Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Good days play, looking forward to tomorrow, nice to see close matches. Corner pockets are ridiculous in this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

zuutroy wrote: »
    It's quite rigorous and imo Bazza makes all requirements :

Firstly, the shot selection must be the easiest to be achieved, so deliberately taking a difficult shot to foul tactically will be still liable to be called a miss. Secondly, sufficient strength must be put into the shot such that the cue ball can even reach the ball "on" (it's possible for the referee not to call a miss if a striker would or did overshoot, but undershooting always results in a miss). Finally, the striker must try to hit the ball "on" as best as he can, getting the cue ball as near to the target as possible. All three of these elements must be present for a striker to be considered to have made a "best attempt", and not just the third element.

Sorry, got called out earlier and didnt get time to respond. From just watching the game for a number of years, since the new miss rule came into being anyway, referees will automatically call a miss in the vast majority of cases, regardless of the above wording. Otherwise you will have a situation where they are making judgements and players feeling aggrieved or that there is a lack of consistency in how the rules are applied. It may seem harsh in instances, such as the Hawkins one earlier, but at least it will be uniform and standard in the application. I'm not sure if that's the thinking, but that's how it seems to be in practice.

I remember the old days when there was no miss rule in place and players took the proverbial michael with it. One player in particular was the master of the miscue when trying to escape from a snooker, ensuring it would be left safe when the unfortunate contact happened. I suppose you'll just never get a totally satisfactory rule whatever way you apply it. Players will be cute and try to make the best possible attempt while ensuring they leave it as safe as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sorry, got called out earlier and didnt get time to respond. From just watching the game for a number of years, since the new miss rule came into being anyway, referees will automatically call a miss in the vast majority of cases, regardless of the above wording. Otherwise you will have a situation where they are making judgements and players feeling aggrieved or that there is a lack of consistency in how the rules are applied. It may seem harsh in instances, such as the Hawkins one earlier, but at least it will be uniform and standard in the application. I'm not sure if that's the thinking, but that's how it seems to be in practice.

I remember the old days when there was no miss rule in place and players took the proverbial michael with it. One player in particular was the master of the miscue when trying to escape from a snooker, ensuring it would be left safe when the unfortunate contact happened. I suppose you'll just never get a totally satisfactory rule whatever way you apply it. Players will be cute and try to make the best possible attempt while ensuring they leave it as safe as possible.

wasn't there a rule that you could put a player back in after a foul (from wherever the white ball ended up)?

I think it's fair enough to call a miss if the player hasn't a) chosen the easiest possible escape and/or b) hasn't hit it hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Milkman.. wrote: »
    It's not an argument that fitness and health help the mental side

It's a well established fact
    True.

I wish that golfer Shane Lowry would get on board with this line of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭AllForIt

mdwexford wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious being in better shape will be a help. Whether it's mentally, not getting fatigued as easily etc.

Most snooker players are fairly trim these days anyway.

Barry should have been further ahead after tonight. I still can't see Mark beating him though. Will need to stop letting Barry in so easily.

Hadn't seen him play in a long time. Such a unique player to watch.

Totally agree with the mental/physical comments you make. Everything is easier when one is mentally/physically fit. Why not have it rather than not. It could hardly be a disadvantage so why take the chance when one is a professional sports-person. Absolutely in snooker over long games it will come into play. I'm certain that Ronnie's longevity can at least in part be attributed to his running, his cardiovascular fitness.

As for the Williams/Hawkins game, I predict Williams winning it. Barry looked really pissed off at the end of the session, not least because of Williams under body shots in the third frame. Hawkins is going to be worried that Williams will 'turn it on' because of the occasion. He knows that both at their best, Williams is better, or at least better liked as a player in general. The crucible crowd getting behind Williams will play a part in this match towards the end. If Hawkins is going to win this match, he's going to have to go up a level, a level we haven't ever seen him achieve at this stage of a tournament ever before.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    wasn't there a rule that you could put a player back in after a foul (from wherever the white ball ended up)?

I think it's fair enough to call a miss if the player hasn't a) chosen the easiest possible escape and/or b) hasn't hit it hard enough.

Indeed that’s the rule. You can choose to play the shot yourself as the balls lie, have your opponent play as the balls lie, or have the balls replaced and shot retaken. 3 options basically.

The point is, though, refs call a miss probably 99% of the time whether a player makes a genuine effort to escape from a snooker or not. And there is a quite practicable reason why this is so.

AllForIt wrote: »
    As for the Williams/Hawkins game, I predict Williams winning it. Barry looked really pissed off at the end of the session, not least because of Williams under body shots in the third frame. Hawkins is going to be worried that Williams will 'turn it on' because of the occasion. He knows that both at their best, Williams is better, or at least better liked as a player in general. The crucible crowd getting behind Williams will play a part in this match towards the end. If Hawkins is going to win this match, he's going to have to go up a level, a level we haven't ever seen him achieve at this stage of a tournament ever before.

Remains to be seen I think. Barry has a fair bit of support there too from what I can hear at least. He’s a pretty popular guy and very likeable and determined too. I doubt he’ll want for encouragement anyway.

Plus I think he knows pretty much what it will take to get over the line. He has come up short a couple of times at this stage but he’s been to a final too so it’s not alien to him. I suppose it comes down to whether past bitter experience here will help or hinder him. I’m inclined to believe the former. I believe he’s simply the stronger player too at this point of their careers so I’d back him to keep his nose in front though MJW will no doubt push him all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

AllForIt wrote: »
    Why would he be pissed off about the underbody shots? They were on the green and brown when the frame was won. He was either doing it to save time just to get onto the next frame or for a bit of entertainment. If that type of thing was annoying Hawkins then I don't think he'd have the temperament to win the Worlds.

Sloppy opening frame from Higgins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Kyren Wilson looks to be cueing well anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Milkman..

McManus is a tedious enough commentator

O'Sullivan is quite good on eirosport

Joe Johnson on Eurosport. Time to turn down the sound. Barry Hearn will surely be delighted by a 35 minute frame, featuring missed potts, safety battles and gritty final red from the canny Scot. All the razzmatazz that he must have been hoping for. 6-4 Higgins.

Joe Johnson on Eurosport. Time to turn down the sound. Barry Hearn will surely be delighted by a 35 minute frame, featuring missed potts, safety battles and gritty final red from the canny Scot. All the razzmatazz that he must have been hoping for. 6-4 Higgins.
    Hearn will probably tweak the pockets tonight

Going 7-4 now, Wilson not taking his chances, being kept away from the table

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

Dreadful standard of snooker so far today. Switched from Eurosport back to BBC and Angles and Taylor are desperate as well

Agree with McManus. Higgins not done all that much this morning, doesn’t quite look 100% yet, but still going to preserve his overnight lead at the very least. Not looking great for Kyren.

7:5 Higgins at mid session

Wilson closes to 5-7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Wilson gets another one back so its 7:6 now.

• Advertisement

Amazing how badly Higgins is playing. Wilson simply has to capitalize on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Come on Wilson!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

pconn062 wrote: »
    Anyone but Higgins for me, would love to see Hawkins win, seems like a good guy. Hawkins/Wilson final for me. For the sake of the sport I hope Higgins doesn't win.

For the sake of the sport, I'd imagine a Kyren Wilson vs Barry Hawkins final would be the lowest viewership ever.

A blow for the warrior

Very poor from both players it has to be said. To get out with a lead here would be big for Higgins.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He looks about 10 yrs older than his age

• Advertisement

Advertisement