Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expiring Licence - Next Steps

Options
  • 19-04-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hello Folks,
    My license is expiring in 6 weeks. I do not plan on renewing as I live permanently outside of Ireland.
    I have a family relative who has a firearm license who may apply for another one for my rifle (CZ 455 .22LR).
    If they decide not to, can I have the rifle dropped down to the garda station for future storage?
    Or should I have it dropped off to a shooting club? It is a lovely rifle so I am not that keen on selling it even if it is a few years away if I ever return to Ireland.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bruman

I wouldn’t leave it with the Gardai. A dealer will charge you to store it. The relative would be my preferred option.

Where you based ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The Guards won't touch it. If your going to give it to your relative try and get the paper work through as soon as possible while your own licence is still valid. All the paper work is downloadable from Garda.ie
    If your licence runs out but you have range membership and they provide storage then your good to go, other wise it will need to be stored in a local RFD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get your shooting relative to licence it in their name. Storage for a few years although it's quite a nice little rifle will probably end up being more expensive than what the rifle is worth.

Remember, it's only the rifle that requires a licence, not the accessories. Scopes, mounts, slings, bipods and so on can be retained without a licence as they're not firearm parts.

If you remove those it'll probably not be a realistic option to fork out for long term storage in an RFD.

The Guards won't touch it. If your going to give it to your relative try and get the paper work through as soon as possible while your own licence is still valid. All the paper work is downloadable from Garda.ie
    If your licence runs out but you have range membership and they provide storage then your good to go, other wise it will need to be stored in a local RFD

As cookimonster said, the only firearms the Gardai store are those in their armoury and those in evidence lockers. Practically speaking as far as I know the only option when you hand it in is destruction and you don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

As cookimonster said, the only firearms the Gardai store are those in their armoury and those in evidence lockers. Practically speaking as far as I know the only option when you hand it in is destruction and you don't want that.

If you hand in to AGS today I can say for definite it'll be cut up within 24hrs. They dont store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Hey,
    Thanks for the replies. My relative has tried his local garda station but they were closed each time. He is going to go to Trim garda station to had in the forms. He already has a shotgun and was my reference for the rifle so I hope no issues.
    A friend of the family said he will store it in his gun club after the license expires.

Hey,
    Thanks for the replies. My relative has tried his local garda station but they were closed each time. He is going to go to Trim garda station to had in the forms. He already has a shotgun and was my reference for the rifle so I hope no issues.
    A friend of the family said he will store it in his gun club after the license expires.

It should be straightforward enough. You may just have to write a letter for the Gardai stating that you have transferred ownership and that the new owner will not take possession until a licence is in place.

Advertisement