Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think he was a miner in Wales. He won the UK ten years earlier in 1978, so he was an emerging player in late 70s, Davis beat him for the first of his titles in '81, and then he made a surprising comeback at 45 after a big coaching change. Think it was Frank Callan. Reminded me a bit of MJW.

I remember Mark at the Crucible 2/3 years ago playing awful stuff, getting slaughtered in a quarter final. Now he has a new lease of life. Good to see.

Yes it’s an entirely fair comparison. I liked Doug a lot, I don’t believe those guys fulfilled their talent because turning pro young wasn’t in their mentality back then. Cliff Wilson was another great Welsh player I remember beating Ronnie in his 50s, but didn’t turn pro until his mid or late 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Snooker and gambling sponsorship smacks a bit of all eggs in one basket strategy. What happens if (or even when) they ban it? Sport nearly died when they banned the tobacco sponsorship in the 90s because there was no plan b in place at the time.

Though I suspect Hearn is far too clever and seasoned to be caught napping a second time and has an alternative in mind which revolves heavily around foreign investment.

True, but it's there for now and it's funding the tour in a big way. Serious increase in prize money recently, the top 16 are a lot better off than they were five years ago and there's probably 50 to 60 players making a decent living from the game at the moment. While the investment is there it should be availed of, as you say it's up to the organisers to have a long term back up plan for when laws change regarding betting companies - but we're probably ten years at least away from that actually happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HisJills

Would love to see MJW win it but just think Higgins ability to grind frames out when even only playing his C game is what will see him lift his 5th title. When I saw that 2nd session of the semi v Wilson and JH played so poorly but got out 4-4 and that wasn’t really down to Wilson missing much, he played a great session but just couldn’t manage to reduce the deficit due to JH’s toughness and resilience even when not playing well himself! Granite......hopefully MJW can stick close to him today to bring us to “shredsville” (as the Eurosport lads would say) on Monday night! Who’s yap for a late night finish on Tuesday morning?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Hopefully Williams on top form and pottong them off the lampshape.

He has ability to come out with amazing pots to open up frames.

Higgins obvious favourite though

• Advertisement

True, but it's there for now and it's funding the tour in a big way. Serious increase in prize money recently, the top 16 are a lot better off than they were five years ago and there's probably 50 to 60 players making a decent living from the game at the moment. While the investment is there it should be availed of, as you say it's up to the organisers to have a long term back up plan for when laws change regarding betting companies - but we're probably ten years at least away from that actually happening.

Yeah it’s not as if there’s a huge amount of choice out there, as much as I personally dislike the pervasiveness of firms whose modus operandum, despite those enforced responsibility ads, is to sucker vulnerable people of their hard earned.

I think 10 years might be on the optimistic side but then I’m no expert either so who knows? I wonder too if 60 players would be making a decent living, I really have no idea how some of them do it, regardless of increases in prize money. Have great respect fro them because it is a long and often lonely road to the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

At 16-15 last night I actually started losing the will to live and went up to bed.

Will today and tomorrow be any better ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

ebbsy wrote: »
    At 16-15 last night I actually started losing the will to live and went up to bed.

Really? I thought it was one of the best matches I’ve seen this year! Fantastic semi-final, edge of the seat stuff!

Oh man, I pity you if you couldn’t enjoy the drama of that. I lapped it up. More over the next two days please! Boring enough watching two lads knock in 8-10 centuries between them over two sessions. Love that their nerves were gone completely due to the prize on offer at the end! Top quality sports entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

I doubt it, these long matches seems to be detrimental to the standard. They should look at shortening the format in the semis at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Gambling advertising (which is effectively what the event sponsorship is) was only legalized in 2006 in the UK, so I can't see them rolling that back for a long time.

eric hoone wrote: »
    I doubt it, these long matches seems to be detrimental to the standard. They should look at shortening the format in the semis at least

Not sure it’s the match length but the occasion and the fact that they’re playing for the WC! Saw Ding win the TPC in Galway a few years ago when he played Robertson in the final. Robo went 3-0 up but then couldn’t pot ball that were gimmies earlier in the evening, then at 3-3 neither player played great but Ding got over the line with a good break after Robo left him in! Both players were poor at different stages of the match in a best of 7 final but the pressure still got to them even though this event is nowhere near the prestige of the worlds and the venue nowhere near as engrossing for the players. I think the standard is more to do with nerves and tension and overcoming it than the length of the matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Disappointing lineup for the final. Doesn't say a lot for the rest of the players. But hope Higgins doesn't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I'm rooting for Williams myself but just hope the final is a good one. If it's even half as enthralling as last night's semi final or Higgins' QF match V Trump then we'll get a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Pretty much totally transitioned to Eurosport over the course of this tournament. If they could ship in Hendry for Johnson they'd be perfect.

Williams should have put this second frame away by now

Probably one of the three best tactical players ever is in the final but Dennis still can’t figure out which of them is the best tactically! Mind boggles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Some miss by Higgins there. Mark needs to capitalise early here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Every missed shot, Taylor will be blaming it as just a little bit of tension

Absolutel dinasours some of them
    Commentators, John Virgo screaming about where the cue ball is going.

I for one miss Clive Everton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

sligeach wrote: »
    Disappointing lineup for the final. Doesn't say a lot for the rest of the players. But hope Higgins doesn't win.

Where are the twentysomethings coming through? Sullivan, Selby and these lads will be cleaning up for years yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Joe Johnson is terrible. Bad miss from Williams, chance for Higgins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Pink was frame ball. But in off by Higgins makes it 2-0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Been a poor enough championship in general, last nights game was shocking in terms of quality

Williams imo needs to build up a lead early to win over the 2 days, unless Higgins is off-form.
    Very patchy play on both sides here at the moment.

Love the kebab story from last night. Williams attitude looks excellent here.

Though would worry about tonight. Think that’s when any hangover from last nights session will start to kick in. A lead here after opening session would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

You would not think williams is actually older than Higgins

John could pass for 60 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Probably one of the three best tactical players ever is in the final but Dennis still can’t figure out which of them is the best tactically! Mind boggles...

As I was saying earlier Dennis Taylor is a simpleton.
    Ok someone pointed out hes there to cater to the casual viewer but would a casual viewer spend whole weekend watching snooker?. I think casuak viewer respect the calculated analysis of a Hendry.
    Get hendry in there!.

One of the best ever so his anslysis is always spot on and never afraid to say where a player went wrong and call a crap shot what it is.

With Taylor everything is wonderful magical and a terrible shot?. Wee kick there
    10 reds in the open?. Possible pot on here.

Captain obvious hes tiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

C__MC wrote: »
    Every missed shot, Taylor will be blaming it as just a little bit of tension

Absolutel dinasours some of them
    Commentators, John Virgo screaming about where the cue ball is going.

I for one miss Clive Everton

JV is atrocious. Talking with his mouth closed.
    Clive Everton was class, I miss big Willy. Although Angles McManus has been a breath of fresh air, knows his stuff, and knows when to shut up.
    Dennis Taylor exhaling loudly through his nose and his constant nausiating gushing about "this fabulous Crucible theatre" is annoying. Also the "baloo" and the "brine".

Williams to win 18-14.

Advertisement