Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR & Images - Third Party

Options
  • 19-04-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've been doing some research on this and I can't seem to get an answer. We currently use images from other providers on our website. These images are provided by and signed off by the other providers e.g. John's Carpentry supplies images for using on Ironclaw's Builders Forum.

However, many of these images have identifiable persons in them. And most, if not all, come from the third party providers facebook page, so they are in the public domain.

My question is, where does GDPR fall on these images? Is it enough for us to ask a provider to ensure they are GDPR compliant before supply them to us? Do they fall under GDPR at all?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Are they stock photos or from a specific photo shoot?

If the people in them are models. They’ll have signed a release.

If they’re ordinary members of the public, I’m not sure what the position is, but it wouldn’t hurt to get your suppliers to sign a statement declaring they’re gdpr compliant & taking responsibility

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The people providing you with the photos will need to have written permission to use people in the photos and to use them on other websites/forums etc. You will need those providers to confirm they are GDPR compliant and you should also keep track of which photo came from which provider. In the unlikely case someone in a photo was to ask you where you got permission to use it you would then be in a position to say Provider X provided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks all. You are both describing the line we assumed we would have to take of when the photos are supplied to us, we will be asking for sign off that they are compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jacksn

Axwell wrote: »
    In the unlikely case someone in a photo was to ask you where you got permission to use it you would then be in a position to say Provider X provided it.

Likely event i would consider.. as the controller of the images, i would have a process in place as the data subject to remove the image I am in control of in respect of 'right of erasure' if the data subject withdraws their consent and remove the photo or cropped them out instead of passing it back to Provider X.

Advertisement