Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accused of lying by insurance agent

Options
  • 20-04-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,
    A week and a half ago I rang up to to do a change of vehicle on my insurance.

The previous day I had called into the broker's physical office and asked about the two cars I was considering and whether they'd mean an increase on my insurance. The lady in the office first looked up one vehicle (a 08) and said it wouldn't be an increase. I then asked her to check another vehicle (a 02) and she said that it too wouldn't mean an increase.

I bought the 02 that evening, and the next morning rang the broker's phone number (I think their call centre is based in N.I or the UK as it's usually a NI or British accent).

I said that I'd like to change the car on the policy, and she said "The 08 Bravo?" and I said no it's a different one, and gave her the details. She then said there's a €19 increase in the cost on this car. I answered that I was in the office yesterday asking about the 02 as well as the 08 and was told there was no increase for either

She then said no I wasn't, I had only asked about the 08. I can't remember the specific wording but she repeated again that what I was saying was not true. I told her that I don't appreciate being called a liar, and I don't know how their system works but I was certainly in the office the previous day and was told there was no increase. She told me to hold, and came back a minute later saying she just talked to the lady in the office who backed up what I was saying that there should be no charge, and completed the changeover. No apology, etc.

Is this something to chase up? I felt pretty offended that she was so quick to accuse me of lying just like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

So what is the problem ? You got the insurance without an increase in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

The amount of these nonsensical butthurt posts lately on boards is cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

If you're that mortally offended take your business elsewhere and tell them why.

That's your follow up. What else would you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sue them and talk to joe aswell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

There's 45 seconds of my life I'm not getting back, 90 seconds if you include the time i'm taking to write this post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP; forget about it. If you follow it up, and get her reprimanded for it, chances are karma will increase your insurance for 400%-500% next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Z @Lucky they gave you the cheaper quote. If a quote isn't in writing then it's not binding

They did nothing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

newboard wrote: »
    .... she repeated again that what I was saying was not true. I told her that I don't appreciate being called a liar,

She did not accuse you of lying, she said that what you said was not true. There is a big difference.

Even if she had come straight out and accused you of lying, there's nothing you can do about it in terms of suing for defamation because you would have been the only person to hear the accusation.

You can't sue for hurt feelings so get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

BeardySi wrote: »
    That's your follow up. What else would you expect?

Compo!!!

And an apology!!!

In writing!!!!

Cause I was 'offended'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Homer wrote: »
    The amount of these nonsensical butthurt posts lately on boards is cringeworthy

I remember a time on boards when people used to actually try to help other peoples queries. Ah the good old days before millenials ruined everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

daheff wrote: »
    Ah the good old days before millenials ruined everything.

+1 a bunch of hyper-sensitive snowflakes the lot of them. God be with the days when you expected everyone behind a desk to treat you like sh1t but you had the gumption to take it like a man and laugh it off afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most likely scanario - The second quote probably was not recorded or saved in the system. She had no record of it and just said it poorly.

Why are you so upset about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Bridge build over get and it a

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

newboard wrote: »
    Hi all,
    A week and a half ago I rang up to to do a change of vehicle on my insurance.

The previous day I had called into the broker's physical office and asked about the two cars I was considering and whether they'd mean an increase on my insurance. The lady in the office first looked up one vehicle (a 08) and said it wouldn't be an increase. I then asked her to check another vehicle (a 02) and she said that it too wouldn't mean an increase.

I bought the 02 that evening, and the next morning rang the broker's phone number (I think their call centre is based in N.I or the UK as it's usually a NI or British accent).

I said that I'd like to change the car on the policy, and she said "The 08 Bravo?" and I said no it's a different one, and gave her the details. She then said there's a €19 increase in the cost on this car. I answered that I was in the office yesterday asking about the 02 as well as the 08 and was told there was no increase for either

She then said no I wasn't, I had only asked about the 08. I can't remember the specific wording but she repeated again that what I was saying was not true. I told her that I don't appreciate being called a liar, and I don't know how their system works but I was certainly in the office the previous day and was told there was no increase. She told me to hold, and came back a minute later saying she just talked to the lady in the office who backed up what I was saying that there should be no charge, and completed the changeover. No apology, etc.

Is this something to chase up? I felt pretty offended that she was so quick to accuse me of lying just like that.

I was accused of lying by an insurance broker earlier in the year, and despite the reactions of the rest of the posters here, I was actually really upset by it too.

My insurance was with a large insurance company, but was purchased through a broker. I had put a deposit on a new car, and rang my broker so see what would be the costs associated with transferring my policy over to the new car. I was informed that the insurance company I had my policy with had a clause on this particular car that the driver had to be 35+ to drive this car, and as I am under that age my only option was to cancel my policy (even though I was 11 months in and would lose a years no claims), and take out a policy with a different company.

I was obviously quite bothered by this, but set about pricing insurance on the new car with other companies. Just out of curiosity I did an online quote with the insurance company that my broker said would not insure me, and not only did they quote me, but it was the cheapest quote by far! So I called back by broker and told them, and they said I must have typed in the details incorrectly on the online quote, as there was definitely a clause on this car.

The next day, the company rang me as a follow up to my online quote. I discussed with the agent how how my broker was saying there was a clause on this car, and she told me there was no such clause on their system, and to call back the broker again. When I called the broker, again they said that the follow up call was in relation to my incorrect online quote and there was nothing they could do.

I was starting to get really antsy now, as I knew I car given the correct details on the car, so I called up the insurance company and went through the full process of getting a quotation from them. I gave them the full correct details on the new car, and asked the agent to repeat everything back to me, just to confirm. When they quoted me (again!) I explained my situation to the agent. She gave me her name and the details of my insurance quote and advised me to call back the broker and allow them to contact the insurance company and they could verify that they will happily quote me on the car.

So I called back my insurance broker once more. I gave the agent the full details my call with the insurance company, and I was placed on hold. When the agent came back on the line he said that he had spoken to someone at the insurance company, and they verified to him that I had provided them with details of a different car, and that was the only reason they had supplied me with a quote. He told me he was putting a note on my file that I was supplying them with misleading information and that was the end of it.

I was absolutely furious, and the next day I called back to make a complaint, and I sent numerous emails on the matter too. I forwarded them on copies of the car's log book, my receipt of deposit, and copies of the quotations received from the insurance company.

Eventually they came back and allowed me to transfer my policy to the new car, and I dropped the matter, but I agree with the OP that it's really hurtful to be accused of lying.

(Sorry for the essay, but it's still a soft spot for me, and I feel back about the OPs lack of support!)

Advertisement