Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Anyhoo, I am quitely up for Mark Allen. He has been surreptitiously playing some lovely snooker under the radar. Nice fella too who does lots for charity.

I really like Kyren too. When the old man was getting kicked out of the the arena during the Masters final cos his phone was going off and Kyren went out of his way to say to make sure he was allowed back in after the interval. That was a touch of huge class, and IMHO, a sign of a future great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brae100 wrote: »
    Apologies, BTW. I realised as soon as I posted that comment that it came across as a dick comment. Didn't mean it like that. In fairness, you did seem to understand what I was saying. Fair play.

Ah jaysis, no bother. Didn’t mind much at all. Was more a shoulder glance than a full on barge ;)

One thing that made me smile about it all afterwards was when Hendry refused to condemn the whole episode afterwards and kind of gave it his tacit approval almost. There was another match in which the players kept applauding each other’s shots and that disgusted him. “They’re not out there to be pally pally,” he said, or words to that effect.

I’m not excusing players acting like dicks but on the other hand the Ronnie-Ali so called feud is probably the only the snooker led the main sports bulletins. In the same vein I think Ebdons antics in 04 were pretty disgusting but, feck, it made for riveting and compelling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Anyhoo, I am quitely up for Mark Allen. He has been surreptitiously playing some lovely snooker under the radar. Nice fella too who does lots for charity.

Too orange for my liking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'll be the first to admit that I am prejudiced against Carter at this stage, (but not because he beat Ronnie. I think Ronnie can be an insufferable arsehole at times). I have developed a real dislike of Carter. I had huge sympathy for him due to his cancer and Crohn's battles, but he is just not gracious. He also comes across as a bit right wing, pro-brexit etc. While that should not influence my opinion of him as a snooker player, it does. But watch his post match interviews after the Ronnie match. He was obnoxious.
    What's wrong with being pro brexit or right wing.

Left wing Sinn Fein were the biggest eurosceptic party on this island for years before their recent about turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Mixed stuff so far but Allen will definitely be relieved to be level. Not really found his touch yet.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ding will be back there for the afternoon I'd say! Would have been well stoked to get 4-4 there but Hawkins deserves his lead, by far the more settled player. Allen-Wilson looks well tight. Wouldn't surprise me to see both those games go right down to last couple of frames.

• Advertisement

How many more of those can Trump afford in the course of this match? A handy 2-0 goes abegging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A good steal from Trump, he goes 2-1 up now.

Was worried when he was smashign them around early on but did well to win it in the end. Higgins not really at the races yet, imperative for Trump to capitalise early here.

Hendry: "Is that a nine ball table they're playing on?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Hendry giving out about ball hitting cushion and then dropping

Same happened the other day

You just know hearn is behind these crazy pockets.Its all about the entertainment value with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

A century from Trump to go 3-1 up into the mid-session interval. Looks a completely different player now, and he’s a great front runner so it’s in his own hands.

The stats for centuries etc. are meaningless unless the tables are standardized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why can't Eurosport cut to the other game when the one they are showing is on interval?

Ebdon pretending to be a nice guy on TV

He can't even fake that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Williams should be 4-1 up really. Lax safety's earlier in the game allowed Carter his first frame. Williams looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Hendry giving out about ball hitting cushion and then dropping

Same happened the other day

You just know hearn is behind these crazy pockets.Its all about the entertainment value with him.

Ah, the old size of the pockets debate. I've watched a few videos of how they assemble the tables, and the company that does it have templates that have been used for decades. There's only a handful of templates in existance as well, so it's not as if they're using different templates in different tournaments.

Something that probably has changed is the technology around the cushions, and the makeup of the cloths has changed for sure, even since Hendry's pomp.

I'd imagine there's new cloths on for the quarters, which supposedly makes the ball more likely to drop.

I'm not saying there isn't giggery pokery going on with the size of the pockets, but I think it's unlikely. If it was ever proven that the size of the pockets was being adjusted, it would destroy the reputation of the sport.

The tightness of the middle pockets has been commented on a few times during the tournament as well.

There was a segment on with the table fitters this morning. If I understood it correctly, being a technical nonce on these matters, the issue seems to be that the edge of the bevel can't be as sharp as it used to be because the cloth is so thin nowadays the edge of the slate will simply cut through it as balls repeatedly slam into the rail after they enter the pocket. There is no issue that balls are dropping more easily now, whether that entirely explains it or not.

• Advertisement

Ah, the old size of the pockets debate. I've watched a few videos of how they assemble the tables, and the company that does it have templates that have been used for decades. There's only a handful of templates in existance as well, so it's not as if they're using different templates in different tournaments.

Something that probably has changed is the technology around the cushions, and the makeup of the cloths has changed for sure, even since Hendry's pomp.

I'd imagine there's new cloths on for the quarters, which supposedly makes the ball more likely to drop.

I'm not saying there isn't giggery pokery going on with the size of the pockets, but I think it's unlikely. If it was ever proven that the size of the pockets was being adjusted, it would destroy the reputation of the sport.

The tightness of the middle pockets has been commented on a few times during the tournament as well.

Have you not seen the pots that Hendry has been complaining about?

The ball is bouncing against the side cushion and still dropping

Advertisement