Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise levels in the workplace affecting my mental health

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I wear ear plugs to bring the noise to bring the noise down to a "safe" but to be honest it does little to help my problem. I also work 12 hour shifts with around 8-10 hours spent in the actual processing area. I'm just wondering if anyone has any other solutions that may help.

You could try a pair of decent ear defenders instead of plugs. They tend to work a bit better. Or if you can listen to music (even if you can't) a pair of active noise canceling headphones. They don't just stop the noise from getting to your ears but active scan the environmental noise and create a 'counter' soundwave to cancel the noise. However depending on the environment I could see them being a bit of a health and safety issue. Good ones are also not cheap. I use these, they're not cheap but worth every penny. (also a lot cheaper now then when I bought them I see :( )

Would some sort of therapy be effective?

I'm not sure that's for anyone here to suggest, certainly not based on the information you've provided. There are probably a few things you could try on your own though, such as mindfulness or meditation, there are numerous apps etc you can find for your phone (or videos on Youtube etc.) to help with this. Maybe even a good walk during lunchtime (depends on where you are I guess, a walk through a busy industrial estate may not do much for you :o)

Have you spoken to anyone at work about this? They may well have suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wexie wrote: »
    You could try a pair of decent ear defenders instead of plugs. They tend to work a bit better. Or if you can listen to music (even if you can't) a pair of active noise canceling headphones. They don't just stop the noise from getting to your ears but active scan the environmental noise and create a 'counter' soundwave to cancel the noise. However depending on the environment I could see them being a bit of a health and safety issue. Good ones are also not cheap. I use these, they're not cheap but worth every penny. (also a lot cheaper now then when I bought them I see :( )

I'm not sure that's for anyone here to suggest, certainly not based on the information you've provided. There are probably a few things you could try on your own though, such as mindfulness or meditation, there are numerous apps etc you can find for your phone (or videos on Youtube etc.) to help with this. Maybe even a good walk during lunchtime (depends on where you are I guess, a walk through a busy industrial estate may not do much for you :o)

Hours of active noise canceling is very tiring on your ears...worth pointing that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

In my opinion, just a little cooperation from the managers would go a long way. The occasional "Guys, can you keep it down" once they start getting loud would go a long way. It worked on the other floors. All it takes is just for the managers to give a damn.

I used to work in a similar environment and it can get noisy at times. It's part and parcel of working in a busy office.

It's not realistic to expect everyone else to modify their behaviour to suit you. You may believe you have a right to demand or expect it but that's irrelevant. it's just not realistic long term.

I think it's also unreasonable that you're not willing to try noise cancellation headphones. They're an obvious solution and there are so many different types on the market so there's a really good chance of finding something that works for you. Trust me, i'm a headphone geek :D

You said yourself it's not loud all the time and so you only need put them on when it's get a bit noisy. I understand that means it can be more difficult for your colleagues to grab your attention but again there are many ways around this and surely it wouldn't be a show stopper.

Tbh though OP, and i'm saying this to give you constructive advice, if you've been walking around with decibel meters measuring noise levels and you're unwilling to try obvious solutions such as headphones then management may well be forming an opinion that you don't necessarily want to sort the problem.

Take from that what you will but perception is reality so worth considering how you approach this and make sure you are open to at least trying sensible suggestions. There won't be an ideal solution so give and take will be required on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Thanks for the reply.
    I have ear defenders but as it's a 100% hard hat area I need ones that clip on to the hard hat which adds extra weight and tends to give me headaches after 12 hour shifts.

Headphones aren't an option as it would be a health and safety issue and would probably be enough to get sacked.
    Phone use is restricted to work use only so an app would not be an option either.

Just a bit more info. I work on a minesite in Western Australia and spend all day working outside in 30+ degrees so the last thing I would want to do is go for a walk in it at lunchtime. I look forward to lunchtime both to get away from the noise and to sit in the aircon. Thanks though.

