Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House or apartment?

Options
  • 20-04-2018 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I’ve sold a house with my ex so am in the market for my own place now. I thought I wanted an apartment around Northwood in Santry, as they’re in my price range and I like the area/proximity from town etc. I went to one viewing and the feeling of living in an apartment came back to me, after living in a house for the past few years: smelling people’s food in the corridor, the dark bathroom/hall, parking issues, etc. The last couple of weeks I’ve been staying with a family member in Clondalkin. It’s an area I would never have considered but the area she lives is really nice. It’s quiet, feels safe, the commute into town is not bad at all, and the bus doesn’t go through any dodgy areas, it's a bit further out of town than I would like though as I was really looking for something inside the M50. I’m considering maybe buying a house there now. It’s just me (no children or partner), but I’ll probably get a tenant to live with me. I can afford something around the €250k mark.

What’s your opinion? If I can get a house, would that always be preferable to an apartment / a better investment? I’m really torn now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

You have to do what is right for you, no one else can really answer this.

Go with your gut. Weigh up the pro's and cons of both and you will know.

Best of luck with your choice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yes! Dear god don’t go for an apartment if you can avoid one! Noise from every where, for a start! Annual maintenance fee. Sharing in a house is so much easier. You will also have a garden ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I went to one viewing and the feeling of living in an apartment came back to me, after living in a house for the past few years: smelling people’s food in the corridor, the dark bathroom/hall, parking issues, etc.

What’s your opinion? If I can get a house, would that always be preferable to an apartment / a better investment? I’m really torn now.
    Kind of answered your own question really imo. Never lived in an apartment but I have colleagues who do and wish they had never bought them. Obviously there are thousands of people living quite happily in an apartment and there are pros and cons to both however if you can afford a house with a garden etc what would the apartment offer that would be better?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I 'think' some of those northwood apartments have pyrite (open to correction) but I'd say house, house, house all day long. You can never control your neighbours but at least with a house you only have a few, apartment could be 100's. Maintenance fees, parking issues, change of circumstances (you may have kids in the future - Irish apartments aren't known for space and green areas).
    I don't know clondalkin but with your budget you might get something in Finglas East, it has nice settled areas, good built houses, near town, good links etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Dovies wrote: »
    Kind of answered your own question really imo. Never lived in an apartment but I have colleagues who do and wish they had never bought them. Obviously there are thousands of people living quite happily in an apartment and there are pros and cons to both however if you can afford a house with a garden etc what would the apartment offer that would be better?

A few things really: An en suite bedroom, so that if I get a tenant there won't be issues with showering in the morning, etc. Closer proximity to town and potential with the Metro North going in there (albeit in 10 year's time!), and I suppose a better perceived "name". Places like Clondalkin are huge and there's a many different sides to it as I've experienced myself, but in general it wouldn't have as good a reputation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

Hi all! I’ve sold a house with my ex so am in the market for my own place now. I thought I wanted an apartment around Northwood in Santry, as they’re in my price range and I like the area/proximity from town etc. I went to one viewing and the feeling of living in an apartment came back to me, after living in a house for the past few years: smelling people’s food in the corridor, the dark bathroom/hall, parking issues, etc. The last couple of weeks I’ve been staying with a family member in Clondalkin. It’s an area I would never have considered but the area she lives is really nice. It’s quiet, feels safe, the commute into town is not bad at all, and the bus doesn’t go through any dodgy areas, it's a bit further out of town than I would like though as I was really looking for something inside the M50. I’m considering maybe buying a house there now. It’s just me (no children or partner), but I’ll probably get a tenant to live with me. I can afford something around the €250k mark.

Most people would suggest going for a house over an apartment if they have children or planning on nesting in the early years.
    If you have no plans of children in the near future I would go for the apartment
    but do double check with Solicitor and get something in writing that the Pyrite
    problem that someone pointed out is remedied with the Northwood development,
    There was some primetime programme I can remember back a few year's ago
    with some woman who bought a ground floor apartment and had to move out
    in the Northwood development.

