forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Just like to say thanks for providing all the match updates, it’s great to get fast updates when your out working.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think Ken and Dennis are awful.

Hendry and Davis are good though.

Clive is still the best though.

Walden messed the previous frame up totally and now can't see him winning a game that looked well within his grasp. Even if he wins still not convinced this will do much for Judd, wont be handed gifts like these from now on.

Judd having a go at another player for taking on a reckless shot....pot and kettle moment if there ever was one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I'm looking forward to seeing some naughty snooker! /sarcasm.

Advertisement