There's not really anything anyone at work can do about it to be honest. The only suggestion they're likely to make is to wear earplugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Phone use is restricted to work use only so an app would not be an option either.

Sorry I didn't mean an app to be used at work. But to be used at home when you have a few quiet moments.

Chances are there isn't anything physically* wrong with you that is causing the noise to have more of an impact on you than your colleagues but the problem is more with how you process and react to that noise. Mindfulness can help you learn to 'quiet' your mind so to speak which in turn should (hopefully) lessen the impact on you.

It all sounds very wishy washy (believe me I know) and if you start looking around for things that will work for you chances are you'll come across many ones that won't. (I find anything with a bloody bell or temple gong or such incredibly aggravating and many of the american accents do very little to relax me) but do give it a try. Perhaps not the recordings etc. but the concept of mindfulness. Could just be sitting down with a favorite piece of music and listening to ONLY that and not thinking about anything.

A good app to help you on the way could be Headspace.

(*not implying there is anything wrong with you in any other way either by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    If i were you I'd look into noise dampening measures, as others have said. It's really not that much work to put up a partition and some other noise dampening measures. Once you can explain to your higher ups that you can't do your job properley because you can't even hear your colleagues, they should authorize this. If they can't be arsed to implement that most simple of solutions, you can be sure that nothing else will ever be done and either quit or accept it the way it is (changing the calccenter teams behaviour is 10x harder and more expensive than throwing a bit of money at the problem).

PPE is the simple solution.
    For the company's the effective health and safety solution has to be provable in a court room.
    So it's not a simple partition it's noise cancelling partitioning walls and a door to eliminate noise to an agreed level. Otherwise it's like saying to a person in a wheelchair what's the problem we changed the 90 degree steps to 45 degree ramps and you are still saying its not working for you.
    Plus how will they provide access the room, how will they facilitate visits to the toilet and lunch breaks.
    Changing behaviour would have to involve some type of permanent monitoring equipment so that the company can prove noise levels, remedial action needs to be take if there is a breach and this is employee specific so monitoring should be employee specific.

Sorry I didn't mean an app to be used at work. But to be used at home when you have a few quiet moments.

Chances are there isn't anything physically* wrong with you that is causing the noise to have more of an impact on you than your colleagues but the problem is more with how you process and react to that noise. Mindfulness can help you learn to 'quiet' your mind so to speak which in turn should (hopefully) lessen the impact on you.

It all sounds very wishy washy (believe me I know) and if you start looking around for things that will work for you chances are you'll come across many ones that won't. (I find anything with a bloody bell or temple gong or such incredibly aggravating and many of the american accents do very little to relax me) but do give it a try. Perhaps not the recordings etc. but the concept of mindfulness. Could just be sitting down with a favorite piece of music and listening to ONLY that and not thinking about anything.

A good app to help you on the way could be Headspace.

(*not implying there is anything wrong with you in any other way either by the way)

Thanks for that. I will definitely look into mindfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think it would be considered bullying if they just told them to keep the noise down, it's not like they're telling them to shut up.

Have you ever tried talking to the noisemakers personally?
    Not in the office...but just a friendly, inofficial approach explaining your situation..perhaps take them aside in the canteen / smoking area?

A personal one-on-one explanation might get better results than a decree from a manager who doesn't really care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I experience sensory overload for different reasons. I use noise cancelling headphones. I hyperfocus and have a high startle reflex when I'm concentrating, so I ask people to initiate contact via skype if they need to ask me something. I tend to play the same music repeatedly, generally Air and Radiohead. If I feel distressed from noise I go for a walk. I work from home sometimes.

That's interesting that bpd can cause sensory overload. I didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Hi OP,

Well, first of all, fair play for keeping cool and calm in this situation.

I feel your pain. Ive sensory overload issues too that stresses me out and will physically make me sweat, and unable to concentrate. Totally overwhelming.

There is always a background hum of chitter chatter where I work. That is grand. I work near by 2 extremely loud people. Shouting and screaming.

I complained about this. Like I am supposed to do. But nothing was done.

