Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

sligeach wrote: »
    Hawkins has been unlucky in a few of this evenings frames, while Williams has been lucky. .

No he hasn't. Hawkins has had the run of the balls so far this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Brae100 wrote: »

Yeah that’s what I was about to say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Scrappy old game tonight. Whoever wins needs to buck up their act tommorow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

O.K, you're right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    Yeah that’s what I was about to say!

When Willo misses and leaves nothing, that is by design, not luck. Hawkins has missed and left nothing due to luck. MJW is the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Mark just can't get in front. not looking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

That was impressive by Hawkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

There has been a lot of sound issues this year. Wrong commentary, time delay commentary, no commentary.
    Its not like the BBC to be making mistakes like that. Fire the director!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭buzzing147

sligeach wrote: »
    Hawkins has been unlucky in a few of this evenings frames, while Williams has been lucky.

I don't get how so many people constantly cough in the Crucible, maybe they're in the wrong theatre.

Huh, anytime Hawkins misses he's leaving nothing, hopefully not 2 more full days seeing him, rather a mjw higgins final, at least Williams has the audacity to interact with the audience

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

His sister's husband committed suicide and Barry found him. They were very close.

The BBC better ought leave that alone if he wins the final. I remember the last time Higgins won they made a point of getting him to choke up about his recent loss of his dad. TV always wants the melodrama

Williams having a serious problem with the lower jaw of the bottom left pocket. His sighting is way off and will need to address that if he gets through. He's pulling off some shots though. They could have a shot of the championship showreel with just his shots at this stage.

He's over-compensating now and hitting the top jaw. He might have hit the practice table with Feeney during the interval. He needs to get that sorted sharpish.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I hope that didn't come through the earpieces. Not necessarily. Don't get this earpiece thing anyway. Always seems silly to me, a snooker enthusiast doesn't need the commentary. And I think those laughing outbursts from silly quips from the commentators just contradicts the idea that the audience should remain silent. They have proven to be quite disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Why is that senile old coot Dennis Taylor doing commentary?. Bloody useless. Spends half his time talking about "how difficult it must be for the families".
    Him and "gilt edged oppurtunity" John Virgo are both crap.

Hendry and Davis should be doing commentary. Ya need people who know what they are talking about.

Hendry's abrupt nature makes him a good frank commentstor.

The commentary from the radio adds massively to the experience when there in my view. Great innovation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Why is that senile old coot Dennis Taylor doing commentary?. Bloody useless. Spends half his time talking about "how difficult it must be for the families".

Hendry and Davis should be doing commentary. Ya need people who know what they are talking about.

hendry has been the best Pundit by a long way this year. but i like the old school commentators too and their "sayings". Only one I cant stand iS John Parrot.

Listen to Dave Hendon and Ronnie on Eurosport. Different league. Unfortunately, Joe Johnson is on at the moment.

Dennis Taylor is rubbish in my view. Lacking in knowledge.Should have their best pundits and one of best players like Hendry doing commentary in World semis not some ould codger like Taylor. His shot knowledge is crap he just follows what his co pilot says ie Alan McManus tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Higgins must be loving this, the later this finishes the stronger the favourite he will be

• Advertisement

One can always use the mute button on the remote as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

match deciding frame i feel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

eric hoone wrote: »
    Higgins must be loving this, the later this finishes the stronger the favourite he will be

Advantage to Higgins for sure. Very revealing how shattered he himself was during first session of his sf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Dennis Taylor is rubbish in my view. Lacking in knowledge.Should have their best pundits and one of best players like Hendry doing commentary in World semis not some ould codger like Taylor. His shot knowledge is crap he just follows what his co pilot says ie Alan McManus tonight.

Angles is good. Dennis would pot a red and play safe off every colour, just like his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must be first ball that didn’t drop in off the angle of that pocket. Barry looked stunned.

Anyways come on Williams.

Williams Higgins final far tighter better match than Hawkins Higgins in my view.
    Higgins beat Hawkins handily enough with few to spare.

Advantage to Higgins for sure. Very revealing how shattered he himself was during first session of his sf.

Yeah, he's not the fittest. He'd need the extra time off, especially against Hawkins. He said last year that his fitness cost him and that he'd have to get fitter. No real sign of that though. Still the bright red cheeks.

He's on it because of a very large segment of a demographic of ppl who watch snooker. Specifically those who don't have the first clue how to play, never picked up a cue in their lives and just watch it to wile away the hours, old ppl for example. Wall to wall coverage during the day, but soaps take priority in the evening.

Sport is very popular, but most of that popularity comes from watching on the armchair from ppl with no real interest in playing it. So most of those ppl don't have much, if any, technical insight, which Taylor doesn't give. He's intentionally put there by the BBC to cater for that demographic because of the way he commentates, not an oversight on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Tension from Hawkins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

AllForIt wrote: »
    He's on it because of a very large segment of a demographic of ppl who watch snooker. Specifically those who don't have the first clue how to play, never picked up a cue in their lives and just watch it to wile away the hours, old ppl for example. Wall to wall coverage during the day, but soaps take priority in the evening.

Sport is very popular, but most of that popularity comes from watching on the armchair from ppl with no real interest in playing it. So most of those ppl don't have much, if any, technical insight, which Taylor doesn't give. He's intentionally put there by the BBC to cater for that demographic because of the way he commentates, not an oversight on their part.

Yep, he's known as a character coz of his upside down comedy glasses.

Advertisement