Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did 4% rent cap come into effect?

Options
  • 20-04-2018 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

My ex landlord offered me an apartment at €800/m back in late 2013. The rent increased approximately once a year until the last lease renewal in June 2016 when it was increased to €1350.

I'm curious when the rental caps properly came into place and how outside of those this would have been. I'm not looking to take any action, just curious.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Around December 2016 the first RPZs came into force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

RPZs came into effect in December 2016, but prior to that (and currently outside of RPZs), rent reviews and increases could only happen once every 24 months, so your landlord was doing it wrong if they were jacking up the rent once a year. Also, they could only increase your rent to market rates even before RPZs, and they must provide you with details of three comparable rental properties (of roughly the same type and size in a similar location/situation, though they don't have to actually be in your exact area) to justify the new rent. If they failed to provide that information, then all of their rent increases were invalid. You could possibly look into whether you'd be able to recover any of your rent overpayments if they didn't follow the rules regarding their rent reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

dennyk wrote: »
    RPZs came into effect in December 2016, but prior to that (and currently outside of RPZs), rent reviews and increases could only happen once every 24 months, so your landlord was doing it wrong if they were jacking up the rent once a year. Also, they could only increase your rent to market rates even before RPZs, and they must provide you with details of three comparable rental properties (of roughly the same type and size in a similar location/situation, though they don't have to actually be in your exact area) to justify the new rent. If they failed to provide that information, then all of their rent increases were invalid. You could possibly look into whether you'd be able to recover any of your rent overpayments if they didn't follow the rules regarding their rent reviews.

I know the LL personally so I wouldn't go the route of recovering overpayments, but interesting to know thanks. The rent was competitive with market rates. With that being the case, would that null any efforts to recover overpayments even if they were more frequent than once every 24 months out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

newboard wrote: »
    I know the LL personally so I wouldn't go the route of recovering overpayments, but interesting to know thanks. The rent was competitive with market rates. With that being the case, would that null any efforts to recover overpayments even if they were more frequent than once every 24 months out of interest?

If he increased the rent more than once in a 24 month period, the higher rent you paid after the increase during that period would be improper, so you could in theory try to recover the difference. No idea how successful you'd be, though, or whether the RTB would be of any help that long after the fact or if you'd have to pursue it in court yourself. If you and the landlord have a personal relationship, though, then yeah, it's probably not worth ruining that over (although if he is still renting his place out, you might want to give him a gentle reminder to review the rules so he doesn't get himself into trouble with his new tenant(s)...).

Advertisement