Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Have you not seen the pots that Hendry has been complaining about?

The ball is bouncing against the side cushion and still dropping

No, I haven't (I'm in work) so I'll have to see if I can find the clip later. Which match and frame did Hendry make the comment?

Thinking about it logically, if they were going to make the pockets bigger, would they really make it that obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Trump 5 higgins 3 is a surprising early score and so is Carter 4:3 up against Williams with 1 to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No, I haven't (I'm in work) so I'll have to see if I can find the clip later. Which match and frame did Hendry make the comment?

Thinking about it logically, if they were going to make the pockets bigger, would they really make it that obvious?

It was the fourth frame, Trump played a red close to the right rail and it bumped an inch-inch and a half from the pocket and still dropped. Hendry was aghast. "Is this a nine-ball table we're playing on?"

Parrott, who usually wastes no opportunity to tell us how tight these pockets are compared to the clubs, gasped at a red that dropped for Allen earlier.

The pockets aren't bigger. It's a combination of the fall of the slate and the nature of the cloth that is making the pockets more accessible, though admittedly I'm no technical expert. It's just been increasingly noticeable how easier the tables are playing, since around 2014 or 2015 I would estimate, and in my opinion it is compromising the integrity of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Hendry has complained more than once

No doubt too he doesn't like the newer players making it look easier than he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

8 World Championships between the three of them. Some more than others, but still! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ronnie said before the tournament he wouldn't mind getting knocked out early cos he enjoys doing tv analysis. Looks like he meant it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

The pockets aren't bigger. It's a combination of...

Agreed. The pockets can't simply be bigger, because judging by the standard of play so far this year, it simply doesn't add up. There's more to it. If the pockets were bigger, it goes directly against what we've seen with top players not being able to hit a ball lately.

Inviere wrote: »
    Agreed. The pockets can't simply be bigger, because judging by the standard of play so far this year, it simply doesn't add up. There's more to it. If the pockets were bigger, it goes directly against what we've seen with top players not being able to hit a ball lately.

The counter argument there is imagine how bad some of them would look if the tables were playing tighter. Maybe it comes down to pressure being the great leveller, especially at this level. Wilson missed a pot today by about 3 inches, what Virgo would call a "wide".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

The counter argument there is imagine how bad some of them would look if the tables were playing tighter.

Indeed. I'd rather players weren't flattered by an easy table though, and to watch a tactical exchange instead of balls dropping in that shouldn't. Again though, I think it's a cloth/cushion/slate thing, as opposed to a conspiracy to enlarge the pockets. For me the seller is players missing sitters, that just wouldn't happen if the pockets were larger than they were used to - not at this level.
    Maybe it comes down to pressure being the great leveller, especially at this level. Wilson missed a pot today by about 3 inches, what Virgo would call a "wide".

Without a doubt, pressure is a huge factor. To watch Ronnie though in both his matches, he was abysmal - not a man to feel pressure in the first/second rounds really.

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed. I'd rather players weren't flattered by an easy table though, and to watch a tactical exchange instead of balls dropping in that shouldn't. Again though, I think it's a cloth/cushion/slate thing, as opposed to a conspiracy to enlarge the pockets. For me the seller is players missing sitters, that just wouldn't happen if the pockets were larger than they were used to - not at this level.

Without a doubt, pressure is a huge factor. To watch Ronnie though in both his matches, he was abysmal - not a man to feel pressure in the first/second rounds really.

Yeah, i dont know about any conspiracy. I only know what I see and that is tables playing much more generously than they should. Then you hear some of the commentators going on about how unbelievably talented these players are when it is obvious they are being greatly flattered by the table conditions. When you see a guy nearly having 2 147s in a match, then I'd start to ask questions (on tables Ebdon was trying earlier to describe as tight). And, like you, I much prefer the tactical exchanges. Even 147s are beginning to feel a bit old hat to me now.

Ronnie didn't lift his game for the World Championships, couldn't lift his game. For whatever reasons. It was reasonable to think with Selby gone, it'd hit home that he'd never get a better chance to get the elusive sixth. But he just didn't do it and it's getting harder to see that he ever can again I feel.

I can't ever see Ronnie winning a world title again
    He doesn't seem to battle when it's not going right for him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Remember when Jimmy was bald years ago.

Don't have Eurosport so I have to listen to JV. Someone please tell him to open his mouth when speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Back to work today so didn’t see any of the earlier sessions!!

Hawkins punishing Ding big time.
    Will take serious snooker to win from here.

Looks like the favorites tag just doesn’t sit well on dings shoulders. This is woeful really. Match is very rapidly slipping away here.

Doesn't say much for the current state of snooker when you have the likes of Williams and Carter and Hawkins there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What's going on on BBC Red Button? Match changed from Allen/Wilson to Ding/Hawkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Doesn't say much for the current state of snooker when you have the likes of Williams and Carter and Hawkins there.

Apart from Selby, Hawkins is the best player at the Crucible over the last five years.

Poor ding getting an unmerciful kicking on Eurosport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

mdwexford wrote: »
    Apart from Selby, Hawkins is the best player at the Crucible over the last five years.

Think that says it all, poor enough standard for a long time now

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Nothing kind. Selby said he didn’t look interested. Ronnie doesn’t like his attitude in general. Reckons Ding doesn’t live the life and should have 2 or 3 titles by now. There was more but that was the jist.

If he could somehow get out of this 7-9 I’d say game still well on. Looks hard work out there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Anyone having trouble with the Eurosport Player not working tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Nothing kind. Selby said he didn’t look interested. Ronnie doesn’t like his attitude in general. Reckons Ding doesn’t live the life and should have 2 or 3 titles by now. There was more but that was the jist.

I'd actually agree with that. It is looking worrying for him in terms of what he can achieve for himself in terms of titles - he's been around a long while now and his tournament wins are way lower than what has been expected. He certainty doesn't raise his game on big occasions like Hendry or Davis did, for all his talent.

Hawkins looks more up for this match that Ding does, where's the passion?

Advertisement