Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to watch the World Cup 2018 as a local

• 19-04-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭

Well folks,

We were talking about this topic in work. Since Ireland didn't qualify we wont be going to Russia (not that i've a problem as i've been there before).

What country would be the best place to go and watch the world cup to soak up the atmosphere with the locals ?

Some people in work were saying Peru (last world cup was 1982)
    I was saying Panama as it is their first world cup however the time difference is -6 hours -games would be on at weird times

Iceland may be a good shout as it's their first WC also (pints would be expensive though)

Here's the teams:

Team Last Qualified
     Iceland N/A
     Panama N/A
     Peru 1982
     Egypt 1990
     Morocco 1998
     Senegal 2002
     Saudi Arabia 2006
     Tunisia 2006
     Poland 2006
     Sweden 2006
     Denmark 2010
     Serbia 2010
     Iran 2014
     Costa Rica 2014
     Croatia 2014
     Australia 2014
     Japan 2014
     Nigeria 2014
     Colombia 2014
     Portugal 2014
     South Korea 2014
     Russia 2014
     Switzerland 2014
     Belgium 2014
     Uruguay 2014
     England 2014
     Spain 2014
     France 2014
     Mexico 2014
     Argentina 2014
     Germany 2014
     Brazil 2014

So what competing country (and /City) would you go to and watch the world cup 'as a local' and what would be your criteria ?

or have you been in country before whose team was in the world cup... how was it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tehran (Iran) would be good craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I was homosexual I would defo go to Saudi Arabia to watch the games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am looking to go away for a holiday during the world cup and this was one of the factors that came into my decision.. Said I would like to go to a country that are playing in the world cup while I am over there, think we are going to go to Krakow and I will be there for their final group game which should be a good atmosphere, didn't realise it's their first WC since 2006.

If money was no issue and you were going purely for the reason in the OP then I would say Iceland would be a no brainer. Egypt will surely be mental too and they have a realistic chance of getting out of the group and one of the form players in the world on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on who wins it!

Iceland - Would be great craic, Bbut boody expensive place to go out and get drunk watching football.
    Germany - No to the early stages, yes to the later ones (that said, I live in Berlin and know several bars that give out free shots with the Germans score....)
    Brazil (and possibly Argentina) - These would be my choice. Always wanted to visit these countries and Brazil looks like an awesome place for a football party.

Ideally you want one of the underdog teams that puts in a gut-busting run to the semis.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I am looking to go away for a holiday during the world cup and this was one of the factors that came into my decision.. Said I would like to go to a country that are playing in the world cup while I am over there, think we are going to go to Krakow and I will be there for their final group game which should be a good atmosphere, didn't realise it's their first WC since 2006.

If money was no issue and you were going purely for the reason in the OP then I would say Iceland would be a no brainer. Egypt will surely be mental too and they have a realistic chance of getting out of the group and one of the form players in the world on their hands.

nice....was in Poland in 2012 for the euros and it was savage!!

Was in Krakow last year and it is a good spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was in Berlin for a good bit of 2010 and Toronto for 2014. Toronto is such a melting pot I think it was great. If Colombia were playing they'd flood the streets, same for Brazil. They were the 2 most noticeable but the large immigrant communities were great.

Germany you could obviously get behind a competitive team which is another way to go about it.

So Italy, Chile or the USA would probably be good bets...oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

I was in Barcelona when Spain won it in 2010. Watched it in an Irish bar off the Rambles. Talk a about a subdued ****e atmosphere out on the street after.

Liam O wrote: »
    Toronto is such a melting pot I think it was great.

What about the time difference in Toronto, the games would be on in the day time was there many in the pubs, bit of craic ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Don't come to Australia anyway, there's not too much build up to it, the games are going to be on at God awful hours in the middle of the night/early morning and it'll be the middle of winter frown.png

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Uruguay have won it twice, including being the first winners back in 1930 on home territory and in 1950 next door in Brazil. I've got a bit of memorabilia from both victories. Wouldn't mind a trip to Montevideo as I've already been to Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires, and the South American fans are probably the nuttiest out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Liam O wrote: »
    I was in Berlin for a good bit of 2010 and Toronto for 2014. Toronto is such a melting pot I think it was great. If Colombia were playing they'd flood the streets, same for Brazil. They were the 2 most noticeable but the large immigrant communities were great.

Germany you could obviously get behind a competitive team which is another way to go about it.

So Italy, Chile or the USA would probably be good bets...oh wait.

I was in Toronto for Euro 2004. It's amazing to see the carnival atmosphere from the different neighbourhoods! Portuguese and Italian communites stood out for me then! Driving around, honking their horns, everyone waving flags and hopping about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ha, no wAy. I forgot I will be in France during the World Cup! We booked it last year and the thought never occurred to me!

But if I had to choose a World Cup base it would be Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

croatia is your answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Rob a bank and head to Iceland. It'll be amazing craic, plus the locals won't judge you, they're not fond of banks there.

chips1234 wrote: »
    croatia is your answer

mmm never been.... prob should stay away from the beach places eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

chips1234 wrote: »
    croatia is your answer

The most beautiful place I've been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Would you not still go to Russia and pick 3 games to attend and maybe 3 cities to visit.
    That's our plan and it's not that expensive and tickets aren't hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Engerland, because I enjoy trashing my home town centre when we get knocked out in group/last 16.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Probably going to fly over to Iceland for their opener just to soak up the atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

yabadabado wrote: »
    Would you not still go to Russia and pick 3 games to attend and maybe 3 cities to visit.
    That's our plan and it's not that expensive and tickets aren't hard to come by.

What cities are you going to?

@OP

Iceland N/A
    Peru 1982
    Egypt 1990
    MOROCCO 1998
    Poland 2006
    Sweden 2006
    Serbia 2010
    Iran 2014
    Costa Rica 2014
    Croatia 2014
    Nigeria 2014
    Colombia 2014
    Portugal 2014
    Russia 2014
    Belgium 2014
    Uruguay 2014
    Spain 2014
    Mexico 2014
    Argentina 2014
    Brazil 2014

All of the above should have good atmospheres. If I'd to narrow it down I'd pick

Egypt
    Portugal
    Russia
    Poland
    Columbia,
    Argentina,
    Brazil
    Mefigi6
    Iceland
    Croatia

Poland would be my preferred choice and I'd do a 3 city trip between krakow, Warsaw and gdansk. Gdansk will have a lot of fans staying there from various countries who are playing in kalingrad which is close. The food and drink is very cheap in Poland, the cities are nice and the woman and atmosphere will be good. You could even go to the last 16 match in kalingrad by bus from gdansk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    What cities are you going to?
    Samara
    Saransk
    Novgorod
    Moscow

A few days and a match in each city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Poland would be my preferred choice and I'd do a 3 city trip between krakow, Warsaw and gdansk. Gdansk will have a lot of fans staying there from various countries who are playing in kalingrad which is close. The food and drink is very cheap in Poland, the cities are nice and the woman and atmosphere will be good. You could even go to the last 16 match in kalingrad by bus from gdansk.[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with this.Was at Euro 2012 for the group games and had a great time. The people are sound, the weather will be nice in June, and the women:eek:. There also good supporters and really get behind their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Definitely do Poland OP. Nice cities, pubs be busy, good atmosphere, be cheap too. Can't go wrong.

Advertisement