One day, I was completely overloaded with a looming deadline, they were roaring, and I rose up out of my desk and told them to shut the fcuk up.

I regretted it immediately. Because I had finger pointed out a colleague, who i actually like, but the noise was too much. It was not the right thing to do, but it made people/management ironically listen.

I was complained of course. And I did apologise to the person I told shut the f up to. But, I counter complained. These 2 people through their endless shouting were making my work life miserable. My productivity was going down. And I asked management how were they going to help. I also asked them how would they feel in my situation (as they dont sit in that area). And I wanted a full explanation why I had to compromise it all. And the people screaming didnt have to do anything. I was told Id have to move. I was told "X just has a loud voice". My counter complaint was "No, am not screaming, move them." and "So, do you want to sit beside X then for 8 hours a day and Ill sit where you are sitting then?" (Of course they didnt).

Their other solution was for me to wear noise cancelling headphones. Something I wasnt prepared to do for 8+ hours a day. I asked them to come up with something better and that suited me too.

In the end, I stood my ground. I am now allowed to IM the very loud people. And ask them to be quiet (I still dont get how some people live without not knowing how annoying they can be-do it at home in your own house. Dont come to work to scream and shout). I'll be honest, I have IMed them maybe 3 times in 6 months. Am not out to squash any craic, love craic myself, but screaming non stop for 15/30/60 mins is unnecessary.

Turns out, X with the loud voice actually has a softer setting. So, wow...he could actually control how loud he was being. Surprise!

I was also given a laptop that I can use. If am overwhelmed, I will move to a quieter part of the office.

The screamy people still scream away the odd time. Ill give them that. Am not into opression. But neither am I not into their behaviour going unchecked also. Most of my colleagues sitting in the same area have the same complaint about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

peasant wrote: »
    Have you ever tried talking to the noisemakers personally?
    Not in the office...but just a friendly, inofficial approach explaining your situation..perhaps take them aside in the canteen / smoking area?

I think the OP already said they've tried to talk reasonably to the people concerned - and only got a bit of an attitude back in reply.

I sympathise very much with this issue.
    While I don't have any medical issue regarding noise, I've been working in an office in a fairly small team with two incredibly loud, negative and disruptive people for four years; and it's extremely difficult and frustrating.

Management's refusal to address or tackle the problem in any way - simply because the two individuals in question are the longest serving members on the team - is just unacceptable.

To add to the irony, much of their negativity and complaining is addressed specifically at our manager when she isn't around or within earshot.....but she's totally oblivious about this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The problem sorted itself - I got an opportunity to move to another branch of the company. Again, I'm sitting in a room full of people, but the managers here actually tell them to keep the voice down when they start shouting.

I would just like to say how fascinated I am by the amount of people who were implying that I am the problem on this thread. I stated that general call centre noise (200 people all talking at once) doesn't bother me, it's more of a white noise to my ears. I also explained that other people from my old team were also affected by the screaming/extremely loud laughing/other noise that has nothing to do in the workplace, I repeated many times that based on my years of experience in this field of work, this is not normal for a call centre, but I was still getting responses telling me to find another job, since I can't take the noise that comes with this one.

To everyone who pitched in with their experiences, be it noise-cancelling headphones, sensory overload, BPD, or other things that I forgot to mention, thank you for listening and for trying to help. I really appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The problem sorted itself - I got an opportunity to move to another branch of the company. Again, I'm sitting in a room full of people, but the managers here actually tell them to keep the voice down when they start shouting.

Good for you.
    Really pleased this has worked out Ok.

Nice to know there are still some Managers out there who know how to control this type of problem and who don't hide from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Good for you.
    Really pleased this has worked out Ok.

Nice to know there are still some Managers out there who know how to control this type of problem and who don't hide from it!

Thanks!

I think that the main reason why the managers there didn't give a hoot is that it was pretty much just one department on the entire floor, so they stuck together.

