Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Nal wrote: »
    Anyone remember the mid 00s "Ding will dominate snooker for 15 years" chat?

Feel sorry for him. He needs a bit of bite to his game.

Vividly remember him winning the 2005 UK. It was simply sensational, couldn’t imagine that player NOT winning a world title in the next 13 years. Then again there was his masters meltdown against Ronnie so he was never straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Why are Williams and Carter playing both this afternoon and evening? Do they usually do that where they swap the pairs of matches? I'd have thought they'd be out this morning as well, then two matches to a finish this afternoon and two to a finish this evening. Is it just to ensure that one match in each of the morning and afternoon sessions goes to 8 or 9 frames?

tobsey wrote: »
    Why are Williams and Carter playing both this afternoon and evening? Do they usually do that where they swap the pairs of matches? I'd have thought they'd be out this morning as well, then two matches to a finish this afternoon and two to a finish this evening. Is it just to ensure that one match in each of the morning and afternoon sessions goes to 8 or 9 frames?

Yes I think that’s it exactly. To try and limit the likelihood of sessions finishing too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

tobsey wrote: »

They've always (last 5 years anyway) scheduled a swapsie on the second morning of the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very disappointing from Ding, I thought with Ronnie and Selby out this could be his year.

The commentators often described the like of Ken and Selby etc as great "match players" - i.e. when things aren't running their way they keep it tight and try to make life difficult for their opponent. They're fighters basically.

Ding seems to be the opposite and that's simply not good enough in the long matches. Ronnie got the same criticism in his younger days but he still won a couple of world titles early in his career; and his run of 3 final appearances in a row was down to him acquiring a bit more mental toughness (he seems to have regressed a bit since, though it may just be age catching up on him slightly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

and looking set to go 7-6...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

Sickening idiotic statement by ebdon think he said ding is ahead of Jimmy now as being the best player not to win the world, omfg, there's no comparison in him and TheWind, Hawkins wouldn't of got near Jimmy in any world let alone beat him 13-5. And a young Jim wouldn't be sitting crying in his seat in a master's final getting hammered by ron, he'd be punching back and giving as good as he was getting. Come on Jimmy.

Ebdon made a remark yesterday about them pushing the cushion closer towards the middle pocket during a discussion about the pockets. I pay little enough heed to him. He is prone to ridiculous statements.

• Advertisement

Ebdon made a remark yesterday about them pushing the cushion closer towards the middle pocket during a discussion about the pockets. I pay little enough heed to him. He is prone to ridiculous statements.

:) Hopefully him and-or hendry do a great WT and drop the f bomb! Hendry thinks it's a 9 ball table.

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Sickening idiotic statement by ebdon think he said ding is ahead of Jimmy now as being the best player not to win the world, omfg, there's no comparison in him and TheWind, Hawkins wouldn't of got near Jimmy in any world let alone beat him 13-5. And a young Jim wouldn't be sitting crying in his seat in a master's final getting hammered by ron, he'd be punching back and giving as good as he was getting. Come on Jimmy.

and lets not forget Steady Eddie:

Eddiecharlton.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Some fluke by Higgins on the green to help him draw level at 7:7

Make that 4. Was that fluke on the green a sign from above?:p

Hope Trump bears up here. His safety play was excellent that frame, didnt deserve what happened.

loyatemu wrote: »
    and lets not forget Steady Eddie:

Eddiecharlton.jpg

What about sexy sexy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Hope Mark Williams wins it.

Higgins in again :(

snooker must hinge more on confidence and momentum than any other sport. Except darts maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

snooker must hinge more on confidence and momentum than any other sport. Except darts maybe...

Curling... lots of momentum there :) .. I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement

Higgins getting all the breaks here. If he steals this frame it will be massive.

8:8. Tonight should be exciting

Looks like it could be the match of the tournament so far. Trump looks ropey but didnt have much run of the ball towards the end at the same time. Hope he still believes in himself, his form is picking up at least.

Of course I fear your're right. But just going to go on irrational hoping that Trump can pull some magic trick out of the hat because this tournament, although compelling in its own way, needs something to lift it to another level. Dont personally have anything against Higgins, just have seen it all before from him too many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

There was always something very off about ebdon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Snooker is in a sorry state when you look at that quarter final line up.

The Chinese are still nowhere

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Snooker is in a sorry state when you look at that quarter final line up.

The Chinese are still nowhere

Just a real lack of talent in the 21-30 age group. Just Wilson flying the flag for the 20 somethings. But as Ronnie pointed out on Eurosport last night, the best younger players - from around 16 to 22 - are all Chinese or Far East. There's nothing in the UK around that age group so give it 10 years and they'll be dominating. Almost inevitable you'd think.

• Advertisement

Just a real lack of talent in the 21-30 age group. Just Wilson flying the flag for the 20 somethings. But as Ronnie pointed out on Eurosport last night, the best younger players - from around 16 to 22 - are all Chinese or Far East. There's nothing in the UK around that age group so give it 10 years and they'll be dominating. Almost inevitable you'd think.

people said that 10 years ago and it hasn't happened. My impression is there are fewer young people taking up the sport in the British Isles UK/Ireland (it's certainly in decline here). That's got to affect the standard.

Advertisement