Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholefoods and packaging

Options
  • 20-04-2018 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

This is a more general question about ingredients. Recently there has been a bunch of talk about food packaging and waste along with the financial and environmental implications.

What I'm wondering is if people would be actually willing to sacrifice a little convenience for the sake of combating this.

For example, if there was a small shop that sold whole foods like grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs and spices - stuff that has a naturally long shelf life - by weight. The idea being that you could bring your own containers, or buy reusable containers in the store.

Doing some cursory research I've found that you can pick up things like cashew nuts in bulk and they cost you a fraction of what you currently pay in Tesco (even for the organic ones). If you were to sell these on by weight you could easily pass on pretty significant savings.

I know I'd love a shop like this and would definitely be making weekly trips to it, but is that just me? Would you go out of your way for the savings and reduction in packaging?

Also, I should ask if anyone knows of a shop like this that already exists in Ireland (more specifically Dublin for me) outside of weekend market stalls?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Fallon and Byrne in Rathmines does this. Susan Jane White has a picture on Instagram.

I’d be delighted if somewhere near me offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The Co-op at Newmarket (D8) offers some items by bulk. You can bring your own container or get one to reuse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭theblacknight

Maldesu wrote: »
    The Co-op at Newmarket (D8) offers some items by bulk. You can bring your own container or get one to reuse there.

Just had a look at their website, this place looks great, thanks! Will have to make the trip into town some Saturday to check out their zero waste stall.
    Fallon and Byrne in Rathmines does this. Susan Jane White has a picture on Instagram.

I’d be delighted if somewhere near me offered it.

Oh, I had no idea they offered this will have to check out the new one in Dundrum once it's open, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'd love it, but outside of farmer's markets I don't know that anywhere down here in Cork offers this.

I use a lot of grains and pulses, and these days would bulk-buy them mostly in Asian shops. I know there's still packaging, but the content to packaging ratio is at least a bit better.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'd love it, but outside of farmer's markets I don't know that anywhere down here in Cork offers this.

I use a lot of grains and pulses, and these days would bulk-buy them mostly in Asian shops. I know there's still packaging, but the content to packaging ratio is at least a bit better.

I did find this place online that seems decent price wise and they have a decent variety of quantities. Will check out the suggestions above and might buy some other stuff in bulk here if I can't find it elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shenshen wrote: »

Mr Bell's sells some stuff by the kg.
    Natural Foods in Paul Street SC also have stuff in dispensers.

Wasn't there a shop somewhere years ago called Scoop that sold only dried goods by the kg? . Was somewhere in Dublin iirc

Edit: think it was on George's Street or Aungier Street

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Doing some cursory research I've found that you can pick up things like cashew nuts in bulk and they cost you a fraction of what you currently pay in Tesco (even for the organic ones).
    How much are they?

The cheapest cashews in tesco are €11 per kilo.

Are these what you are comparing to?

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266376222

unsalted, unroasted nuts are zero VAT. Roast cashews in tesco cost about double.

rubadub wrote: »
    How much are they?

The cheapest cashews in tesco are €11 per kilo.

Are these what you are comparing to?

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266376222

unsalted, unroasted nuts are zero VAT. Roast cashews in tesco cost about double.

I was looking at the organic cashews from Tesco, which come in at €30.60 per kg, whereas buying in bulk (25kg) works out at around €15.

Advertisement