Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd like to see a Kyren Wilson vs Barry Hawkins final.

I want to see Hawkins v Higgins. With all due respect to Kyren Wilson, he really slows a match down.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brian? wrote: »
    I want to see Hawkins v Higgins. With all due respect to Kyren Wilson, he really slows a match down.

I like Wilson personally but he is a bit methodical in style alright. Just really solid without blowing you away with any aspect of his game. Have to admit I’ve been guilty of underestimating him since he arrived on the scene 3-4 years ago. I thought top 16 for sure, probably top 10, but world champion? I couldn’t see it and not sure I still can. Just don’t see the guns to beat a player like Higgins but, like I say, have been wrong about him before.

Not sure I was mishearing it, but did Ebdon say Kyren was the best player he’d ever played against last night? I think that’s what he said. Prone to awful hyperbole that chap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I like Wilson personally but he is a bit methodical in style alright. Just really solid without blowing you away with any aspect of his game. Have to admit I’ve been guilty of underestimating him since he arrived on the scene 3-4 years ago. I thought top 16 for sure, probably top 10, but world champion? I couldn’t see it and not sure I still can. Just don’t see the guns to beat a player like Higgins but, like I say, have been wrong about him before.

Not sure I was mishearing it, but did Ebdon say Kyren was the best player he’d ever played against last night? I think that’s what he said. Prone to awful hyperbole that chap.

I think Ebdon may have a different measure for snooker ability than the rest of us. Probably doesn’t include entertainment value.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

I thought Higgins played a push shot on green in decider and didn't call a foul on himself, trump thought so too by the look on his face. Williams Higgins final would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Anyone but Higgins for me, would love to see Hawkins win, seems like a good guy. Hawkins/Wilson final for me. For the sake of the sport I hope Higgins doesn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Whatever happens. There's only 3 possibilities for the final. It'll be either H v W, H v H or W v W. :p

buzzing147 wrote: »
    I thought Higgins played a push shot on green in decider and didn't call a foul on himself, trump thought so too by the look on his face. Williams Higgins final would be interesting.

I know shot you're thinking of, just before the red that wobbled 3 or 4 times before dropping. Davis and Taylor seemed to hint that there was something a bit strange about the sound, as if it may have been a foul. Wasnt sure about it myself, but i would be pretty certain no player, Higgins or otherwise, would have called that on themselves as a foul at that stage of a match. Nobody.

Higgins had the rub of the green in the opening frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Said the same to my mrs at the time but then had to explain to her what a push shot was and had forgotten about it by the time I was back concentrating on the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

I know shot you're thinking of, just before the red that wobbled 3 or 4 times before dropping. Davis and Taylor seemed to hint that there was something a bit strange about the sound, as if it may have been a foul. Wasnt sure about it myself, but i would be pretty certain no player, Higgins or otherwise, would have called that on themselves as a foul at that stage of a match. Nobody.
    Yeah Davis thought it was an odd contact but I think you're right about nobody calling foul on themselves at that stage, and only the player would know for sure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nothing controversial about that green. Slow the video to .25 speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Don't think that is a push shot. If anything, maybe a double hit, but I think it's alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Wilson needs to settle very soon or Higgins will be too far ahead. Its looking like 3:0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Balls still dropping after bobbling along the cushion.

Probably the most farcical seen yet. 4 inches from the pocket that bumped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

That red and the black

No way they should be dropping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Worrying signs for the Warrior. Who makes up these names, am I watching darts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Balls still dropping after bobbling along the cushion.

It really is ridiculous.
    3:0 now :(

• Advertisement

Wilson's not at the races at all. Maybe he has some big stage fright. Higgins has had some luck too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

Rabbit in the headlights time for Wilson

Higgins will be having extra pastries at the interval

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wilson had two good chances that last frame, it's rare enough that someone gets off to a flying start after being involved in a epic battle the night before.

Worrying signs for the Warrior. Who makes up these names, am I watching darts?

Robert "The Milkman" Milkins has to be the worst.

And its not like he always delivers. Hes 42 and hes never won a ranking event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The Nal wrote: »

Jester from Leicester is not a happy go lucky jolly dude, Selby is OK, but no comedy in the chap. Not happening for the Warrior, missed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭bren2001

The Nal wrote: »

Barry "The Hawk" Hawkins is awful. It's just so lazy.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

It really is. They should change it to Barry "The Barman" Hawkins.
    Permabear wrote: »

We're getting close to Biblical and mythical territory now. They'll be calling players "The Sea-Dwelling Leviathan" and "The Primordial God of the Crescent Moon" next.

Advertisement