The location is great as I viewed an apartment in Lymewood Mews which seemed nicer apartments than the Northwood which is just directly behind it
    and as far as I'm aware no Pyrite problems. City Centre 15/20 mins airport close by /Omni SC nearby.

I've lived in good and bad apartment's and also good and bad houses. I've
    always hated a house after an apartment because of being on the ground floor
    restricted views and people knocking on the door were as an apartment you hardly get any of that and feels better secured.

If you get a 3 bed house in clondalkin, you could install ensuite, if it’s a big consideration...

Just searched myhome. Few houses with ensures for sale... as your intention is to share, that’s why I wouldnt touch an apartment, for a start ...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Also as you age, if on an upper floor it could be difficult, you can't install a chair lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

pc7 wrote: »
    Also as you age, if on an upper floor it could be difficult, you can't install a chair lift.

But you can use the lift? :confused:

I'm only in my mid 30s, so a chair lift isn't a worry just yet!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If you get a 3 bed house in clondalkin, you could install ensuite, if it’s a big consideration...

Just searched myhome. Few houses with ensures for sale... as your intention is to share, that’s why I wouldnt touch an apartment, for a start ...

This is it. Very few standard houses have en suites, whereas apartments do. Definitely worth thinking about installing a en suite at a later date though. The money I'd be saving on management fees could go towards it!

As a mater of interest, why would you not consider sharing an apartment with someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'm only in my mid 30s, so a chair lift isn't a worry just yet!

Then the issue with buying an apartment is that if the property market crashes again, you could be in a situation where there is negative equity on your property, it is not suitable for your needs (e.g. children etc) and you would find it very hard to move to more-suitable accomodation. Many people fell into this trap the last time around and were stuck in 2-bed apartments trying to raise two (or more children).

If you get a house, it is far more likely to be able to cater for your needs in 5, 10, 25 or even 50 years time.

I would push for a house and then you could avail of the rent a room scheme if you have more space than you need.

Doop wrote: »
    But you can use the lift? :confused:

Not all apartment blocks have lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

House everytime for me.
    Bare in mind though you will spend a fair bit of money possibly fixing things if its an old one, versus a new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Just to add my viewpoint as someone who owns and lives up in Northwood.

I think it is a great area to live, Santry Demense is a hidden gem, if you like going for walks / running etc. Every supermarket under the sun is within a 5-10 minute drive. New Lidl Gullivers Retail Park. Eurospar open 7 - 11 very handy.

Costa Coffee has been refurbished and Gourmet Food Parlour are great for meeting friends and family for a coffee out of the apartment. Ben Dunne gym does the trick for me, quiet pool and great value with loads of free classes.

Buses, plenty into town but busy. Nitelink home at weekends. €2 Crowne Plaza bus to the airport, running 0400 - 0000. Takes 6 minutes!

Parking is far from a nightmare, you have an allocated space which nobody has ever been in. You then get 1 visitors permit and they park in a visitor space, never been any issues parking there. Actually as easy as having your own drive. Access to the M1 / M50 in 2 minutes to get you anywhere. I cycle to work most days in 20 minutes.

Noise, nothing bad at all. If someone is screaming their head off you will hear them faintly. Normal in my experience, never heard a peep from upstairs.

Pyrite was an issue on the ground floor of some blocks, but has all been resolved years ago.

My 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

pc7 wrote: »
    I 'think' some of those northwood apartments have pyrite (open to correction)
    The pyrite was removed from that development, with new infill etc

As a mater of interest, why would you not consider sharing an apartment with someone?
    no personal living space. Its a constant issue, at least in a house, you will typically have a kitchen cum dining rum with separate living room or even possibly two living rooms. Tons of space, you arent always under each others feet...

you can enjoy the garden, I am looking to move out of an apartment now, for these exact reasons...

Advertisement