Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a new credit card is so easy it's scary

• 19-04-2018 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I have a balance on a credit card and I'm being charged around 18% interest. Not in a position to clear it all in one go for a while so I decided to look for a new card with an introductory offer of 0% on balance transfers for X months.

Googled credit cards from my smartphone, put in a few details on a Avant Card's website and I got an email asking me to click a link and upload (photo would do) proof of ID and a bank statement. It was so easy to take 2 photos and upload them....

Got an email a couple of days later saying "congratulations your new card is on its way" (with a limit 3 times the amount of my current card!!)

I didn't realise that the card would just issue without having to sign anything or even speak to anyone.

I'm a little shocked & slightly uneasy at how easy it was

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I have a balance on a credit card and I'm being charged around 18% interest. Not in a position to clear it all in one go for a while so I decided to look for a new card with an introductory offer of 0% on balance transfers for X months.

Googled credit cards from my smartphone, put in a few details on a Avant Card's website and I got an email asking me to click a link and upload (photo would do) proof of ID and a bank statement. It was so easy to take 2 photos and upload them....

Got an email a couple of days later saying "congratulations your new card is on its way" (with a limit 3 times the amount of my current card!!)

I didn't realise that the card would just issue without having to sign anything or even speak to anyone.

I'm a little shocked & slightly uneasy at how easy it was

Thats how MBNA got on before the crash. Given avantcard are still collecting a lot of those bad debts you'd think they'd know better.....but typical mentality, short term gains earn the bonuses, not long term prudence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I actually called them to confirm. I dont particularly want credit limit as high as they gave me (over €10K).

I've was then told that they could give me 9 months interest free for the balance transfer rather than the previously stated 6 months

:eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

That's the credit card model - issue aa many as possible, do some security checks (decline those that pay off in full), offer high limits and low minimum payment terms.

At 22.9% apr and money market rates at 0%, you can afford a few non payers and still make a substantial profit.

Good model, high rates, but not extortionate (such as littlewoods 39.9%).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

10k isn't a target, careful with it but it can come in handy if managed correctly.
    Take as high a limit as they'll give you doesn't cost extra. If it was with your normal day to day bank would be even better as you have a bargaining chip for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You still need personal responsibility. The high interest rates on CCs make them a money spinner and the frat of destroying your credit rating minimizes the bad sent potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Oh I know the high limit isn't a target. In fact the plan is to divide the current balance by 9 (the amount of months interest free) and have it cleared before the interest kicks in. Then a decision shall be made around whether I even need a credit card.

All I was getting at here is how simple it was to obtain a credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Boom is back baby!

You'll be glad of a few empty 10k cards when it all implodes again and the bank refuses you a loan.

Advertisement