Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 World Championship

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Landed at about 2000 in the queue this year so didn't work out quite as well as last year. Got the two middle Sunday sessions I was looking for though, with seats about half way up that have a view of both tables, so I won't complain. Paid the same for a morning and afternoon for next year as I paid for an afternoon and evening for this year so the price increase is definitely noticeable (evening sessions are more expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Cliffie was done for the old peruvian marching powder if I recall correctly.

Kirk Stevens was doing it by the kilo by all accounts yet he never got done, somehow. Sad story which didn't end well for him, he was a talented player and a likeable guy.

Bill Werbernick and his pints during matches to stop the shakes! Pity there's no Canadians left in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Landed at about 2000 in the queue this year so didn't work out quite as well as last year. Got the two middle Sunday sessions I was looking for though, with seats about half way up that have a view of both tables, so I won't complain. Paid the same for a morning and afternoon for next year as I paid for an afternoon and evening for this year so the price increase is definitely noticeable (evening sessions are more expensive).

Maybe it’s time they switched the venue to somewhere bigger, brighter and more modern. The ‘ cruichible’ is past it’s sell by date. The 80’s players who are commenters now have this overly romantic nostalgic view of the place and bullsh1t on about how as a venue it applies additional ‘pressure’ on the players - total c0ck. If some sponsor dangled enough cash (eg sky tv) to the WPBSA to switch venue and coverage rights I’m sure ‘Barry Herne’ would take the hand fist and everything. The game is declining and Hearne knows it...,.

eric hoone wrote: »
    Bill Werbernick and his pints during matches to stop the shakes! Pity there's no Canadians left in the game.

He died at 56.....legendary tales of 20 plus beers etc during a match takes it toll...he ripped the arse out of his pants one year as he over stretched for a shot....,.apparently he was ‘jock-less’ so some poor audience members were treated to a view an overweight Canadians hairy rear....!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Maybe it’s time they switched the venue to somewhere bigger, brighter and more modern. The ‘ cruichible’ is past it’s sell by date. The 80’s players who are commenters now have this overly romantic nostalgic view of the place and bullsh1t on about how as a venue it applies additional ‘pressure’ on the players - total c0ck. If some sponsor dangled enough cash (eg sky tv) to the WPBSA to switch venue and coverage rights I’m sure ‘Barry Herne’ would take the hand fist and everything. The game is declining and Hearne knows it...,.

I'd say they'd have no problem selling a new venue to the players. The place is a throwback, not well laid out for 2 tables during most of the fortnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Utterly wrong in nearly every respect. It’s not just former players who romanticise the venue. Some things are purer than revenue and naked commercial interests and the crucible is one of the few things left in elite sport that is. The vast majority of snooker people feel this way and Hearn understands that completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

What tripe.

Snooker doesn't lend itself to massive arenas.

Brighter, more modern? Have you been there?
    What exactly needs to be brighter. The facilities there are fine for the amount of people. The Crucible is snooker. Moving it would be ridiculous.

How do you make out the game is declining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Can you imagine trying to control a crowd of thousands to ensure silence and reverence? It just wouldn't happen.
    Also you'd also need huge screens for anyone remotely distanced which removes the draw of being there. It's not suited to big venues at all.

I believe it’s guaranteed at the crucible for the next 10 years anyway. After that I couldn’t predict the future with any certainty but it won’t go without a fight at the very minimum.

I think of what sky has done when it has had snooker - the ghastly premier league, the abomination that was power snooker and the awful shoot out - and will curse the day it ever sells out to those grisly hype merchants. For all it’s flaws the bbc link remains vital to its wellbeing.

I believe it’s guaranteed at the crucible for the next 10 years anyway. After that I couldn’t predict the future with any certainty but it won’t go without a fight at the very minimum.

I think of what sky has done when it has had snooker - the ghastly premier league, the abomination that was power snooker and the awful shoot out - and will curse the day it ever sells out to those grisly hype merchants. For all it’s flaws the bbc link remains vital to its wellbeing.
    Yeah commercial interests like sky shouldn't dictate sport. Still looks a bit cramped for the 2 tables, but I suppose a half empty bigger arena would be worse

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    What tripe.

Snooker doesn't lend itself to massive arenas.

Brighter, more modern? Have you been there?
    What exactly needs to be brighter. The facilities there are fine for the amount of people. The Crucible is snooker. Moving it would be ridiculous.

How do you make out the game is declining?

Game is declining based on how little of it you see on TV these days. That is usually a good indication as to how popular something is...?

Game is declining based on how little of it you see on TV these days. That is usually a good indication as to how popular something is...?

Come on man...get a grip. There’s never been as much snooker on tv. Too much if you ask me.

Incidentally are there any new up and coming Irish snooker players these days......Mark Allen is ‘ norn iron’......don’t follow game much these days but I’d say we are years away from a ken Doherty triumph at the world championships...??

Incidentally are there any new up and coming Irish snooker players these days......Mark Allen is ‘ norn iron’......don’t follow game much these days but I’d say we are years away from a ken Doherty triumph at the world championships...??

Unless he decides to enter the seniors I’d say you are spot on about Ken anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You're coming out with an impressive run of consistent nonsense on this thread.

BBC still shows the big events like they always have.

Eurosport have tons of coverage of the rest.

Same as Tennis, Golf, Football, Horse Racing etc.
    Big matches, tournaments, events on normal tv. Majority of stuff on dedicated sports channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Looks like loads of tickets are still available including semi final tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks like loads of tickets are still available including semi final tickets.

I managed to pick up 2 tickets for the first 3 sessions of the final in the last few minutes.
    Just 2 more and I have the Grand Slam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Road-Hog wrote:

There's more snooker on tv now than there ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

A few of the bookies and exchanges have Higgins at 13/8. Not a bad price considering it could go either way at this stage. Higgins on form is unstoppable, all depends on how he plays in the first session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Heading over for the final session tommorow thanks to this thread. Will be poised nicely overnight.
    You are welcome to take my earpiece, I'll be around the fan zone if that is of any use. Granted you probably will not see this so enjoy the final either way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

M.Cribben wrote: »
    A few of the bookies and exchanges have Higgins at 13/8. Not a bad price considering it could go either way at this stage. Higgins on form is unstoppable, all depends on how he plays in the first session.

Yeah IIRC he was in a similar position at this stage of the Trump qf. Hoping for a grandstand finish whoever wins.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

He did finish the sf looking strong I felt, but at same time I couldn’t disagree that he looks subdued in some way. Hasn’t been at his best all tournament I would say - it’s just been that sort of world champs - and although logic would suggest he’ll lift it, there’s no guarantee about it as you rightly point out.

Think Williams looks a bit bulletproof, brushing off his mistakes. Losing final frame of last night's session in the manner he did will put huge pressure on Higgins this avo

Cmon Mark.

Keep this session tight, even lose it 5-4 wouldnt be too bad.

Great start from Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Great start from Williams

Fluke to get in, missed the pot by a mile. Pure luck

• Advertisement

What a shot

Advertisement