Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Drill

Options
  • 20-04-2018 10:26am

Hello,
    Some advice needed please.

I made purchase of this drill from Screwfix Ireland in November 2016.

While the drill is decent there has been a problem with the chuck from day 1. Ive grown to adapt to it. However the problem has become worse recently though. The chuck loosens with any use at all and the bit being used drops out. This is becoming frustrating especially as it resulted in me climbing up and down a ladder yesterday to retrieve the bit as I was attempting to do some work.

Do I have any come back on this drill even though I purchased it around 18 months ago?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Possibly, did you purchase it as a consumer or are you using it for paid work? If consumer there could be an argument to be made that it was faulty from day one but you have left it rather late. Get in contact with Screwfix first of all - actually, even if you're using it for paid work its worth asking them as they could have procedures anyway.

Chucks are usually replaceable on anything but the cheapest drills; did have to dump a Bosch due to being non-replaceable though. Good quality replacements that shouldn't open as easily are about 15 quid. This would be cheaper than even small claims court action if Screwfix don't respond positively.

L1011 wrote: »
    Possibly, did you purchase it as a consumer or are you using it for paid work? If consumer there could be an argument to be made that it was faulty from day one but you have left it rather late. Get in contact with Screwfix first of all - actually, even if you're using it for paid work its worth asking them as they could have procedures anyway.

Chucks are usually replaceable on anything but the cheapest drills; did have to dump a Bosch due to being non-replaceable though. Good quality replacements that shouldn't open as easily are about 15 quid. This would be cheaper than even small claims court action if Screwfix don't respond positively.

Thanks
    Its for home DIY only. Yes I did leave it late but in the beginning it was not as bad as it has become now.
    Its a Hitachi and cost €115 during a sale.
    Ive sent them an email there. Is there any obligation for them to repair it or will they just fob me off to Hitachi themselves?

Your contract is with the retailer. As a consumer you have up to 6 years to make claims for manufacturing faults.

Realistically that does not mean the same as a 6 year warranty and it won't be the easiest to prove it was a manufacturing fault

L1011 wrote: »
    Your contract is with the retailer. As a consumer you have up to 6 years to make claims for manufacturing faults.

Realistically that does not mean the same as a 6 year warranty and it won't be the easiest to prove it was a manufacturing fault

Apparently from reading reviews....which I should have done initially....it is a design flaw

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/hitachi-dv18dgl-jg-18v-2-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Open the chuck up fully then look down inside it.
    If you can see a screw (often PZ2 head) unscrew it - normally clockwise (its a reverse thread).
    Close up the chuck on the short end of a decent sized Allen (hex) key.
    Given the end of the Allen key a smack with a hammer so its turning the chuck anti-clockwise.
    The chuck should start to unscrew.
    Replace chuck.

Some options for another keyless chuck https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=keyless+chuck

And a cheap chuck with a locking key https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-292703-Keyed-Chuck-Adaptor/dp/B000LFW3LI/ you don't need the SDS adapter that comes with it.

• Advertisement

If workable, chuck replacement is definitely the path of least resistance here. Screwfix should still be responsible for the design flaw but there is a time when effort and value of time comes in to it.

I use my drills for the odd nixer so not a consumer at all; as well as the unreplaceable Bosch one that went I have replaced the SDS adapter chuck on an 1.1kW SDS with the one linked above; works better than the original did.

Advertisement