Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Glazing

Options
  • 20-04-2018 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all. We're going to renovate and extend our home, which is close to a busy junction with lots of traffic noise. Our neighbours recently upgraded their glazing but it still is very loud for them so we are maybe looking to put in sash windows with acoustic glass (secondary glass not an option). Anybody any experience with acoustic glazing noise reduction and costs vs standard double glazing? Or is it even available in Ireland? Thanks all for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Sash windows have very poor seals, generally, side opening generally seal much better. Triple glazing does work very well, but you have to consider trickle ventilation, or wall vents which might allow more noise in than the windows do. Not sure what you mean by 'acoustic glass' sounds like a salesman's throwaway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dearlandlord

imp1 wrote: »
    Sash windows have very poor seals, generally, side opening generally seal much better. Triple glazing does work very well, but you have to consider trickle ventilation, or wall vents which might allow more noise in than the windows do. Not sure what you mean by 'acoustic glass' sounds like a salesman's throwaway line.
    Thanks Imp1, appreciate the info on sash windows, and the vents and trickles. Acoustic glass generally has laminates added, or two panes of differing thickness, or a larger gap between the panes. Was wondering if anyone on here might have any experience with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I fitted 3 doors with acoustic glass a bit ago. Looks like double glazing. Was 24mm thick if I remember correctly. I didn't buy it but think it was about €100 a sqm. I can't comment on how good it is yet though as they were pocket doors and the walls weren't finished so no idea how good or bad they were

Advertisement