Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown garden advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Christ - I's see if Kim Jong is willing to give you one of his nukes.

I think a machete would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I was going to suggest a good long handled slash hook but I think a couple of goats might to a better job on that lot tbh ...:eek:

Edit: Best gloves for that type of work are the thick leather welding gloves - you'll get a pair in your local hardware shop ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Clearing similar with secateurs.. LIDL E2. Snip each bramble right at base ..

Long reach hedge trimmer is the machine you want for clearing this. Keep cutting it back like a hedge until you can get under neath to cut the stems which are often clumped together. If you you keep cutting back 6 inches it makes the debris left over manageable.

Long reach hedge trimmer is best because it saves a lot of stooping. If you bought a kombi system)(multi tool) you could always by a strimmer attachment for it for other tidying up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Congrats on the new house!

I did a lot of this last year. In my bloodied, exhausted experience....

- Chainsaw: wrong tool, dangerous.
    - Hedge trimmer: too weak, will get destroyed. Hedge trimmers are designed to cut leaves and thin shoots.
    - Strimmer: fine if you want to tickle it, otherwise useless.
    - Bill hook: too short.

What will work OK:
    - Hand saws: good for stems over an inch thick, except you'll be removing the leverage you need to get the roots out.
    - Loppers: Good for reaching in to thumb-thick base stems, but it looks like you have thousands.
    - Secateurs: are you immortal? If so, this is a great choice. But you'll still need to get at the roots with something else.

What will work well...
    - Slash hook: perfect hand tool for clearance, will cut and pull.
    - Pick axe/mattock. Get a good fibreglass-handled one. The wider-bladed ones are good for digging and cutting roots, the narrower blade ones have more force but need accuracy. Using a pick-axe is very tiring!

The thing I always wanted but never tried was a petrol brush cutter with a solid blade. I wouldn't buy any power tools for this job as you'll only be doing it once, but you could hire one.

Even if you manage to clear the surface, you'll still have all the roots to deal with. It took me a whole weekend recently to clear a 5m section of hedge with hand tools, and half of that was the roots.

If you want this done quickly and have sufficiently access, get in a digger and a diesel chipper/shredder run by experienced operators, rip the stuff out by the roots, feed it into the maw of death and get any stuff that can't be chipped/shredded removed off site.

Wear protective clothing, particularly eye protection, boots and thick trousers. Good cheap PPE online, in builders providers or in DIY shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Loppers are great for taking down overgrown brambles etc. They look like they wouldn't do much but they're very effective.

I had a challenge like this a few years ago, not on this scale! The pain was after the cutting down, chopping it into smaller bit for the brown bin!

Don't try and tackle it in one go, just do it bit by bit. But you've a lovely few days to be out in the garden :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lumen wrote: »
    - Hedge trimmer: too weak, will get destroyed. Hedge trimmers are designed to cut leaves and thin shoots.
    what i can see in the photos looks very doable for a hedge trimmer though. i bought a reasonably good bosch one and it can handle (fresh) wood as thick as a finger.

i'd say borrow one and it'd go through the brambles with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

i rented one of these from Wicklow Hire, great machine but takes a bit of upper body strength to steer and manoeuvre;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcSZqb5rMB4

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Wow, didn't expect so many replys. Thanks for all the advice.
    So things to borrow or buy.......

Machete
    Briar hook
    Long handled slash hook
    Secateurs
    Long reach hedge trimmer ( kombi)
    Loppers
    Pick axe

I've no bother buying most of these second hand as they can be sharpened and used plenty in the future

Rent.....
    Diesel chipper
    Possibly the petrol hedge trimmer

What about disposing/ using the chopped up stuff??

Rotavating might or might not be needed but sure that's way down the line.

We're not actually in now, we've just gone sale agreed. I just wanna hit the ground running when we get the keys so we can get the bbq fired up!

• Advertisement

pegdrums wrote: »

I chopped it up relatively small and put them in the large compostable bags and put them in the brown bin. The ones that didn't go in, I just left them in the garden until their turn for the bin came around. They end up getting soggy in the bag so get easier to shove into the bin!

It did take alot of time and arm scratches to get the stuff to acceptable size for collection.

RockDesk wrote: »
    I chopped it up relatively small and put them in the large compostable bags and put them in the brown bin. The ones that didn't go in, I just left them in the garden until their turn for the bin came around. They end up getting soggy in the bag so get easier to shove into the bin!

It did take alot of time and arm scratches to get the stuff to acceptable size for collection.