In the building where I am now, there is at least 6 different departments here and the managers don't really know each other outside their departments, so I believe that they have to make sure that the standards are kept, as the other managers could get them in trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've got similar issues to the OP. The main difference is (without making little of the OP's situation) that I work in a processing plant which is a very noisy environment. It would make most offices sound like libraries.
    I wear ear plugs to bring the noise to bring the noise down to a "safe" but to be honest it does little to help my problem. I also work 12 hour shifts with around 8-10 hours spent in the actual processing area.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any other solutions that may help. Would some sort of therapy be effective?
    If I could quit I would without a second thought but unfortunately that's not an option at the minute.

Your company needs to get in an acoustic consultant to determine the actual noise levels in the processing area. Especially if they are getting complaints. Exposure to an average noise level of 85dB(A) over an 8hrs shift risks hearing damage would require staff to wear earplugs/headphones. Generally they should be worn at 80dB(A) as a preventative measure.

Noo wrote: »
    Your company needs to get in an acoustic consultant to determine the actual noise levels in the processing area. Especially if they are getting complaints. Exposure to an average noise level of 85dB(A) over an 8hrs shift risks hearing damage would require staff to wear earplugs/headphones. Generally they should be worn at 80dB(A) as a preventative measure.

The company I work for is a multi billion dollar company. They wouldn't overlook something like that. There are signs everywhere stating that hearing protection must be worn when working in the area. As said before I wear earplugs at all times.

I'm not sure what your experience with working in an industrial processing plant is but I can tell you that even with earplugs it is still loud. Add anxiety to the mix and having to work in a team trying to communicate with each other it is quite frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

For starters just make sure you get the full 'potential' from your ear plugs.
    I use them as I work mainly nights and sleep late into the day.
    A good tip would be: Before inserting your ear plugs, put some cream/hand cream/vaseline whatever inside your ear and insert the plug as far as you feel is comfortable and safe!
    Hold it there for a few seconds until it expands in your ear then remove your finger...
    The cream, while it helps insert the plug also acts as a gasket/seal.
    This method made such a vast improvement to my noise reduction 'issue'.

For starters just make sure you get the full 'potential' from your ear plugs.
    I use them as I work mainly nights and sleep late into the day.
    A good tip would be: Before inserting your ear plugs, put some cream/hand cream/vaseline whatever inside your ear and insert the plug as far as you feel is comfortable and safe!
    Hold it there for a few seconds until it expands in your ear then remove your finger...
    The cream, while it helps insert the plug also acts as a gasket/seal.
    This method made such a vast improvement to my noise reduction 'issue'.

Thanks for that but I'd be worried about getting ear infections from putting cream in my ear multiple times a day especially with dirty hands as it would not be possible to wash my hands each time I put earplugs in.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I also doubt that where you sleep is anywhere near as noisy as where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Thanks for that but I'd be worried about getting ear infections from putting cream in my ear multiple times a day especially with dirty hands as it would not be possible to wash my hands each time I put earplugs in.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I also doubt that where you sleep is anywhere near as noisy as where I work.
    No your grand, just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Are you using the highest class of earplugs? They can range from a 10dB reduction up to 35dB reduction. If the noise level in your work place is say 90dB, then if used correctly the highest class will bring it down to 55dB. This is similar to the acceptable noise levels for noise impacts (from say road traffic or nearby industrial sites) to childrens outdoor play areas.

• Advertisement

Noo wrote: »
    Are you using the highest class of earplugs? They can range from a 10dB reduction up to 35dB reduction. If the noise level in your work place is say 90dB, then if used correctly the highest class will bring it down to 55dB. This is similar to the acceptable noise levels for noise impacts (from say road traffic or nearby industrial sites) to childrens outdoor play areas.

The ones I currently use are class 5 27dB. Noise level is around 75 - 80dB(not sure how accurate this is as I've only measured it using an app on my phone).
    One of the biggest problems is there is no break in the noise. The place runs 24 hours a day and sounds the exact same all day long. It's like being beside a train track with an extremely long and noisy train going past all day.

Advertisement