Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on the Irish Oral

Options
  • 19-04-2018 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Evening,

A quick query on the Irish oral that someone might be able to help me with.

My daughter had her oral today. She was well prepared and had the various sraiths learned off.

She reckoned her sraith went very well, so much so that the examiner was conversing in 'honours Irish' as opposed to Pass which she is sitting.

Her logic is that the examiners don't know whether you are honours or pass and the oral is common level so the examiner will mark her as an honours student.

I know this seems illogical but my question is.. how does the common oral exam work? Presumably the examiner is aware of the level of the student or alternatively, the marks are common but subsequently weighed depending on whether they are honours and pass.

Appreciate any help and it will alleviate the exam anxiety to some degree!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭L360

The examiner does not know whether a student is higher or odinary level in the oral and so each student is marked out of 240 marks regardless of what level they are..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

paulocon2 wrote: »

She reckoned her sraith went very well, so much so that the examiner was conversing in 'honours Irish' as opposed to Pass which she is sitting.

The questions are pretty run of the mill. Area, family etc. The examiner would only have gone on to harder stuff if the student had been clearly able. If not, then the examiner would have cooled it and asked easier stuff. As it's a common exam, it's doable by all levels. I had some very weak students this year, presume they were pass, but they all did fine.

Advertisement