Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

Can anyone tell me where Mr. Willie Thorne is??

You missed a trick there hearn. The great WT was great commentator, dropped for the "f bomb", cudnt be bothered listening to Doherty mcmanus or endon, all abysmal, hendry is actually good, as much as I abhore him for beating Jimmy in them finals. Thorne and virgo should still be there. Compared to them other 3 "new blood" excuses. Shellshocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think Ken and Dennis are awful.

Hendry and Davis are good though.

Clive is still the best though.

I think Ken and Dennis are my favourite combo. They are not too dry. I think Hendry, Ebdon and McManus can be. It's also why I don't mind Virgo continuing on for another few years.

Parrot is just annoying at this stage.
    You can't please everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

eric hoone wrote: »
    And what parent would want their kid couped up in a snooker hall as opposed to outside playing team sports, remember the old joke about being good at snooker is a sign of a misspent youth!

If the kid has a passion for the game, then absolutely, go forth and be the best you can kid. I always roll my eyes at that "misspent youth" saying re Snooker, such utter bollox. God forbid some kids aren't into football, rugby, and other more 'socially acceptable' games :rolleyes:

On topic though, the overall standard this year at the Crucible has been shockingly bad. I'm enjoying the progress, but there's been precious little wow moments compared to wtf moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Inviere wrote: »
    If the kid has a passion for the game, then absolutely, go forth and be the best you can kid. I always roll my eyes at that "misspent youth" saying re Snooker, such utter bollox. God forbid some kids aren't into football, rugby, and other more 'socially acceptable' games :rolleyes:

On topic though, the overall standard this year at the Crucible has been shockingly bad. I'm enjoying the progress, but there's been precious little wow moments compared to wtf moments.

I always enjoy the worlds no matter what but its fair to say this hasnt approached anywhere near vintage standard. Even if quality isnt great it can compensate with close finishes and see saw matches, but we havent had lots of those either. The Ronnie-Carter match was a little bit anti-climactic in the end and I thought we were in for a tight finish today too but that match fizzled out in the end. Still the meat of tournament yet to come so hopefully will pick up.

Still the meat of tournament yet to come so hopefully will pick up.

Exactly. Also, the single table setup brings the real magic usually, so fingers crossed indeed.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Also, the single table setup brings the real magic usually, so fingers crossed indeed.

You get a lot of lads gone now because Ronnie's out and they'd nearly have you think tournament should be abandoned. But must say as much as I like watching him at his best, i've forgotten him already and am just curious to see if either of Allen or Ding, and maybe Hawkins, can raise their game enough to get over the line. I just cant fancy Trump, despite his finish today, but sport has made a fool of me often enough to still have some sort of hope for him against Higgins.

And your dead right too, it's the single table set up at the Crucible that really separates the men from the boys. Thats where the likes of Ding and Hawkins have been falling down in recent years, just havent been able to raise their game when the second table is gone. Allen has been there before, but quite a long time ago so not sure how he's going to react. He has a great support over there so am really hoping he can at least made a very good account of himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some absolutely cracking matches in the quarters to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Most people are probably hoping for or expecting a Ding/Higgins final. I'm hoping for a Wilson/Williams final. Would love if either of those two won. Don't want Higgins or Carter anywhere near the final.

You get a lot of lads gone now because Ronnie's out and they'd nearly have you think tournament should be abandoned. But must say as much as I like watching him at his best, i've forgotten him already and am just curious to see if either of Allen or Ding, and maybe Hawkins, can raise their game enough to get over the line. I just cant fancy Trump, despite his finish today, but sport has made a fool of me often enough to still have some sort of hope for him against Higgins.
    And your dead right too, it's the single table set up at the Crucible that really separates the men from the boys. Thats where the likes of Ding and Hawkins have been falling down in recent years, just havent been able to raise their game when the second table is gone. Allen has been there before, but quite a long time ago so not sure how he's going to react. He has a great support over there so am really hoping he can at least made a very good account of himself.

Indeed, while I love to watch Ronnie play, there's still some huge potential left in the tournament. I'm not a fan of Trump, his shot selection is beyond ridiculous at times, and it's hard to watch someone with the potential to do so well, throw it away out of immaturity or arrogance...he's a hard lad to figure out.

I'm hoping Ding gets it done this year, and failing that, would love to see Higgins lift the trophy again. While Allen certainly has the talent and mentality to get the job done, I find it hard to warm to him. Maybe it's coincidence, but it seems every time he's speaking he's moaning or giving out about something.

• Advertisement

Ding is a worthy favourite for the title but think the price on Hawkins is a bit of an insult and woudn't be calling that q/f too easily for Ding by any means. I dont believe Higgins is anywhere near as good as the player he was, even the one that lifted the trophy in 2010, he just feeds on players weaknesses and makes fewer mistakes. If they meet in s/f, I think Allen definitely has the ability to beat him, as he did at the Masters earlier, just has to believe in himself and cut out the silly concentration errors.

Indeed, while I love to watch Ronnie play, there's still some huge potential left in the tournament. I'm not a fan of Trump, his shot selection is beyond ridiculous at times, and it's hard to watch someone with the potential to do so well, throw it away out of immaturity or arrogance...he's a hard lad to figure out.

I'm hoping Ding gets it done this year, and failing that, would love to see Higgins lift the trophy again. While Allen certainly has the talent and mentality to get the job done, I find it hard to warm to him. Maybe it's coincidence, but it seems every time he's speaking he's moaning or giving out about something.

In a weird way I sometimes wondered whether nearly winning it so young was more of a hindrance than a help to Judd. He seemed to think, and I dont necessarily blame him for it, that it was almost ordained he'd take over Ronnie's mantle playing the way he grew up, with scant regard for the tactical nuances of the game. He got set in his ways, he seems a bit stubborn anyway, and was unprepared when the hard lessons started to hit home and actually looks a bit lost and confused these days, to me anyway. I dont know if thats really the way it is with him, its hard to figure out as you say.

Allen is a bit of a moany g!t alright, though I dont think he is half as bad as he used to be. I know he's a fella with a great sense of humour if you meet or know him. I think he's matured a lot and got to a place in his life where Trump needs to reach if he's going to ascend to a new level. Ding also looks like a fella much happier off the table than he used to be, or gave the impression of being anyway. I do think that will stand to him in a big way for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

I think it's Williams or higgins's to lose, the standard is shocking, but then again were used to watching Ronnie win the UK etc and reeling off 4-5 frames in less than an hour with 4-5 centuries, lost interest in this event when the blue he rolled into middle kicked at 9-11, anyway, he shudnt of been in that situation, guess that's the way she goes. Just can't find any motivation to watch more than 45 mins of the other sessions when he's not still in the draw. Pity dott didn't just put Carter to bed in rd1 when way ahead then would still be interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Harsh assessment but I don't think it's all that unfair. Milkins was a great draw for him, hate to be unkind but don't think Rob has added anything at all to the tournament, the odd staccato burst of potting apart. But like Walden, he just got so far and then simply expired.

I'd kind of agree. I watched him play a shot one handed there the other night, he was snookered trying to escape, and it took a few goes to get it right. There's a place for nonchalance and all, but it almost looked like a piss take tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

buzzing147 wrote: »
    I think it's Williams or higgins's to lose,

If Trump can maintain the form he found in the last few frames of the Walden match he has to be a serious contender. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Would love to see Williams win it great bloke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Don’t think there is any love lost between Ken and Mark Williams I think I recall an interview with him on off the ball about some competition final they were in and Williams wanted to split the winners pot before the final and Ken refused which pissed Mark off.

• Advertisement

Williams played very nicely there in that session, a threat to anyone in that form really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Bit of a joke the size of the pockets

I appreciate entertainment is important but the world championship should keep tight pockets and long matches.

J.Robertson, Milkins and now Ali Carter. It would be hard to come up with a better draw than that I’d say, though hardly Mark Williams fault. Still think it will be a different story once he gets a proper test, whether Carter or beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

J.Robertson, Milkins and now Ali Carter. It would be hard to come up with a better draw than that I’d say, though hardly Mark Williams fault. Still think it will be a different story once he gets a proper test, whether Carter or beyond.

I think Carter will take him. My one concern is that he was so up for and focused on the Ronnie game that subconsciously that may be enough.
    Hope Mark wins though, I have an irrational dislike for Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Williams will struggle against anyone good. He'll go through phases of potting well, but when he ain't he'll have a completely lackluster attitude to all other departments of the game. Does he actually take the game seriously these days?

• Advertisement

That’s true. Allen, though only 16 seed, hasn’t done badly too. It’s just the way it goes. Neil Robertson won the 2010 title I think by beating only one top 16 player which was Carter in the final. Doesn’t come easier than that I reckon but you can only beat what’s put in front of you at the same time.

Advertisement