Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered a job and then rescinded

Options
  • 20-04-2018 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭

So my girlfriend was offered a job yesterday by a recruiter over email and followed up with a phone call yesterday. Naturally, she was very excited.

Today they emailed back and said they made a mistake and that another candidate who had been offered the job before her hadn't said no yet.

She naturally is heartbroken and very angry as am I for her. Thankfully she hadn't said anything to her current employer.

I don't know what to do now. She has taken so many knocks going for jobs I don't know how I'll pick her up from this

Anyone ever experience something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I've seen several threads on here where people were offered jobs, handed in their notice, and then were told the job was gone, so it seems to be not that unusual. It probably doesn't help that recruiters are the scum of the earth in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

It's very unprofessional. I haven't experienced it myself but it must be common enough given the general advice is never to hand in your notice until you have the contract in your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It can certainly be the case that a position can become redundant after an offer has been made, for a variety of reasons, it's very unfortunate when this happens, from both perspectives, but it can be the sad reality.

What the OP is describing here though is something completely different, i.e. the position is still valid, but an offer has been made by a recruiter which was invalid, seeing as their is another preferred candidate in the pipe. This is an absolute disgrace, and I would make a formal complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Name and Shame thread here, might put them off doing it again...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055011993&page=121

That's stupid behavior from a recruiter. They knew doing it this way would end in tears for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Why not leave a 1 star rating on their Google Reviews with details of their behaviour, so that it's right there when someone Googles the business. Many businesses only have a handful of reviews on their listing so a 1 star can make a big difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement