Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Absolutely love my 34" UW. Be advised though it's not all plain sailing with resolutions and FOV. I personally noticed no difference between 144Hz and 60Hz other swear by it. If going to 27" or more 1440p is a must IMO and there's little point in running a 1080ti at 1080p unless you are extremely sensitive to framerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Should get higher resolution. No point having the 1080 ti at 1080p. Should be 1440 or 2160. First monitor you liked is free sync that component only works with ati card. Would need a g-sync equivalent for nvidiaI got this with my 1080 system about 18 months ago. Limited to 60hz no g-sync

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2715H-27-Inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B00P0EQD1Q

This was also a contender at the time. You lose the ips panel but get g-sync

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-s2716dg-144hz-nvidia-g-sync-2k-gaming-monitor-tn-2560x1440-1ms-1000-1-black-dp-12-hdmi-1-4x?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo_X1s7HH2gIVKCjTCh3x7Qr9EAQYASABEgLAjfD_BwE

I don’t particularly rate this site but might indicate what is out there - https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/

It gets pricey very quickly when you want all the bells and whistles

I'd love to get an ultrawide myself but don't have the room so have a 1440p 27" AGON that's amazing. I wouldn't bother with an ultrawide on the budget you have. Just save and get one of the 800 quid one's. All have great reviews and would be worth it in the long run over the one's you listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For a 1080Ti you really need either 1440P 144hz or 4K. Anything lower is quite a waste and means the card would be sitting largely idle all the time (especially in MMO games which are not usually that demanding).

Since you're not an FPS/action player, I would say in this case a decent 27" 4K monitor would be ideal or else stretch a little bit more and get this 1440p/144hz panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Thanks for all the advice..who knew the world of monitors was such a minefield! i have pulled the trigger on the one terrorfirmer linked..thanks terrorfirmer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Absolutely love my 34" UW. Be advised though it's not all plain sailing with resolutions and FOV. I personally noticed no difference between 144Hz and 60Hz other swear by it. If going to 27" or more 1440p is a must IMO and there's little point in running a 1080ti at 1080p unless you are extremely sensitive to framerates.

If that's true you may want to check if your monitor is outputting at its rated hz or that vsync is off. Sometimes framerate isn't set to the highest by default. You can check in the gpu control panel.

I'd agree with you that anything over 27" needs to be higher than 1080p. And a 1080ti is being under utilised if gaming at 1080p.

That AOC one is free sync not g-sync though just to highlight?

That's the issue with g-sync though the equivalent monitors are generally pricer. This looks like the g-sync equivalent - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=psdc_428652031_t2_B01G4AUGR6

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice..who knew the world of monitors was such a minefield! i have pulled the trigger on the one terrorfirmer linked..thanks terrorfirmer!

I have that model but with the GSYNC and VA panel. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

gazzamc wrote: »
    If that's true you may want to check if your monitor is outputting at its rated hz or that vsync is off. Sometimes framerate isn't set to the highest by default. You can check in the gpu control panel.

I'd agree with you that anything over 27" needs to be higher than 1080p. And a 1080ti is being under utilised if gaming at 1080p.

I was definitely getting the best from the monitor. I'm just not sensitive to framerates anything above 40 or so and I'm happy. I'm just old :D

I was definitely getting the best from the monitor. I'm just not sensitive to framerates anything above 40 or so and I'm happy. I'm just old :D

I guess it depends on the games you play also, I can't even play at 60fps anymore,has to be 100+

• Advertisement

Woden wrote: »
    That AOC one is free sync not g-sync though just to highlight?

That's the issue with g-sync though the equivalent monitors are generally pricer. This looks like the g-sync equivalent - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GTODWPU/ref=psdc_428652031_t2_B01G4AUGR6

Yes but it's £200+ more expensive. Up to a user if they'll pay that for Gsync but if the budget's set in stone, the Freesync option is perfectly fine.

Gsync/Freesync should be 3rd consideration to resolution/refresh really for the majority of users.

Woden that aoc monitor you linked in your post definitely seems like a scam to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

For a 1080Ti you really need either 1440P 144hz or 4K. Anything lower is quite a waste and means the card would be sitting largely idle all the time (especially in MMO games which are not usually that demanding).

Since you're not an FPS/action player, I would say in this case a decent 27" 4K monitor would be ideal or else stretch a little bit more and get this 1440p/144hz panel.

While I agree with going for the higher resolution(s), it's a bit unfair to say the GPU would "be idle" at 1080p
    I run mine with 4k oversampling back into a 1080p monitor (until I can afford an upgrade) and the graphical improvement is very noticeable over standard 1080 textures.

All said though, you'd be silly to buy a 1080p monitor.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Woden that aoc monitor you linked in your post definitely seems like a scam to me?

Amazon will look after you if it is.
    I'd buy it quick if I was in the market for one. b4 the price changes.
    nothing to loose really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Except a headache, its a scam, steer clear

That is 100% a transparent scam. Amazon is rife will them all the time. Click on 'other sellers' and you will get the real prices (£600+)

Are yiz talking about the Gsync one? I got mine on Amazon for 600ish and it's perfect.

670 to be exact.

The g-sync one? AOC AG271QG. Its £630 when I click on the link sold by AOC International. I'm UK based though. The freesync one I see at £410

Woden wrote: »
    The g-sync one? AOC AG271QG. Its £630 when I click on the link sold by AOC International. I'm UK based though. The freesync one I see at £410

A while ago it was showing up at £280 from one of those blatantly obvious scam sellers. Only problem is some people buy without really paying attention, thinking they're getting an amazing bargain.

Yeah as terrorfirmer said it was coming up for me at 280 as well and being sold by some shady company that deals in herb oils lol...it seems to be fixed now though 629 sterling...feck that!

• Advertisement

Yeah just wanted to indicate the g-sync premium over freesync. But you don't get to complain as you have a 1080Ti!

If you have a 1080Ti you should just save and wait until you can afford a high end monitor to compliment it. That's what i would do anyway but each to their own and all that.

Thing is grahamer i had a pc build budget of 1600 and i ended up spending 2300..now im really tight with monitor, as much as id love to splash out 800 on a acer predator,wife is going to murder me as it is!
    If only i had bought terrorfirmers 1080ti machine on adverts i could have got the monitor:-)

Realistically that 144hz 1440p Agon is pretty high end in the overall scheme of things and a great compliment to a GTX1080Ti.

There are people out there with €1,200 PC's playing on cheap €100 22" monitors.

My housemate has a GTX1070 on a 1080p 60hz Samsung that's about 7 years old.

Thing is grahamer i had a pc build budget of 1600 and i ended up spending 2300..now im really tight with monitor, as much as id love to splash out 800 on a acer predator,wife is going to murder me as it is!
    If only i had bought terrorfirmers 1080ti machine on adverts i could have got the monitor:-)

I was the same with my last build before the current one. I kept adding bits after the basic build and it ended up costing me a good bit more than i had planned.

I'm not married though so i wasn't murdered. :pac:

Realistically that 144hz 1440p Agon is pretty high end in the overall scheme of things and a great compliment to a GTX1080Ti.

There are people out there with €1,200 PC's playing on cheap €100 22" monitors.

My housemate has a GTX1070 on a 1080p 60hz Samsung that's about 7 years old.

It defeats the purpose to spend big on hardware when you can't even experience the frames... You need good peripherals to compliment the hardware for the best experience.

Advertisement