Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

From a personal preference that's the most uninspiring semi final line up in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

Peter File wrote: »
    Not the most exciting semi finalists we have this year. Anyone but Higgins for me now

Anyone but Higgins for most I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Judd looked so gutted.

Table fitters wasting no time there to tackle the two tables tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I feel sorry for Trump. Very well done by Higgins though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Excellent analysis again by Selby in the Eurosport studio again tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hope Kyren goes on to win it now. Sickened to see Judd knocked out, he just doesn’t seem to have a world title in him.

Wilson vs. Williams final I hope, but Hawkins is probably going to win it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Quite encouraging for Trump as regards the future I thought. From where he was all tournament that was a very decent display against possibly the best match player of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Higgins did have a fair bit of the run. Not outrageously so but got lucky at key times. I thought so anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm all for Williams overall, but pleased for Higgins tonight. Wouldn't want him to win it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Good stat by Eurosport there. Think getting to the semi final your close to winning but they've all won 36 frames and need another 35 to win it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Only got to see the last frame and a half of that, looks like I missed a cracker :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

When Higgins was 15/16 his father was driving him to practice with Stephen Hendry a couple of times a week, this newer generation must not be practising the way the class of 92 were , to be the best learn from the best , I'd like to know what most of the modern players are doing in practice in comparison to Higgins Ron etc , they dont win many tight matches against these older lads

Am surprised if not shocked to see MJW favorite to beat Hawkins. Williams is playing ok but I don’t believe he’s had a real test here yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

From a personal preference that's the most uninspiring semi final line up in a long time.

I remember a time when having a Williams in one semi and a Higgins in the other would have been considered pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Great drama there.

Trump played a really great match, but Higgins from 11-9 down put in three savage frames under the most immense pressure of all.

In frame 24 I don't know how Judd didn't stun that last red in and weld the cue ball to the black. Was a crazy ball to go for, real clutch shot and deservedly won him the frame.

Pity Trump didn't get a chance in the decider to show what he was made of.

I agree with Joe, I have no idea how Barry isn't favourite to beat Williams when he just beat the pants off Ding. I strongly fancy him to win that match.

Hard to see Kyren beating Higgins over that distance. Hope he can get off to a good start and not have the match over in the first couple of sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

AllForIt wrote: »
    I remember a time when having a Williams in one semi and a Higgins in the other would have been considered pretty good.

That's why I said personal preference. Quality players no doubt but there is none of that quartet that I would be rooting for to win it and on the flip side only 1 that I really hope doesn't win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

That's why I said personal preference. Quality players no doubt but there is none of that quartet that I would be rooting for to win it and on the flip side only 1 that I really hope doesn't win it!

I can't find someone to get behind either, back the fellow Celts I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I was at the Higgins Trump session last night. Great session of snooker. It was my first time at the crucible and it was amazing to see up close.

It was incredible to see how delicately they hit the safety shots. Particularly the ones where the cue ball only travels the length of the table once.

And the bravery of the players. Trump went for shots last night that took serious guts. Some worked, some didn’t but he kept going for them. They were both so brave under the pressure. I was sitting beside Trump’s family and it was cool to see the personal side of players as family men rather than just professionals.

Delighted I finally made it to the crucible. I’d throughly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

What amazes me most at the crucible is the camera men 😂 They are in and out over every shot, and obviously you don't see them on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

JoseJones wrote: »
    What amazes me most at the crucible is the camera men 😂 They are in and out over every shot, and obviously you don't see them on TV!
    Yeah they get really close to the players when they’re at the top end of the table. I can see how distracting it must be for players. They’re trying to figure out what to do next and the camera is moving around behind them. Within a meter of the players at times.

I’m not surprised it takes players time to get used to playing on tv. It might not be anything to do with all the people watching them. It could be because of the camera man whizzing around being their back and looking over their shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Delighted I finally made it to the crucible. I’d throughly recommend it.

I'd be terrified of coughing or farting or something at just the wrong moment :eek: :o

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'd like to see a Kyren Wilson vs Barry Hawkins final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

You could try asking any of your neighbours, or local shopkeepers.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

That’s a spot on summation I think. He’s never seemed at the one table stage here either so he does come with caveats. Still the vibes I get from Hawkins this year are very positive. Just seems like a man on a mission to me. He’s playing the best snooker too I reckon. Doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed, but the more I consider it, the prices are wrong way around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ve been avoiding the thread becuase I couldn’t watch live.

It’s been a mediocre tournament in many ways, but how good was Trump v Higgins last night?? I was actually grinding my teeth watching the last 3 frames.

I really want Higgins to win. I should hate him for the match fixing stuff, but I love watching him play.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s a spot on summation I think. He’s never seemed at the one table stage here either so he does come with caveats. Still the vibes I get from Hawkins this year are very positive. Just seems like a man on a mission to me. He’s playing the best snooker too I reckon. Doesn’t mean he’s guaranteed, but the more I consider it, the prices are wrong way around.

Hawkins is nailed on to beat Williams in my eyes. Williams hasn’t got the game to grind Hawkins down and force errors.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement