Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower oil

Options
  • 20-04-2018 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Ive an old ( at least 15 years old) pertol lawnmower.

I'm looking to know what oil i should add to it. is it regular oil - if so what is regular oil these days.

I've some half empty diesel oils for a cal and some synthetic oil bottles in the shed,

Will any of these do

It goes in separately to the petrol - its not a mix combination.

Just looking to know what oils i can use.

Any advise greatly welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

dball wrote: »
    Ive an old ( at least 15 years old) pertol lawnmower.

I'm looking to know what oil i should add to it. is it regular oil - if so what is regular oil these days.

I've some half empty diesel oils for a cal and some synthetic oil bottles in the shed,

Will any of these do

It goes in separately to the petrol - its not a mix combination.

Just looking to know what oils i can use.

Any advise greatly welcome

Thanks

SAE 30

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Don't use synthetic oil, which is meant for modern car engines, in an old lawnmower. It only requires ordinary mineral oil, probably 10W/30, but you need to be certain you have the right viscosity. The likes of B&Q would have lubricating oil specifically for 4-stroke lawnmowers, but it's an expensive way of buying oil.
    It would be helpful if you could name the make and model of the mower.

Advertisement