Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it okay to dispose of grass cuttings on common green area?

• 19-04-2018 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Is it okay to drop your lawn trimmings on a common green area or should you ensure you put them in your brown bin?
    It's just that my brown bin gets almost full with every cut at this time of year, and I've seen other guys in housing estate scattering their grass on the green.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've don't think it matters as long as everyone agrees! But they won't, and whoever manages the common area might object.

Can the common area absorb everyone's grass?

Tragedy of the commons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Got annual flyer from my residents association last year with price etc.
    Also included was the fact that disposing of green waste in common areas was considered littering and Garda would impose fines of up to €2000 for it.
    Never heard of anyone being done for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Its Illegal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you get a mulcher attachment for your lawnmower?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

hmm...a mulcher wouldn't be worth it for the size of my front and back gardens.
    The green at the front of my house is pretty large (about 4 acres) and is maintained by the council.
    With the proposed increase in prices for bin lifts, I feel a bit stupid filling it up with grass when it would hardly be noticed mixed in on the green.
    But, I would also feel very self conscious throwing it on green if my neighbours were binning theirs!!:(

• Advertisement

My last place had less than 50sqm of grass and I used a mulching mower. It was great apart from the limitation that I couldn't mow when it was wet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Would you consider composting it? I've always done that with mine, but there'd be enough other stuff going in to get a decent mix. Compost then gets distributed between the trees and beds as a feed a few times per year. Possibly a bit weird, but I like to keep waste generated by the garden in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

smacl wrote: »
    Would you consider composting it? I've always done that with mine, but there'd be enough other stuff going in to get a decent mix. Compost then gets distributed between the trees and beds as a feed a few times per year. Possibly a bit weird, but I like to keep waste generated by the garden in the garden.

That is in no way weird. To dispose of it any other way is perhaps weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭AlanG

Is it okay to drop your lawn trimmings on a common green area or should you ensure you put them in your brown bin?
    It's just that my brown bin gets almost full with every cut at this time of year, and I've seen other guys in housing estate scattering their grass on the green.

I would consider it really inconsiderate and report it if it happened on our local green. Too much grass cuttings makes the green unusable for many activities. In my area however many people do extra maintenance on the green and arrange disposal of the waste themselves so that the green is kept to a higher standard than if it was up to the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A good friend is a litter warden. Dumping grass clippings in a public area is illegal dumping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it can be as simple as this - just directs the clippings back down onto the lawn:

https://www.bosch-garden.com/gb/en/garden-tools/accessories/multimulch-mulching-accessory-200741-6091.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a large compost heap and have never used a brown bin. However there seems to be a wind vortex in my front garden which results in every leaf in the neighbourhood (from the trees in the kerb) ending up on my driveway in the autumn - this gets relocated to a copse of trees 50m away to join the rest of the leaves - if I was to compost all this I'd need a bigger garden

homer911 wrote: »
    I have a large compost heap and have never used a brown bin. However there seems to be a wind vortex in my front garden which results in every leaf in the neighbourhood (from the trees in the kerb) ending up on my driveway in the autumn - this gets relocated to a copse of trees 50m away to join the rest of the leaves - if I was to compost all this I'd need a bigger garden
    Leaf mulch is amazing stuff for the soil. I have an electric leaf blower with a shredding function and the mulch it produces is top class, really helps the soil. When I can be bothered. :rolleyes:

Advertisement