Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Just a real lack of talent in the 21-30 age group. Just Wilson flying the flag for the 20 somethings. But as Ronnie pointed out on Eurosport last night, the best younger players - from around 16 to 22 - are all Chinese or Far East. There's nothing in the UK around that age group so give it 10 years and they'll be dominating. Almost inevitable you'd think.

Talk of Chinese domination has been around for a while,but i agree it may happen.

I always wondered if a talent like Ronnie's would come out of China but it hasn't happened .

It's actually the opposite.Ronnie travels to China to perform for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

loyatemu wrote: »
    people said that 10 years ago and it hasn't happened. My impression is there are fewer young people taking up the sport in the British Isles UK/Ireland (it's certainly in decline here). That's got to affect the standard.

And they got it wrong, but not because it isn't going to happen, but because it's not going to happen as quickly as they predicted. Unless there is some massive turnaround in the numbers playing it here, and the number of available clubs, it's just inevitable the balance of power will swing. No UK player has won a world u-21 title in past 10 years I think. Lyu Haoitian won it at 14. That's generally a reliable guide as to what young talent is coming through.

Milkman.. wrote: »
    Talk of Chinese domination has been around for a while,but i agree it may happen.

I always wondered if a talent like Ronnie's would come out of China but it hasn't happened .

It's actually the opposite.Ronnie travels to China to perform for them.

Yeah that's true. Ronnie has sponsorship deals in place so coaching the chinese players is all part of that I think. ONe thing that makes it harder for them is having to relocate to the UK in order to make a go of it. Not sure what kind of coaching system is in place over there either, maybe part of it as well. It's getting easier and easier for them with so many tournaments located over there. Every year, I think, will see more Chinese winners and players in the top 64/32/16 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Did everyone not say that 10 years ago,Ding has been good but inconsistent,1 world final(I think) the rest nowhere,no Canadians,S African,1 Aussie,no Irish and just the British old boys. Depressing state of affairs,but if the Asians come through Heardn will claim that Snooker is more popular than ever because of the TV audience from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

Did everyone not say that 10 years ago,Ding has been good but inconsistent,1 world final(I think) the rest nowhere,no Canadians,S African,1 Aussie,no Irish and just the British old boys. Depressing state of affairs,but if the Asians come through Heardn will claim that Snooker is more popular than ever because of the TV audience from there

I for one won't be watching zing zang v yin yan in a world final in 2030 in a Chinese venue, no huge uk talents coming through, it's worrying, hopefully it picks up. No Irish players at all coming through, all just young decent club players but put them in an arena against another decent player and they crumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

i guess it's currently in a similar state as golf is. the Chinese and other Asian players are starting to appear on the leader boards a lot more frequently.
    only a matter of time...

As it stands nearly 25% of both top 64 and 128 are Chinese. That doesnt include other growth areas like Thailand, India etc. I'm not talking about domination or them producing another Ronnie O'Sullivan (only ever been one of those anyway!), just that balance of power will gradually and gradually move over that way, as is already happening. Ding winning a world title would have been an enormous boost for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

And they got it wrong, but not because it isn't going to happen, but because it's not going to happen as quickly as they predicted. Unless there is some massive turnaround in the numbers playing it here, and the number of available clubs, it's just inevitable the balance of power will swing. No UK player has won a world u-21 title in past 10 years I think. Lyu Haoitian won it at 14. That's generally a reliable guide as to what young talent is coming through.

8 of the last 10 World U-21 Champions are Asian, the last UK player to win it was Sam Craigie in 2010. His career best result was last 16 of the Northern Ireland Trophy last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

I'll be interested to see if there's more talk about the pockets from Hendry.

If it's an issue they'll have to address it.The integrity of the game depends on standardization of the tables .

Snooker isn't 9-ball.I don't trust Hearn in this regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

skipper_G wrote: »
    8 of the last 10 World U-21 Champions are Asian, the last UK player to win it was Sam Craigie in 2010. His career best result was last 16 of the Northern Ireland Trophy last year.

That's a very interesting statistic.. says a lot about the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

loyatemu wrote: »
    people said that 10 years ago and it hasn't happened. My impression is there are fewer young people taking up the sport in the British Isles UK/Ireland (it's certainly in decline here). That's got to affect the standard.

Theres an Only Fools and Horse gag about that. Del saying Rodney is no good at snooker because he went to school.

Players like Jimmy White, Ronnie, Henry etc who were great at a young age sacrificed their education. Jimmy White was an illiterate teenager. 100% snooker. Not many parents would allow their kids to drop out of school now to try become a pro. And schools don't allow kids at 12 and 13 to miss days and weeks on end anymore. And theres no where to play!

Don't think we'll see another UK player win the worlds in their early 20s again like Davis, Hendry, Higgins, Ronnie et al. Think we've only had a couple of winners under 30 post Hendry and the class of 92? Murphy, Dott and Robertson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Very disappointed with and for Mark Allen. So much better than that. Can't understand how you can reach a World q/f and just play as flat as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

8:7 now to wiliams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The only reason myself and a couple of mates became ok at snooker - I stress only "ok" - was because I bunked off school from 4th through 6th year and a lot of college to go play hours at a time, 5-6 days a week. Impossible to become anything but a glorified pool player otherwise really.

Its such a difficult game. Obviously some people are born with a gift like Ronnie, making centuries aged 10 and Hendry, turning pro 4 years after he first picked up a cue.

Took me 4 years to make a 20 break. But for people with talent, its unlikely they'll be turning pro unless they're putting in 4-5 hours a day from age 12 or 13. Very difficult these days.

Ooh could we be going into both finishes tonight at 8-8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Judd and John Higgins is a great game, Williams is going to be 9-7 up, the other 2 games were walkovers. Hawkins played some stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Guess my 20€ was to much if a burden for Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Guess my 20€ was to much if a burden for Allen

The Eurosport lads said he might need to shed a 20 pound burden alright

Could not foresee this from Judd 2 days ago. Really thought he was goosed this year. Hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sounds very rowdy on the other table

Judd is on fire. Higgins will have to do everything perfectly to win.

a lot still to do to land the frame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Trump 11:9 up

Advertisement