Do you think any of it could be used for mulch or composting?

Or would it just come back to life and take over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BTW OP, progress reports with photos would be very much appreciated. Best of luck with the project!

I have no idea, sorry. I've never made my own mulch or compost. I'm sure someone here would know though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you do get a strimmer then look for a decent one that will also work as a brushcutter, I did a similar job to that in a corner of the garden and it worked very well.

You'd have gone through a lot of nylon string before one of these is starting to show signs of wear and tear.

Definitely a machete, was a shop local to here that was selling them as 'bramble slashers' or something along those lines. I got 2, cause they were 5.99!!! My wife asked me why I needed 2.... 'I don't but they're 5.99' :o she didn't get it.

Good luck with it, be a pretty satisfying job to do with some nice weather. Make sure to keep a few beers or ciders in the fridge!!!

BTW OP, progress reports with photos would be very much appreciated. Best of luck with the project!

Oh yes! Make sure you take lots of photos so you can admire your hard work when it's all done!

Definitely. As I said it'll be a while yet before were in and can get started but I'll definitely be doing a progress reportas it's my first time. I'll keep Ya posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Machete
    Briar hook
    Long handled slash hook
    You only need one of these. They all do basically the same job.

The machete is a hacking tool, I don't think it will pull stuff out.

The slash hook has enough length to swing and pull out stuff. It's a real weapon. :D

I don't know what a briar hook is. Is it better than a slash? Don't know.
    Rent diesel chipper...What about disposing/ using the chopped up stuff??

I wouldn't rent a chipper. They have a tendency to clog up and then you're stuffed, particularly if you're doing it at the weekend when the hire place can't help. Better to just pay someone (tree surgery type contractor) to come in and chip it on site, and leave you with the chippings for mulch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Garden plant books from library to ID any keepers

Wheel Barrow and Grape fork.
    One in cutting and one pulling out and bagging at a safe distance.

Plus before you start swinging or chopping, a long stick to check for builders rubble (not carefully stored at a hight:D)

Best of luck on the house & BBQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

Brambles take a long time to compost especially the thorns, if you have a long term compost pile might go in there

• Advertisement

Bramble and vines best not use
    Leaves and small soft greener shoots\twigs would be ok
    Larger harder wood would take a longer time so you would need 2 piles if composting on site.

The slash hook has enough length to swing and pull out stuff. It's a real weapon. :D

The briar hook is usually a handheld slash hook (without a long handle) with a more pronounced curve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll be surprised how little that vast bulk of material takes up if you mulch it down, compared to its original volume.

For industrial amounts of long thick briars a hedge trimmer is not much use in my experience as the stems are very fiberous / flexible (not like wood) and can have a nasty habit of whipping back straight at you.

Any chance you can organise a meitheal of neighbours / friends with the promise of beer and bbq when finished :D

You only need one of these. They all do basically the same job.

The machete is a hacking tool, I don't think it will pull stuff out.

I wouldn't rent a chipper. They have a tendency to clog up and then you're stuffed, particularly if you're doing it at the weekend when the hire place can't help. Better to just pay someone (tree surgery type contractor) to come in and chip it on site, and leave you with the chippings for mulch.

Slashhook my weapon of choice (for brambles)

Last time I bought one I had to carry it through the town to where I was parked up. Got some very strange looks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

OP I'd give serious thought to getting a gardener in just to clear it as opposed to buying equipments that you'll (hopefully) not need again. I spent €200 when I moved into my house to get a gardener to clear the entire thing (and it was seriously overgrown) and it was the best €200 I ever spent. Took him 1 1/2 days, he took all the rubbish away and gave me advise about the plants he unearthed. We even found a paved garden path that you couldn't even see due to it being so overgrown.

gozunda wrote: »
    Slashhook my weapon of choice (for brambles)

Last time I bought one I had to carry it through the town to where I was parked up. Got some very strange looks :D

Naw, that wasn't the slash hook, it was the big black hooded cape.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Be wary of small pieces of blackberry, they will start to root and regrow if not removed from the ground, I would be inclined to stack it to dry and burn as much of it as you can to prevent regrowth.
    If you have good neighbours a hot fire won't release much smoke, just don't overload it with green material or it will produce a lot of smoke.

Naw, that wasn't the slash hook, it was the big black hooded cape.:eek:

You're thinking of a Scythe - that's for different type of work altogether ;)

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    You're thinking of a Scythe - that's for different type of work altogether ;)
    Yes I know, but the OP could put it on the list for the post winter cut.

Advertisement