Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE ON MUILEANN KINSEALY PLEASE :)

Options
  • 19-04-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

my husband and I are considering to buy a house in Muileann, Kinsealy at the moment.

The prices seem fairly ok compared to what you would pay in Portmarnock for a new build house. We currently live in Portmarnock and can't afford to buy here but would love to stick around the area (beach/ malahide/ swords/ airport/ good access to city centre/ family friendly/ safe) We know that the public transport isn't as good as it is in Portmarnock with the dart.

We're looking on any advice on the area for example the below points:

- how long does it take to get to the Swords Express Bus walking and how long does the bus take to get into town form there. During rush hours, is there any seats free on the bus or would you usually be left standing at the side of the road because of overloaded busses?

- It seems like a friendly and nice neighbourhood. Any information on this? What is the pub/ shops close by like? Would it be a safe area to walk as a young woman alone? A safe area for children?

- What are schools like?

- A lot of people seem to be selling around the area at the moment. Just wondering if you think there is a reason for why people might be looking to leave the area?

- What would be your top 5 things about the area and what would be your worst 5 things about the area?

Any thoughts and advice are much appreciated!
    Thanks so much for giving us as much insight as possible. It will make our decision on whether or not to go for the property much easier. :)

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Walking to the swords express stop is less than 10 minutes for the furthest house away. The closest houses is less than 5 minutes. You can’t stand on a swords express, you either get a seat or you can’t get on. It happens sometimes in Holywell where a few go past full in a row but heyve got better at getting sweeper busses to start three stops back in boroimhe so you’re rarely waiting long. It takes about 15 minutes to get to the convention centre usually. It can take that much again to get to Eden Quay though so it depends where you’re getting off. Dublin bus run the 142 from portmarnock through Holywell but it’s a very limited service. I walk to Holywell for the swords express from an estate bear muillean and I’m happy with it.

The pub was redeveloped in the last few years and it’s quite nice now. I rarely go for a drink in the evening but it’s alright for food during the day. We've been living here 10 years and never had a problem with walking around at any time. We have kids too and are happy letting them out to play. The shop is good and very handy but there’s now also the Tesco within a walk if you need a few extra things.

Our eldest is in the gaelscoil and the rest will follow her in over ge next few years. It’s an excellent school. We’ve only heard good things about the school in Holywell. The only issue is picking a secondary school but kids around here seem to go to malahide, portmarnock, swords and donaghmeade for schools. A couple of school buses leave the shop car park every morning so you have choices.

A lot of houses have gone up for sale in Drynam Hall but not really in the older estates. I think that’s just because everyone who bought in Drynam ended up in negative equity and are only just getting out of it now. They’d all have moved earlier if they could have. There some pyrite issues there too so I’d say some people just want to see the back of them. I don’t think it’s a reflection on the area at all though.

Best things are the schools, ease of commute to city via the tunnel and having pretty much everything we need in Swords close by. Downsides are getting home from town on a night out but there is a nitelink that goes down feltrim road. Our only issue is our house is too small for us now but if we could get a large four bed in the area we’d stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SvenjaP

Thank you so much Tobsey.
    Does the Swords Express go very frequently? I work close to Capel street so how long would you say it would take me from door to door? More than an hour?

How long of a walk is the nearest night link stop?

Appreciate all the advice! :)

SvenjaP wrote: »
    Thank you so much Tobsey.
    Does the Swords Express go very frequently? I work close to Capel street so how long would you say it would take me from door to door? More than an hour?

How long of a walk is the nearest night link stop?

Appreciate all the advice! :)

The swords express is very frequent at peak times. Check their timetable http://www.swordsexpress.com/Timetable/. I wouldn’t rely on the exact times at Holywell because it depends on the traffic but it gives you a good idea of the frequency. I’d say an hour would be the max though door to door unless you were very unlucky. I get off at the first or second stop after the tunnel so I’m only on it for less than 15 minutes. More of my one is spent walking and waiting than actually on it. So I don’t know how long it usually takes to finish. When I worked near temple bar I used to get off at the convention centre stop and use the Dublin Bikes as that was quicker than staying on to the end and walking. To be honest I’d say you’d still get to work quicker than the majority of places on the Northside with Dublin bus.

The nitelink is the 42N. If you check the Dublin bus site you’ll see a map. It’s basically a mix of the 43 and 42 routes but also serves ballybough in town. The 43 is the Dublin bus service that goes down Feltrim Road. It’s not very frequent but it is reliable. If you know the area there’s a stop at the driving range at the corner of kettles lane and feltrim road. You could get off at the Eurospar and walk through Melrose either depending on where your house is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deirdreellen

Sorry to jump in on post, but my partner Andy I are also considering moving into this area. Reading the lists above definitely gives me a positive vibe about the area. Have you and your partner bought a house in Muileann yet Svenja? Like yourself my partner is from Portmarnock and house prices there a little out of budget. Kettles lane does seem like a nice area and very safe. Any advice would be much appreciated and tips on the local area
    Thanks

Hi Deirdre,

We ended up buying the house in Mulieann. We’ve done a lot of research and looked for advice and are confident that it’s a good area. We’re hoping to move in in September.

are you also looking in Mulieann? If you are, there’s a great Facebook group for residents which has helped us a lot through the process of decision making and the steps leading up to signing the contracts. It seems like a lovely community.

Here is the link for “Mulieann Kinsealy resident”
    https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=737145683136267&ref=content_filter

Any other questions fire away. Happy to help and good luck with the decision making :)
    Svenja
    Sorry to jump in on post, but my partner Andy I are also considering moving into this area. Reading the lists above definitely gives me a positive vibe about the area. Have you and your partner bought a house in Muileann yet Svenja? Like yourself my partner is from Portmarnock and house prices there a little out of budget. Kettles lane does seem like a nice area and very safe. Any advice would be much appreciated and tips on the local area
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

SvenjaP wrote: »

We ended up buying the house in Mulieann. We’ve done a lot of research and looked for advice and are confident that it’s a good area. We’re hoping to move in in September.

Did you just buy at the weekend or were you in an earlier phase?

We’re Phase 2.
    hanaimai wrote: »
    Did you just buy at the weekend or were you in an earlier phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭LittleFox

Hi I just had a quick query, myself and my partner are very interested in phase four for muileann but are confused as to the layout of the type I house. In the brochure we got at the open house the kitchen appears to have a small store attached to it but the floor plan online does not show this. Can I ask where the washing machine is located in type I and is there the possibility of extending the kitchen? Thank you.

Hi,

I’m not sure as I don’t have the plans for the type I house and can only see the online ones too. There is a Facebook group though called “Muileann Kinsealy Resident”. Most people looking to buy there join to ask questions like yours. I hope you’ll get your answers there :)
    Svenja

From looking at the plans I’d say it’s under the stairs.

Edit: or maybe the small room beside the downstairs toilet. There’s no door to it on the plan but there is a small room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement