Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q: Playing Off Wrong Fairway

Options
  • 19-04-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

So I'm relatively new to comps or club events and had a question.

I occasionally (often) hit my ball onto another fairway. the other day I realised I was a good 30 yards further on than my playing partner after finding my ball.

Should I wait for him to hit or just hit mine as soon as possible so as not to get in the way of other people playing the other hole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pakman wrote: »
    So I'm relatively new to comps or club events and had a question.

I occasionally (often) hit my ball onto another fairway. the other day I realised I was a good 30 yards further on than my playing partner after finding my ball.

Should I wait for him to hit or just hit mine as soon as possible so as not to get in the way of other people playing the other hole?

Unless you are playing matchplay, whoever is ready should play first.

Often if you are on another fairway you will have to wait until your way is clear, however its often also better if you hit first so you *dont* have to wait for your way to be clear.

e.g. if you can get to your ball before the people playing your hole are in your way, then go and hit before you get blocked/stuck by these people.

Your playing partners should be aware that you are likely to do this and be watching, but I'd give them a wave to indicate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

As Greebo said.
    In matchplay, whoever is furthest from the hole plays first. In strokeplay or stableford, it is best to get off the adjacent fairway quickly if possible so let your playing partners know that you are going to hit and then play away. Always give way to those playing the adjacent hole unless they indicate otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Ah perfect cheers. Too many players will just keep shut even if you break etiquette so wanted to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think most courses these days encourage a policy of "Ready-Golf" for their competitions to keep things flowing.

Basically, who-ever is ready to hit, within reason, should hit away & not worry about who is furthest away/who should have the honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yea ready golf is the way forward. If in doubt you can always say " I'm just going to run over and hit before anyone gets on the other fairway"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Common sense, hit first and get back onto your fairway out of potential danger and also avoid slowing others up (assumes not match play)

My mint Tesla Model 3 for quick sale

Tesla Model 3 link

Advertisement